Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

3 pin electrical plug by kitchen unit

Mama Mama

Mama Mama

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi, I have a VW cali T5 and wanted advice about the 3 pin plug by the kitchen unit.

I wondered if I could put an adapter in and run 2 low voltage appliances via the 3 pin when I am on electrical hook up or not? If not (which I feel will be the answer) how can I run another 3 pin plug to the van please? I am planning a trip away this weekend and wanted the camper van ceramic heater on (Auxuillary one not sorted) and an electric blanket in the top bed which I bought with the van.

Is this a big NO NO?
Thanks in advance for your advice.
X

Do you mean low “wattage” as opposed to low voltage.
On my T5 pre facelift Cali the 3 pin socket is the continental socket ie as in France

Do you mean low “wattage” as opposed to low voltage.
On my T5 pre facelift Cali the 3 pin socket is the continental socket ie as in France
Yes, sorry! Low wattage
Can I run two things off it with an adapter?

You can run any number of things up to the load rating of the site supply, usually 13A in the uk (3kW / 3000W) total.
Check your heater and blankets wattage, add them up, then enjoy your warm van...

Meanwhile we are talking about appliances - I have a shoes dryer which is saying on the label 45W, however when attaching to the wall inverter it doesn't work and the inverter becomes red.

Any idea on the reason? Shouldn't it take up to 150W?

Meanwhile we are talking about appliances - I have a shoes dryer which is saying on the label 45W, however when attaching to the wall inverter it doesn't work and the inverter becomes red.

Any idea on the reason? Shouldn't it take up to 150W?
Yes it should work, if it is 45W. 150W is the limit for the inverter.
I can't remember but doesn't the socket light up (red?) when it's plugged into to say it's live? 45W is very low so you wouldn't feel much heat off it if it is working, not initially anyway...

You can run any number of things up to the load rating of the site supply, usually 13A in the uk (3kW / 3000W) total.
Check your heater and blankets wattage, add them up, then enjoy your warm van...
I would be more cautious as the rccb/mcb is only rated at 10amps which is approx 2kw

I would be more cautious as the rccb/mcb is only rated at 10amps which is approx 2kw
Sorry, I didn't know the T5 was 10A, my T6 has a 10mA RCD, I can't see the max current rating but assumed it's 13A...

Reactions: Loz
The automatic personal protection circuit-breaker S59 (also known as a residual-current-operated circuit- breaker) is located at the back of the cupboard in the middle compartment. It is used to protect people and also the electrical cables. For personal protection, it shuts off the 230 volt power supply when there is a fault current over 10mA and, for line protection, at a load of 13A or short-circuit.

I've been digging through the user manual and looking at the RCD but cannot find the max trip current listed, only the 10mA imbalance trip...

edit - just found in the manual - states 2500W / 13A! which don't quite add up...

So to avoid confusion, I'd stick to 2500W max or roughly 10A as JTS mentioned above to be safe, although the RCD will trip if exceeded, just requiring a reset.

Last edited:
I've been digging through the user manual and looking at the RCD but cannot find the max trip current listed, only the 10mA imbalance trip...

edit - just found in the manual - states 2500W / 13A! which don't quite add up...

So to avoid confusion, I'd stick to 2500W max or roughly 10A as JTS mentioned above to be safe, although the RCD will trip if exceeded, just requiring a reset.
Don’t forget to allow for the mains battery charger

I think this threads long enough now... I'd recommend drying your shoes on the stove... (please don't)

There must be a few variations as mine is 13A.

You're right, but as Loz says, take 3A off for the battery charger and VW states a conservative 10A for the socket...
I was replying to John who said his RCBO was 10a, not the recommended load at the actual socket. :thumb

Hi, I have a VW cali T5 and wanted advice about the 3 pin plug by the kitchen unit.

I wondered if I could put an adapter in and run 2 low voltage appliances via the 3 pin when I am on electrical hook up or not? If not (which I feel will be the answer) how can I run another 3 pin plug to the van please? I am planning a trip away this weekend and wanted the camper van ceramic heater on (Auxuillary one not sorted) and an electric blanket in the top bed which I bought with the van.

Is this a big NO NO?
X
We run an electric kettle or toaster or electric hob or tv.off ours, not tried more than one item, so far.

Is this a big NO NO?
X
Found this quite novel extension lead in LIDL Xmas display this week. Bought it cos I thought it would be ideal for spreading sockets around the van . All I've done to it is shorten the wire from the plug to the first socket.

IMG_20191125_101431658.jpg

Found this quite novel extension lead in LIDL Xmas display this week. Bought it cos I thought it would be ideal for spreading sockets around the van . All I've done to it is shorten the wire from the plug to the first socket.

View attachment 52970
Interesting. Make sure you don't overload the circuit though. Maximum 2500 watts in the UK and possibly 1000 watts on some European sites with only a 6 amp campsite supply.

Interesting. Make sure you don't overload the circuit though. Maximum 2500 watts in the UK and possibly 1000 watts on some European sites with only a 6 amp campsite supply.
Yep, will do, thanks. To be fair we've used normal kettle and toaster on hook up in UK a few times with couple of gadgets charging as well on a 4-gang lead. I presume if overloaded then something trips rather than breaks and can then be reset?