2nd Year + 40,000 mile Service

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Yesterday I had my 2nd Annual Service at 40,000 miles. I have a 180 BiTurbo 4Motion.

Because of the time interval, 24 months, and milage certain things other that an Engine Oil and Filters change needed to be done. DSG, Haldex coupling and AirCon.

The service was undertaken at South Hereford, some distance from where I live but a useful Christmas shopping destination while the service was undertaken. Took just over 5 hours in total and cost £726 inc VAT.

IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg

Also a nice little video emailed to me while I was having my coffee in Hereford.

https://video.citnow.com/vtNLLWgTHqP

Breeze our van centre offer a video now, be good if the roof repair centres did guess it would be as long as gone with the wind.

Why no brake fluid change thought that was every two years like the air con.?

Why no brake fluid change thought that was every two years like the air con.?
I thought that as well, but apparently not. It is a sealed circuit as is the Power Steering and is changed at 3 years and 2 yearly thereafter unless a leak is detected by the monitoring sensors and then it would be 2 yearly after the repair.

The AirCon is checked for leaks etc: then exhausted and re-charged to replace the lubricant included in the refrigerant used.
If the AirCon is used frequently then they rarely have problems with leaking seals as they are lubricated well. It is when not used frequently then the seals are more prone to failure.

Yesterday I had my 2nd Annual Service at 40,000 miles. I have a 180 BiTurbo 4Motion.

Because of the time interval, 24 months, and milage certain things other that an Engine Oil and Filters change needed to be done. DSG, Haldex coupling and AirCon.

The service was undertaken at South Hereford, some distance from where I live but a useful Christmas shopping destination while the service was undertaken. Took just over 5 hours in total and cost £726 inc VAT.

View attachment 17922
View attachment 17923

Also a nice little video emailed to me while I was having my coffee in Hereford.

https://video.citnow.com/vtNLLWgTHqP
It cost you or VW £726? That's a scary amount of money isn't it?
Is that a normal price for the second annual service?

Is that a normal price for the second annual service?

It is not just a 2nd service, is it, there was also DSG,oil change Haldex coupling service/oil and AirCon.

I've got that bill in 4,000 miles :shocked

Better start cutting down on my Sister's wine now!

More expensive that my (auto) Z4!

Can I assume that these items will be covered under the service contract that I have purchased with the vehicle?

Can I assume that these items will be covered under the service contract that I have purchased with the vehicle?
I doubt it unless you do the mileage. Why do you think the cost is such a bargain. Most owners rarely get to 40,000 in the first 5 years.

Our van has just had it's first service at 2 years old. Probably more typical mileage for a Cali than WG's, only 12600 miles.

The cost was £186 inc VAT. About the same cost as the 600 miles service on my motorbike, so not bad. Plus we were dropped off in Llandudno and picked up later; Cali washed and hoovered and video as per WG. :)

Edit: Correction, cost was £168 inc VAT

Last edited:
I would have liked to see the discs and pads with the wheels off, but I guess that's on a different schedule? A bit old fashioned perhaps but nice to whip the pads out and blow the dust out.

I always suspect the air con service is racket.

I would have liked to see the discs and pads with the wheels off, but I guess that's on a different schedule? A bit old fashioned perhaps but nice to whip the pads out and blow the dust out.

I always suspect the air con service is racket.
With Alloy Wheels it is easy to carry out a visual inspection and use an air jet or jet washer to get rid of dust. With Steel wheels more difficult..
Disagree regarding the AirCon. The system should be used regularly and definitely cleaned and sterilised . It can grow nasty bugs especially if used infrequently. You do need lubricant, internally and that comes in the refrigerant used, so that has to be renewed on a regular basis if you want to lessen the chances of problems.

It can grow nasty bugs especially if used infrequently.
I don't want to send the thread off topic, but it's a closed system isn't it? The air is blown over sealed pipes? If that's the case, who cares if the gas is full of bugs? Bugs in the general ventilation system would be there even if no air con is fitted? I get the lubrication of the seals.

Back