4-motion ride height

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Our 4-motion always looks as though it is going uphill (too low at the rear), particularly when loaded - it really looks wrong.

The rear ride height when unloaded is 29" ground to wheel arch.

What do other 4-motion owners find with their vehicles?

Your comments would be appreciated.

SusiBus

Ours is the same, 29in at the rear, 32 1/2 in front.
However, putting a spirit level on the worktop when the van is on a level surface shows it dead level.

I don't think the wheel arches are the same front to rear, I think the rear arches are smaller/ lower, which doesn't help with the front high look.

What does it measure to the sill in front of the rear wheel and behind the front wheel (that normally looks about level for me, but I don't have a 4mo.

smgcowfold said:
Yes the rear on a 4motion does sit lower due to the extra weight of the haldex system on the rear axle.

thanls

Correct me if I am wrong,
but if the Haldex system sits on the axe, it does not contribute to the chassis weight (although it does contribute to the overall weight), therefore it cannot make the rear springs to lower.
Regards
Andrzej

Andresz said:
smgcowfold said:
Yes the rear on a 4motion does sit lower due to the extra weight of the haldex system on the rear axle.

thanls

Correct me if I am wrong,
but if the Haldex system sits on the axe, it does not contribute to the chassis weight (although it does contribute to the overall weight), therefore it cannot make the rear springs to lower.
Regards
Andrzej

If it was a solid live rear axle then yes that would be the case but the rear diff is suspended from the body with drive shafts on CV joints going to the hubs so it will have an effect on the spring loading. Together with the prop shaft I don't know what the weight is but I guess it's a fair amount.

I think (from memory) 4motion only weighs about 40kg more which wouldn't have much impact on the ride height.

It's quite low at the back but it seems okay for most things - mud flaps acts as a sacrificial height detector!

The arch gaps are enormous - I could sleep in them. But it makes them easy to jet wash :mrgreen:

As per previous thread on Cali ride heights. We have fitted uprated springs to ours to improve ride hight and handling, especially when towing large loads but it is much better all round now handling wise (and has a much better stance :thumb ). The Cali now sits 4.5 cm higher + back.

Pics & info here; https://www.facebook.com/simon.holloway ... 109&type=3

:cool:

As I'm not a Facebook user could you post your uprated rear springs info here please. I'd be interested to know if it's a vw part or other, and if vw, what the part number is. Thanks.

I think (from memory) 4motion only weighs about 40kg more which wouldn't have much impact on the ride height.

It's quite low at the back but it seems okay for most things - mud flaps acts as a sacrificial height detector!

The arch gaps are enormous - I could sleep in them. But it makes them easy to jet wash :mrgreen:

??? Is there a minimum weight before the laws of physics come into play then?

Back