3 seater SE / Ocean for cyclists?

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
No, not a discussion of 3 seater benches in Beaches, but a wild idea to use a 5th seat INSTEAD of the rear bench in an SE / Ocean!

I'm not camping at the moment and the van has mainly become a transporter of my electric mountain bike, on solo trips. Although I have a bike rack, I'm tending to put the bike IN the van, with the rear seat pushed all the way forward (stops removed). This does mean I can't use the kitchen without reversing the set up and putting the bike outside.

It struck me I could perhaps remove the rear bench (yep I know it is very heavy), store it, and get a cheap 5th seat to place along side the kitchen (I have 3 rails). It could sit right back in the normal position for the bench.

Then I could operate the kitchen fully, AND have the bike to my right, having all the space from the tailgate to the back of the driver's seat (I'm actually lhd, but keeping it simple by referring to rhd layout). I can get into the front through the gap between the front seats.

Have I gone mad? Will it work? Anyone tried it?

No, not gone mad but maybe examine your feelings toward that bike. Surely yes it will work but easier option? Just leave the bench and single seat out as its easier to put the roof up than move them. That way you can do your cooking in the saddle.

I know very little about e bikes etc. but would it be possible to just remove front wheel of bike and fit bike in boot area or is it still too big?

I know very little about e bikes etc. but would it be possible to just remove front wheel of bike and fit bike in boot area or is it still too big?
Much too long.... Although I'll double check!