Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

3d printed awning car wash helper

Lin!

Lin!

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hello all
after a few month it was necessary to wash the cali but at the entrance of the car wash they stopped me en said that the carwash was forbidden area for such a dangerous vehicle.
It could easily wreck the drying parts at the end. So i went home and Sketched and printed a part that you can assemble on the slot in front of the awning (see picture)And tested it with good result. Anyone another solution for this problem?

awning spoiler.jpg

Seriously good bit of printing tho, i bin trying to come up with things to print for mine but the best yet is coat hooks..

but actually, this would improve the wind drag of this part.
Yep, that was my initial thought but would it get a TUV certificate at 100mph? (I know that wasn't the OP's aim).

Yep, that was my initial thought but would it get a TUV certificate at 100mph? (I know that wasn't the OP's aim).
Looking at the way it is clamped on, Yes.

I keep looking at mine and thinking that it should be more aerodynamic. Better than my notions.

Spray it to whatever colour you want.

It is now printed in biological plastic(pla)but i am going to try in black abs(like the lego pieces) or xt-cf 320(a carbon material)But i didn't have time yet some times you have to work. :)

Interested if you get to a production and selling point.

I’m not trying to be a kill Joy here. I like it, and have often wondered about the drag from the awning. (And it looks great!). I just wasn’t sure when a product needs proper testing and certification? I trust we wouldn’t buy 3D printed wheels off a bloke on the forum, but we do buy coloured trim pieces for our grills (as an example) from small suppliers.
Having possibly lost one of my bike rack ‘claws’ to vibration (hopefully theft) the possible damage of bits falling off vehicles is fresh in my mind.
When does extensive tuv type testing become necessary?

Hello all
after a few month it was necessary to wash the cali but at the entrance of the car wash they stopped me en said that the carwash was forbidden area for such a dangerous vehicle.
It could easily wreck the drying parts at the end. So i went home and Sketched and printed a part that you can assemble on the slot in front of the awning (see picture)And tested it with good result. Anyone another solution for this problem?

LIN!,
I have exactly same experience at carwash in Belgium. The question is : do they accept this solution at the carwash, is the cali now allowed to drive trough ? I have seen another part offered a a solution for the car wash refusal problem.

I’m not trying to be a kill Joy here. I like it, and have often wondered about the drag from the awning. (And it looks great!). I just wasn’t sure when a product needs proper testing and certification? I trust we wouldn’t buy 3D printed wheels off a bloke on the forum, but we do buy coloured trim pieces for our grills (as an example) from small suppliers.
Having possibly lost one of my bike rack ‘claws’ to vibration (hopefully theft) the possible damage of bits falling off vehicles is fresh in my mind.
When does extensive tuv type testing become necessary?
I don’t think I would be that concerned about a piece of plastic falling off when this can happen. I presume the wheel bolts etc were correctly tested as well and checked.

546CC0EB-3941-4D76-8431-EA4911F53496.jpeg

LIN!,
I have exactly same experience at carwash in Belgium. The question is : do they accept this solution at the carwash, is the cali now allowed to drive trough ? I have seen another part offered a a solution for the car wash refusal problem.
At our carwash we got a green light and nothing was left behind on the Cali:thumb

I would be interested to hear if fitting it reduces the wind noise at speed from the awning.

And the current colour would work for me!

Hope you get the time to work further on it ...

Hello all

View attachment 45098

View attachment 45097
Hi, would you mind sharing your stl and print settings ?

Hello all

View attachment 45098

View attachment 45097
Hi Lin, Is it possible to share the 3d file? Greetings Niel

Back