Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

3rd brake light access

Hulky

Hulky

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hello

Can anyone give me any tips on removing the trim around inside of tale gate window ?
I need to replace the 3rd brake light and I have tried to remove the trim but it won’t budge.
There is nothing to get a good hold to pull it off.And I don’t want to brake it.
Is there a technique or tool to help ?

Thanks John

I've never removed this trim but I suggest you Google 'car trim removal tools' I use a version of these successfully for most trim removal.

Thanks guys for the help
I can’t find a tool for talegate trim online
The problem is there’s no where to grip on to pull off trim
And I have tried sticking a screwdriver down but it won’t give without damaging it

This is what I wrote previously:

"There are about 10 very strong spring clips holding the trim on, if the bootlid is open and horizontal the sides of the trim need pulling down verticaly the top part is pulled horizontally - I needed a wrecking bar carefully inserted to get mine off & you can have hours of fun putting it back as it needs all the clips lining up and pushing in two directions at the same time."

You might want to order some spare clips before you take it apart.

This is what I needed to use! about 18 inch long & 2 inch wide at the end.

images

I have just had to complete this task. With the guidance of the various threads here, I got it off and changed the lamp unit. Brute force and a well padded tent peg puller.

My tip for future readers would be to spend a little time with bull nose pliers and a set of needle nose to bend and reshape the clips. On inspection after removing the trim. A lot were distorted. Which made initial attempts to put the trim back impossible without damaging it, or me.

Back