Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

30mm lowering - any regrets?

MrNick

MrNick

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Since getting my Cali around a year ago I've been considering getting the 30mm lowering springs fitted. I've read that this will improve the handling (wallowing and rolling at corners/roundabouts), while making the ride a little bit harder and feeling more "planted" on the road - all this sounds good.

I have this booked in for a couple of weeks, but to be honest I'm still not 100% decided on the decision.

The van will look better being slightly lowered, but at 30mm it isn't going to be a massive change, but at least it'll reduce the gaps in the wheel arches a bit. I'll be sticking with 17" wheels. Looks isn't my primary objective here.

I suppose my primary concern is that I'd get it lowered, then end up in a position where the van bottoms out and obviously instantly regretting the decision! Will 30mm even make that much practical difference? That said, our driving is primarily main roads, no off-roading etc, so maybe this isn't an issue and I'm over-worrying (likely).

I don't have the heavy-duty anti-roll bars installed - I wonder if fitting these might be a better option, and achieve the handling improvements without the "risk" of lowering?

So - does anybody who has their van lowered by 30mm regret their decision (possibly even gone back to the original springs)? Or is it something I'll regret not doing sooner?!

Any advice much appreciated! :thumb

• Clever Stuff
Reactions: Smo
I lowered mine 30mm.
Only regret is not doing it sooner.
Better looking and no more seasickness.
It may be a bit of a harder ride but we can´t have everything.

I lowered mine to get it in my garage. Ride is better in some ways, not as good in others. Ride is less rolly but more crash over bumps and potholes. I’m not expecting 3cm to be a problem vis bottoming out, but time will tell

I think it's worth it for the road handling alone but I have had 18's " sportlines fitted shortly after and I have to admit the cabin noise is alot louder. :thumb

No regrets here apart from not doing it sooner

go for it - its a win win. Just make sure you get the tracking adjusted so that your tyres dont wear unevenly (VW say its not necessary but i had mine checked and it was out.) They also damaged the headlight levelling arm on the rear when changing them so if your lights are too high when you get it back from wherever you decide to take it then this will be the problem.

No issues whatsoever looks better drives better and I doubt 30mm will ever cause a ground clearance problem,,It hasn’t for me on any trip or campsite
Go for it

Thanks for all the replies. Seems mostly positive so far!

I lowered mine to get it in my garage. Ride is better in some ways, not as good in others. Ride is less rolly but more crash over bumps and potholes. I’m not expecting 3cm to be a problem vis bottoming out, but time will tell

Hmm less roll is attractive, but as you say the downside is more crashing, when I find the ride crashy enough as it is. Suppose it’s a case of having to make a compromise somewhere...

another benefit of stiffening is that it doesn't move around as much when you re parked up camping, so if there is someone upstairs asleep then it doesn't move about as much.

Not really noticed it being crashy at all....
But I would always avoid potholes at all costs lowering or not..
it’s common sense really

My town has a lot of pot holes so there are quite a few arghh moments when I have my big wheels on my lowered van. When she is on the standard alloys those moments are more oops. But looks wise always good

Since getting my Cali around a year ago I've been considering getting the 30mm lowering springs fitted. I've read that this will improve the handling (wallowing and rolling at corners/roundabouts), while making the ride a little bit harder and feeling more "planted" on the road - all this sounds good.

I have this booked in for a couple of weeks, but to be honest I'm still not 100% decided on the decision.

The van will look better being slightly lowered, but at 30mm it isn't going to be a massive change, but at least it'll reduce the gaps in the wheel arches a bit. I'll be sticking with 17" wheels. Looks isn't my primary objective here.

I suppose my primary concern is that I'd get it lowered, then end up in a position where the van bottoms out and obviously instantly regretting the decision! Will 30mm even make that much practical difference? That said, our driving is primarily main roads, no off-roading etc, so maybe this isn't an issue and I'm over-worrying (likely).

I don't have the heavy-duty anti-roll bars installed - I wonder if fitting these might be a better option, and achieve the handling improvements without the "risk" of lowering?

So - does anybody who has their van lowered by 30mm regret their decision (possibly even gone back to the original springs)? Or is it something I'll regret not doing sooner?!

Any advice much appreciated! :thumb
Also consider converting the suspension to the T32 rated spec which will raise the back of the van and also cure the wallowing issue. There are threads on this and lots of feed back from forum members who have gone down this route. I haven't had this done this yet but I am planning to do it in the future.

My van is a 2014 T32 and its been lowered the 30mm on VW springs. No problems at all. No crashing about on the my factory 17" wheels. I would like to go a bit lower if anything and if VW did a 50mm lowered spring I would go for that. To summarise, do it! You wont regret it but do get tracking/caster/camber checked as advised previously.

My 2017 Beach sits slightly lower at the back standard which seems to be normal, if it was lowered 30mm with the springs does that mean the van would level out and sit more even? also there are 2 options for the springs....what would be the ones I need?

Cheers in advance people

My 2017 Beach sits slightly lower at the back standard which seems to be normal, if it was lowered 30mm with the springs does that mean the van would level out and sit more even? also there are 2 options for the springs....what would be the ones I need?

Cheers in advance people
Yes, I had this issue and lowering sorted it. I can't remember which springs I got but your dealer should know.

Cheers in advance people
No, because the Front Wheel arch is in fact higher than the rear. So if you adjust the suspension to make it Cosmetically level, it will in fact be nose down.

Check out the VW technical drawings here.
https://bb-database.com/jctumbau/web/international/transporter-technische-zeichnungen

Cheers in advance people
Oh no, not this with the wheel arches again! Lots of discussion in this thread, if you can be bothered to wade through it: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/pedders-suspension.10117/ (along with all sorts of opinions).

Had my 2012 Beach lowered using the H&R -40 springs. Less roll and wallowing, especially on roundabouts. For a while I kept bumping my head getting in and out of the side door until the new height was 2nd nature. Do find the big speed bumps give a 'sharper' impact than before.
Mine was done at around 2.5 years old. What I should've done at the same time is get the top mount rubbers changed as well. The existing ones had settled into the 'old' geometry and with the lower springs I had a years worth of creaking when turning at low speed. I might have been unlucky in this (or the fitter was talking rubbish). Either way its OK now and don't regret getting it lowered. If I was in the same situation again I would give serious consideration to changing the springs and shocks. Bilstein do a kit with the -30 springs and uprated (and possibly shorter) shocks. Think its called the B12 kit. and approx £700 (They also do a coilover kit B14 where the height can be adjusted. ) . The fitting charge is likely to be the same if just springs or springs & shocks.

Agree. If money wasn't an issue I would have got Bilstein B14s but they're not cheap.

Agree. If money wasn't an issue I would have got Bilstein B14s but they're not cheap.
Had these on my Kombi (quality)
If warranty wasn’t an issue I’d have b14s on my Cali

Really helpful photo that, as that's pretty much exactly what my Cali will look like after the lowering. :thumb
It sure is that’s vw 30mm springs partially loaded up van .

No regrets - the trade-off already covered above. I think sticking with 17s will be the saviour in your case.

Running bilstein shocks and votgland -50mm springs all round... far better than the original springs for handling and no bottoming our issues.
I’ve gone the extra and also fitted these at the rear to cure any excessive sagging when fully loaded with gear and the bikes. https://www.towsure.com/towing-spring-assisters

People mention it being worse when going over potholes and speed bumps...simple answer avoid pot holes and go slower over speed bumps!

I can guarantee with -30mm springs you will have no issues at all.