Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4 Week tour through Europe. What worked and What didn't.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Well we spent 4 weeks in August driving down through the centre of France to the Ardeche region, across Southern France into Italy to the Italian Riviera then back up through the Italian lakes region, into Switzerland and on to Southern Germany and then home. Just 2 Adults.
We used the Euroshuttle on a 0550 morning crossing having spent the night at the Holiday Hilton which is 5 mins from the terminal.
We stayed at 8 campsites, 4 of which were booked via Eurocamp Independant. 2 were booked Independently and 2 were Municipal Sites which were 1st come so no booking.
The Purists will be aghast at using Eurocamp Independant but
a. They were campsites in good locations with some of the facilities we wanted and
b. You get good Travel Insurance for passengers and vehicle for a very good price.
We booked Euroshuttle ourselves as Eurocamp couldn't offer the times we wanted as they had used their allocation. Didn't matter as I got a good price travelling mid-week outward.
The 1st day was the longest drive, some 400 miles but the rest of the trips between sites were about 250 miles. We used to drive for about 100 miles and then stop for refreshments and also about 50 miles before the camp for the same and fuel so we didn't arrive gasping for a cuppa or the loo.
The Eurocamp sites in the Ardeche had 4 swimming pools with one for Adults only, as SWMBO enjoys swimming . Next to the Ardeche river with canoeing, fishing, a local town with plenty of eateries, although the campsite restaurant was very good, and plenty of recreational cycling. Similarly the German site but here the swimming was provided by the Municipal Lido next door. 2€ daily entrance with 6 pools including a diving pool all in fantastic condition. Also many miles of cycling paths and routes along the Rhine. We stayed at these sites for 6 and 5 nights respectively.
The other 2 Eurocamp sites had good facilities but not dedicated adult swimming or so many cycling facilities for an old timer but we only stayed ther 1 or 2 days.
Our Italian Riviera site we booked ourselves having been before. In a Pine Wood 50m from the sea with its own private beach and you can book sunlougers and Parasole set on the beach for your stay. Excellent beach with lifeguards. Short ride to the town of Castiglionie just down the coast, and lots of cycle paths.another 6 nighters and then north to Paris, just south of Milan. Basic but good amenities on the city outskirts. Plenty of history and culture. Like Sienna etc: but without bus loads of tourists.
Over the Simpson Pass into Switzerlandfor a 1 night stop. Campsite had good facilities and a swimming pool that must have been fed from a glacier. Invigorating though.
Then to the German site.
We stayed at 2 Municipal sites, cheap with excellent toilets/showers and no problems getting in even in August. Both very close to the town centres.

I already have the Sanef Tag for France, so useful as the Tolls are now virtually all unmanned so if you get clocked as Class 2 then it is easy to get this amended but not so easy if you pay by card/cash.
I also hired a AutoPass Tag/Card for Italy which made life so easy. With this you pay the hire charge and tolls via PayPal.
Electrical connections were all via the standard Blue Plug/Socket except on 1 Municipal site that required the Euro adapter that comes with the California and the Swiss site that had a Euro type socket that the adapter wouldn't fit or the Diamond type socket used on the California Inverter socket. But my World Multi adapter fitted OK and then the UK lead adapter.
Temperatures were from 30-38c during our travels but we coped very well. We had the Brandrup Airsafe for the tailgate, the roof windows open, Brandrup Airvents on the front windows and a 7" 50watt electric fan that ran off the Mains clipped to the roof bed front edge directed to the back. We slept on the lower bed and slept well. Might have been the Peroni and local wine.
We do not have mosquito or fly nets and never had a problem in the California despite camping in woods, by rivers and the seaside,but then I do use one of those plug in insect repellents that fits the Inverter socket, from Go Outdoors, which was plugged in and left on for the duration of our stays.
We cooked numerous meals on the gas Hobson as barbecues were not allowed at any of the southern sites due to the fire risks.
The awning was used on every site plus additional panels and poles to extend the area on the longer stays
We took 2 recreational bikes that were used extensively, carried on a Tow hitch carrier an Altera Strata.
Each site we used our pop up toilet tent and Bog in a Bag for night use only.

So what went wrong?
Very little. One Italian Garage where they serve you, common in Italy, didn't like my Fuel Angel anti-petrol system. They insisted on jamming the nozzle in which activated the cut-out. In the end I had to do it.
We used the Awning on every stop despite the temperatures and it failed on the last site. Not the seam but the plastic holder the legs clip into and so the Whole Awning will be replaced shortly.

We covered almost 3000 miles door to door. My SatNav a RNS510 performed flawlessly throughout. No holdups, a few Route changes due to traffic congestion on the excellent European roads, nothing at all until our return to the UK, the good old M25 and the M4 Brynglas Tunnel in Newport.

Have already started planning next years, probably in reverse order and including the Isle de Re to meet up with family.

Hope this is of help to someone and encourages you to look further afield and if there are any questions then I'll try and answer them.

Great review , France is great to explore with a Cali !
Shame you are home to soon , you should have come to taste some champagne with us next week...

Great review , France is great to explore with a Cali !
Shame you are home to soon , you should have come to taste some champagne with us next week...
We would have, but off to Cornwall that weekend.:thumb

Good narrative.

Currently bolted down in St Tropez. Biblical thunderstorm. Normal service due to resume tomorrow.

Heading for Tuscan skies then Le Marche, Croatia, Austria.

#calibeatswork

Good narrative.

Currently bolted down in St Tropez. Biblical thunderstorm. Normal service due to resume tomorrow.

Heading for Tuscan skies then Le Marche, Croatia, Austria.

#calibeatswork
Hopefully weather will be good by the time we get there - we're off next Friday and are heading there via lake annecy and gorges du verdon. We're going there as we wanted a bit of decent weather for a change so won't be happy with thunderstorms!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Read with great interest as we are planning our first European adventure at the end of sept

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Read with great interest as we are planning our first European adventure at the end of sept
Be aware some campsites start closing for the winter from the end of September. The German site we stayed at closes on the 3rd October and the Italian on the 2nd November.

Be aware some campsites start closing for the winter from the end of September. The German site we stayed at closes on the 3rd October and the Italian on the 2nd November.
And in France even earlier - a lot of the sites at lake annecy are starting to close now, and the verdon site that was recommended on here is closing before we get there but have found another nearby.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks

We just had three weeks in the French and Spanish Pyrenees. Driving down through France from Caen was lovely - intending to do some touring round Normandy in the future. We stayed (amongst other places) at two municipal campsites - one at Vers, near Cahors, right on the river, lovely (11 euros) and another at Bedous in the Pyrenees (8 euros) - great value! We stayed a few nights in a self-catering apartment in Spain - I was really glad to get back to the van and have a well-equipped kitchen!

Off to Germany next, with the aid of the ASCI campsite book.

[QUOTE="so if you get clocked as Class 2 then it is easy to get this amended but not so easy if you pay by card/cash.
.[/QUOTE]

How did you get your Class 2 ammended to Class 1? Living in France, I have noticed that sometimes I get tagged as Class 2, sometimes Class 1.

[QUOTE="so if you get clocked as Class 2 then it is easy to get this amended but not so easy if you pay by card/cash.

How did you get your Class 2 ammended to Class 1? Living in France, I have noticed that sometimes I get tagged as Class 2, sometimes Class 1.[/QUOTE]
There is apparently an Appeals process - how it works in France I have no idea I'm afraid. However, I get my Sanef Toll via their UK based company. If your invoice shows a wrong Class during a trip they have a process to correct that.

Last edited:
I already have the Sanef Tag for France, so useful as the Tolls are now virtually all unmanned so if you get clocked as Class 2 then it is easy to get this amended but not so easy if you pay by card/cash.
That is not completely true.

If you pay cash/card you see the classification on the little screen. If it says '2', you push the help button, and say you were incorrectly classed by the system, it should be 1. They say 'Oh, we're sorry!', and change it instantly. You see the classification change to '1' on the screen, the amount payable on average roughly halves, you pay and drive through! Takes 10 seconds all-in-all...
We have had that happen 3 times this last vacation. I think it is much easier than to have it amended on your toll badge invoice later...

Well we spent 4 weeks in August driving down through the centre of France to the Ardeche region, across Southern France into Italy to the Italian Riviera then back up through the Italian lakes region, into Switzerland and on to Southern Germany and then home. Just 2 Adults.
We used the Euroshuttle on a 0550 morning crossing having spent the night at the Holiday Hilton which is 5 mins from the terminal.
We stayed at 8 campsites, 4 of which were booked via Eurocamp Independant. 2 were booked Independently and 2 were Municipal Sites which were 1st come so no booking.
The Purists will be aghast at using Eurocamp Independant but
a. They were campsites in good locations with some of the facilities we wanted and
b. You get good Travel Insurance for passengers and vehicle for a very good price.
We booked Euroshuttle ourselves as Eurocamp couldn't offer the times we wanted as they had used their allocation. Didn't matter as I got a good price travelling mid-week outward.
The 1st day was the longest drive, some 400 miles but the rest of the trips between sites were about 250 miles. We used to drive for about 100 miles and then stop for refreshments and also about 50 miles before the camp for the same and fuel so we didn't arrive gasping for a cuppa or the loo.
The Eurocamp sites in the Ardeche had 4 swimming pools with one for Adults only, as SWMBO enjoys swimming . Next to the Ardeche river with canoeing, fishing, a local town with plenty of eateries, although the campsite restaurant was very good, and plenty of recreational cycling. Similarly the German site but here the swimming was provided by the Municipal Lido next door. 2€ daily entrance with 6 pools including a diving pool all in fantastic condition. Also many miles of cycling paths and routes along the Rhine. We stayed at these sites for 6 and 5 nights respectively.
The other 2 Eurocamp sites had good facilities but not dedicated adult swimming or so many cycling facilities for an old timer but we only stayed ther 1 or 2 days.
Our Italian Riviera site we booked ourselves having been before. In a Pine Wood 50m from the sea with its own private beach and you can book sunlougers and Parasole set on the beach for your stay. Excellent beach with lifeguards. Short ride to the town of Castiglionie just down the coast, and lots of cycle paths.another 6 nighters and then north to Paris, just south of Milan. Basic but good amenities on the city outskirts. Plenty of history and culture. Like Sienna etc: but without bus loads of tourists.
Over the Simpson Pass into Switzerlandfor a 1 night stop. Campsite had good facilities and a swimming pool that must have been fed from a glacier. Invigorating though.
Then to the German site.
We stayed at 2 Municipal sites, cheap with excellent toilets/showers and no problems getting in even in August. Both very close to the town centres.

I also hired a AutoPass Tag/Card for Italy which made life so easy. With this you pay the hire charge and tolls via PayPal.
Electrical connections were all via the standard Blue Plug/Socket except on 1 Municipal site that required the Euro adapter that comes with the California and the Swiss site that had a Euro type socket that the adapter wouldn't fit or the Diamond type socket used on the California Inverter socket. But my World Multi adapter fitted OK and then the UK lead adapter.
Temperatures were from 30-38c during our travels but we coped very well. We had the Brandrup Airsafe for the tailgate, the roof windows open, Brandrup Airvents on the front windows and a 7" 50watt electric fan that ran off the Mains clipped to the roof bed front edge directed to the back. We slept on the lower bed and slept well. Might have been the Peroni and local wine.
We do not have mosquito or fly nets and never had a problem in the California despite camping in woods, by rivers and the seaside,but then I do use one of those plug in insect repellents that fits the Inverter socket, from Go Outdoors, which was plugged in and left on for the duration of our stays.
We cooked numerous meals on the gas Hobson as barbecues were not allowed at any of the southern sites due to the fire risks.
The awning was used on every site plus additional panels and poles to extend the area on the longer stays
We took 2 recreational bikes that were used extensively, carried on a Tow hitch carrier an Altera Strata.
Each site we used our pop up toilet tent and Bog in a Bag for night use only.

So what went wrong?
Very little. One Italian Garage where they serve you, common in Italy, didn't like my Fuel Angel anti-petrol system. They insisted on jamming the nozzle in which activated the cut-out. In the end I had to do it.
We used the Awning on every stop despite the temperatures and it failed on the last site. Not the seam but the plastic holder the legs clip into and so the Whole Awning will be replaced shortly.

We covered almost 3000 miles door to door. My SatNav a RNS510 performed flawlessly throughout. No holdups, a few Route changes due to traffic congestion on the excellent European roads, nothing at all until our return to the UK, the good old M25 and the M4 Brynglas Tunnel in Newport.

Have already started planning next years, probably in reverse order and including the Isle de Re to meet up with family.

Hope this is of help to someone and encourages you to look further afield and if there are any questions then I'll try and answer them.
Sounds awesome wg

If you pay cash/card you see the classification on the little screen. If it says '2', you push the help button, and say you were incorrectly classed by the system, it should be 1. They say 'Oh, we're sorry!', and change it instantly. You see the classification change to '1' on the screen, the amount payable on average roughly halves, you pay and drive through! Takes 10 seconds all-in-all...
We have had that happen 3 times this last vacation. I think it is much easier than to have it amended on your toll badge invoice later...
Others have said that the Operator has refused to do so on occasion and they have been forced to pay Class 2. Also on occasions there has been no answer to the 'Help' button.
I have always been correctly charged, but then I can always use the 2m height lane. From what I can gather using the tag rarely leads to wrong classification and if you had to appeal at least it is in English and just an email away.

How did you get your Class 2 ammended to Class 1? Living in France, I have noticed that sometimes I get tagged as Class 2, sometimes Class 1.
There is apparently an Appeals process - how it works in France I have no idea I'm afraid. However, I get my Sanef Toll via their UK based company. If your invoice shows a wrong Class during a trip they have a process to correct that.[/QUOTE]
Thanks Welsh Gas, I'll do some research.

Good to know, i'll give it a try. I've recently stopped using the toll roads and back to the national routes. Longer but more scenic however occasionally I am time strapped and have to go on the tolls. I'll keep an eye out and continue to use the under 2 meter lane.

Back