Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4 motion

M

MicA

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Does 4 motion give you any options or is it permanently selected?
I spec’d my Cali with it and I understand it automatically selects which wheels are in need of traction but wondered if you could select any options?
For example, Can I select 2WD?
Thanks!

It’s perm 4mo. Unless you remove the prop shaft and Home make 2mo :thumb

I have a 4 motion DSG (with difflock and all season tyres) which you might think is unusual given that I live in Spain. I chose this configuration because I live in the campo (countryside) and the tracks leading to my home are not asphalted. So when it does rain and believe me when we get rain, we get a lot! the whole area becomes a quagmire with the tracks having the consistency of wet soap. I also have a FWD Berlingo, which essentially becomes grounded in these conditions, but the Cali is a different animal altogether. When driven sensibly, there Is no side slip, no sliding, no wheel spins, just sure footed steady movement. The 4 motion etc will not turn the cali' into a true off roader, so the Paris Dakar or the camel trophy are out, but if you want to venture the beaten track a bit and need a level of dependable control, then I can thoroughly recommend the system I have.

I also have it with the diff lock and it helped me 3 times already,
BTW which all season tires you have? I'm fed up switching tires twice a year

Diff lock isn’t or wasn’t an option when I ordered it in October.
I would’ve had it if it was. Shame.

Diff lock isn’t or wasn’t an option when I ordered it in October.
I would’ve had it if it was. Shame.
Its always an option, the dealers can never find it, I had to tell my dealer the order code.

I also have it with the diff lock and it helped me 3 times already,
BTW which all season tires you have? I'm fed up switching tires twice a year
Hi Pablo, Mine came with Goodyear Vectors as a specified 'all season' tyre option. I can't really comment on wear because I've only done 4k in the vehicle. My initial impressions are that they are very surefooted and quite compliant. I have standard suspension, so I don't expect to be cornering like Lewis Hamiton! So far they seem to be good on the slippy bits which is what I wanted them for.

Hi Pablo, Mine came with Goodyear Vectors as a specified 'all season' tyre option. I can't really comment on wear because I've only done 4k in the vehicle. My initial impressions are that they are very surefooted and quite compliant. I have standard suspension, so I don't expect to be cornering like Lewis Hamiton! So far they seem to be good on the slippy bits which is what I wanted them for.
I've had 2 sets of these tyres, 20,000 miles + on each. Equal wear front and rear on my 4Motion. Having some Michelin Cross ClimTes fitted next week. Present tyres at 24,000 miles and 4mm tread all round.

Does 4 motion give you any options or is it permanently selected?
I spec’d my Cali with it and I understand it automatically selects which wheels are in need of traction but wondered if you could select any options?
For example, Can I select 2WD?
Thanks!

It’s permanently ‘on’ but the van switches to 2wd when 4wd is not required (to save fuel).

It has a Haldex AWD system. Uses Dark Magic to transfer drive between axles as required. Is linked to the stability control gizmos.

It’s permanently ‘on’ but the van switches to 2wd when 4wd is not required (to save fuel).
That is not quite correct. The standard setting for 'normal' driving conditions sends 90% of torque to the front, 10% to the rear, never 0% to the rear. See e.g. this publication to learn more on 4Motion.

Back