Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

38L water tank - is it useful?

Muchos04

Muchos04

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hi there,

Do folk on here fill their water tank before heading off on a trip. I ask because most campsites have water and is it just a case of carrying unnecessary extra weight on the van?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there,

Do folk on here fill their water tank before heading off on a trip. I ask because most campsites have water and is it just a case of carrying unnecessary extra weight on the van?

30 kg is not a problem on a 2550 kg min van.

I fill before leaving home, mainly cos' I'm lazy. I fill from a water carrier and a whale pump rather than a hose.

I fill before leaving as often camping without access to water tap.

Hi there,

Yes allways

If you don't need water then don't fill up , but why should you leave it empty ?
How many profit on fuell saving are you expecting ?
Even if you never cook in the Cali or have no dog on board ,
One always need water even if it is just to wash your hands or clean a stain on your seat , clothing , ....when spilling something.
We have the habbit to freshen up ourselfs each morning , brushing teeth( without water ?) even when not on a campsite , water is essential imo.
Oh , some use botlles water instead filling the tank , you could try that ;)

I always carry 3 litres of water in plastic bottles on the car. It can and does happen that i need to wash my hands, shoes or a bird$hit from the paint or whatever. With the cali i have a dedicated tank so why not use it...
But if I go to a campsite i know for sure they have water , i just fill 10 litres rather than full sometimes, for convenience as i live in a flat and it is easier to fill at the campsite rather than carry 3 times a canister up and down the elevator...

The Beach option is 4 square 2ltr bottles in each front door pocket, 16ltr total. If you don't want to use the tank, it's an easy/flexible option.

Thanks all for the very helpful suggestions. Think consensus is probably fill the damn thing at least partially!!

Good morning,

The van is my daily drive (work, shopping etc.). Normally the water tank is empty. If we go for a day tour I take a bottle of water for tea / coffee / cleaning. For longer trips I always fill up the tank fully.

I clean the fresh water tank 2x a year and the grey water tank once a year. I hope this will be sufficient to keep this part of the camper van fresh and clean.

Regards,
Eberhard

I've owned the van for 8 months and have never filled the tank,for me its pointless as you cant really drink it (bacteria) and i wouldn't want to wash up in the van....I just carry bottled water.

I've owned the van for 8 months and have never filled the tank,for me its pointless as you cant really drink it (bacteria) and i wouldn't want to wash up in the van....I just carry bottled water.

I drink it all the time no problem whatsoever. Just dont leave it there for weeks and use domestic treated water.

I usually put water in the tank when I arrive at a campsite. I rarely fill it, just put in the small amount I expect to need for my stay. I always empty the tank at the end of the camping trip and once a year I use a steriliser in the system.

i fill up and carry 2 15 l jerrycans as fresh water for free often is the hardest to find : many free service stations offer black and grey water disposal but charge for (100 l ) water

but of course, i hardly use campings

Good afternoon,

The California Coast and Ocean are advertised with the kitchen and the fresh water tank (of course with many other items). We try to use those utilities as normal, because otherwise it would defeat the purpose of those functions.

Of course it is important to keep the fresh water tank clean, which I do my best to do. To take advantage of my work we will use the water for coffee, tea or drinking, so far without any problems.

When my wife and I discussed the decision to buy the California I told her that there is so much more work to do than with a normal car. To clean the bespoke water tanks, check that the gas for cooking is in good order, clean and air the fridge on a regular intervals, check the storage that there is no "forgotten" food, check the roof regularly for leaves, dirt (and unfortunately for rust as well), charge the leisure battery regularly etc.

Good thing is that I see this as a hobby and therefore it is not real "work". But time has to be put aside to do all this (which is not easy with the constant rain we have in recent weeks).

Happy California :)
Eberhard

I use 2x 12L containers behind the seat in the Beach hooked up to the slidepod, when one gets empty, I know its time to refill and switch to the other.

Don't use the tank at all. 5ltr tap water bottle (recycled bottle) carried plus bought 1ltr water bottles as required (I know not Eco friendly) but only use sites to stay on with full water and toilet/washroom facilities.
No waste water to dispose of. No tank cleaning or worry about winter frosts.

Don't use the tank at all. 5ltr tap water bottle (recycled bottle) carried plus bought 1ltr water bottles as required (I know not Eco friendly) but only use sites to stay on with full water and toilet/washroom facilities.
No waste water to dispose of. No tank cleaning or worry about winter frosts.

I also carry the 5L bottle, question is where to store it on journeys? I put mine behind the passenger seat, but it falls out from time to time.

Thinking about some kind of strap

I also carry the 5L bottle, question is where to store it on journeys? I put mine behind the passenger seat, but it falls out from time to time.

Thinking about some kind of strap
I used a plastic storage try with some adhesive Velcro to make a holder for my 5litre water carrier.5ECC7115-A6EB-45EE-AEE0-D159C32782D7.jpeg0E6A8444-A8B7-450C-A56D-29A6676AAA2F.jpeg

When we owned an SE, for various reasons, we never did use the water tank, waste water tank, tap or sink. We never wanted to or needed to but that was just us. Since then we have discovered other owners that don't either. It's not obligatory just personal choice.

Fill at home before setting off.
I’ve managed to pitch up, raise the roof and open a beer before remembering I needed to fill the water tank when we arrived. That said, it keeps the kids busy going back and forth with a few 2l bottles.

I don’t see the extra weight as any major fuel consumer, when I consider how much beer, wine and beach stuff we carry too.

If you do chose to fill up on site, I suggest you use your own hose for the last 2m, as I’ve heard horror stories of people using campsite hoses to clean out their onboard loos.

When we owned an SE, for various reasons, we never did use the water tank, waste water tank, tap or sink. We never wanted to or needed to but that was just us. Since then we have discovered other owners that don't either. It's not obligatory just personal choice.

We’ve never used ours. Something about water sitting around and sloshing through the tank doesn’t sit well with me. Even though I’m sure it’s safe and it’s what it is designed for!

Maybe I should give it a try.

We’ve never used ours. Something about water sitting around and sloshing through the tank doesn’t sit well with me. Even though I’m sure it’s safe and it’s what it is designed for!

Maybe I should give it a try.
We tend to only use the “tanked” water for washing etc and keep the drinking water in a 5 litre carrier.

Back