Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

3rd Gen Amazon Echo in the Cali

DrJuanKerr

DrJuanKerr

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
The 2nd gen Echo Dot is powered by USB to micro USB and has been plugged into a 12v socket via a USB adapter in the Cali and it has worked fine..

The 2nd gen drawn 2.9 watts on average.

The new 3rd gen however isn't powered by a USB and needs a 15w power adapter provided with the Echo dot.

My question is a simple one: Whilst not on hook-up, how could I power a 3rd gen please?
Thanks

We plug ours into the inverter socket

... and that methodology powers your 3rd gen Echo whilst not on hookup OK? I thought the inverter socket behind the passengers seat only worked whilst on hookup?

With an inverter you would be converting 12v DC (Leisure Battery) - to 230V AC - then the echo power supply converts back to 12V - this will work perfectly - but will waste some of your precious leisure battery charge.

There are loads of 5V to 12Vconverters which can convert a USB outlet to 12V to power the 3rd Gen Alexa - like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TWDQXLQ/?tag=eliteelect-21

This would be slightly more efficient.

However since the Alexa is 12V and the battery is 12V the most efficient way would be to get a cigarette lighter to Alexa cable - I have found a few in the US, but not in the UK - perhaps some more googling will find one???

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-Adapt...626405?hash=item546dfe2a65:g:eacAAOSwl2deAJx7

The 2nd gen Echo Dot is powered by USB to micro USB and has been plugged into a 12v socket via a USB adapter in the Cali and it has worked fine..

The 2nd gen drawn 2.9 watts on average.

The new 3rd gen however isn't powered by a USB and needs a 15w power adapter provided with the Echo dot.

My question is a simple one: Whilst not on hook-up, how could I power a 3rd gen please?
Thanks
Weird to get rid of that method of powering, shame. I Like the fact mine can be powered via usb cable.

I'd be tempted to get just get an old gen 2 for the cali in that case, could then be powered via usb and keep the gen 3 at home?

If the new Dot is a 12v device could a cable just be made?
@MattBW It comes with a cable already but with a "house plug" attached. The cable I've bought has a step-up converter and allows me to plug it into a USB. It converts 5V USB to DC 12V

I bought one of these a while back ‘Roav Viva Pro’. Mine works perfectly (once set-up). As far as I am aware amazon doesn’t intend to bring the Echo Auto to the UK but has give the licence to Anker...I may be wrong!

Sorry to be thick but what exactly is an Amazon Echo doing for you in your Cali?

Sorry to be thick but what exactly is an Amazon Echo doing for you in your Cali?
I actually had mine before I had my Cali. I used it to play my amazon playlists and music in general, I also used it to boil my kettle before I arrived home, turn on the heating etc.

I actually had mine before I had my Cali. I used it to play my amazon playlists and music in general, I also used it to boil my kettle before I arrived home, turn on the heating etc.
At home ok, but what does it do in a Cali?
Sorry for being a luddite...

At present, other than stream music/calls and allow drop in’s...nothing. I am thinking about sticking a fan heater in the Cali to pre heat the car on cold mornings as mine doesn’t have auxiliary heating!

@Wiggly Woo All sorts. I can create routines to tell the Mrs I'm the boss when I ask Alexa "Alexa who's the boss?" Or con the Mrs into making tea when I ask "Alexa, who's turn is it to make tea?". I use it to create alarms and easily cancel them. When I ask "Alexa who is right?" miracalously it's always me ;). The list goes on...

In all seriousness however, it's purely to stream my music. I've bought a 128GB iPhone 6S to use as a dedicated mp3 player that I connect to an Anker SoundCore MIni. The sound is phenomenal but the Mrs and I often have "name that tune" type of nights and I know all the songs on the iPod. The Echo gives more diversity albeit I have to stick my fingers in my ears not to hear "Alexa, play xxxx"

@Calimili, see reply to Wiggly Woo above :thumb

@Wiggly Woo All sorts. I can create routines to tell the Mrs I'm the boss when I ask Alexa "Alexa who's the boss?" Or con the Mrs into making tea when I ask "Alexa, who's turn is it to make tea?". I use it to create alarms and easily cancel them. When I ask "Alexa who is right?" miracalously it's always me ;). The list goes on...

In all seriousness however, it's purely to stream my music. I've bought a 128GB iPhone 6S to use as a dedicated mp3 player that I connect to an Anker SoundCore MIni. The sound is phenomenal but the Mrs and I often have "name that tune" type of nights and I know all the songs on the iPod. The Echo gives more diversity albeit I have to stick my fingers in my ears not to hear "Alexa, play xxxx"

@Calimili, see reply to Wiggly Woo above :thumb

Ah thanks for the explanation and Happy New Year.

Hi,
Have you not tried downloading the Amazon Echo App on to your IPhone XS? It would save a lot of hassle for you. Worth a try.
I run the a App and play my playlists, radio etc, they work fine.
I also have a decent B&O Bluetooth speaker that auto connects to Xs for a decent play.

Hi,
Have you not tried downloading the Amazon Echo App on to your IPhone XS? It would save a lot of hassle for you. Worth a try.
I run the a App and play my playlists, radio etc, they work fine.
I also have a decent B&O Bluetooth speaker that auto connects to Xs for a decent play.

I forgot to mention the iPhone XS then works as a dot and responds to most of the Alexa commands.

good luck.

I have two echoes - a v2 linked to a v3 to get stereo music. Works really well, and controls a smart plug and hue lights in our rather over techie van, Ludwig. Useful for calling from the van to our home Alexa as well when driving.

Back