Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4motion diff lock

R

Rich Corrado

Could someone please explain why VW charge extra to have a diff lock on the 4motion? Surely it should be standard on the 4wd? Has anyone got any experience with the 4motion and diff lock? I can't believe I have to spend £450 for it!

It used to be standard ,but its a good way to get more cash out of you :)

I think they make it an option because the idea is with the Haldex 4Motion system, you wouldn't need a differential lock... :?

The way I understand it, the Haldex system constantly re-distributes the torque, depending on the driving circumstances (acceleration, constant speed, curves, slip, etc). ESP, ABS and Haldex work together.
If a wheel is spinning on the rear train (when you would want your differential lock), all torque is sent to the front train until the wheel engages again. If a wheel is spinning 100% on the front train, all torque is sent to the rear train until the wheel engages again. In the rare circumstance that a wheel is spinning 100% on the front train AND another wheel on the rear train, then those wheels are braked (until they engage again) so that the other wheel on each train still gets some torque.

Here is a link to an interesting VW technical self-training manual (in English) on the 4Motion Haldex system that, among a lot of other things, explains these principles (page 16 & 17).

I agree, it's a rip off but if you're spending a lot of cash on a 4Motion then for me it's a must.
If you do need it then you'll be kicking yourself for not spending the extra.
It's like other bits on the Cali, headlamp washers should be standard for the price as should a heated rear screen which doesn't even seem to be an option.

briwy said:
It's like other bits on the Cali, headlamp washers should be standard for the price as should a heated rear screen which doesn't even seem to be an option.

Are you really saying that the Cali doesn't even have a heated rear screen. :eek: I thought that these were fairly standard in the last 15 years or so. Maybe I should confirm that it has an automatic choke :laugh2

Interesting reading. Good to see the original Audi Quattro (1980's) hollow shaft principle still in use.

S.

Looby said:
briwy said:

Are you really saying that the Cali doesn't even have a heated rear windscreen. :eek: I thought that these were fairly standard in the last 15 years or so. Maybe I should confirm that it has an automatic choke :laugh2

Handbag hook is extra as well. :lol:

So am I wrong in saying its not really necessary?

From what I can see the 4motion should deal with any scenario adequately.

Why would you need the diff lock?

Looby said:
Are you really saying that the Cali doesn't even have a heated rear screen. :eek: I thought that these were fairly standard in the last 15 years or so. Maybe I should confirm that it has an automatic choke :laugh2

They're double glazed.. that isn't standard on most cars. Mine has never frozen up!

Rich Corrado said:
It should, indeed. But hey, it is steered by electronics, and when they fail you, the diff lock is good old fashioned 'hardware' technology that will still work (only on the rear axle, though...).

bvddobb said:
Rich Corrado said:
It should, indeed. But hey, it is steered by electronics, and when they fail you, the diff lock is good old fashioned 'hardware' technology that will still work (only on the rear axle, though...).
I have driven a very old Defender, years ago, with all the mechanical 4WD gear. It was not fun to drive in 4WD mode, difficult to engage turns, etc.
We have our 4Motion Cali 6 weeks now, and the fun is: it is permanent 4WD, but you do not notice it at all! We have only driven off road once yet, and then sometimes for a split second you feel a wheel start to slip in the mud, but it is immediately corrected. On youtube you can find lots of interesting movies showing the 4Motion's capabilities.

We will be experiencing the real capabilities shortly: this week Saturday we will be with our 4Motion Cali on a whole day's 4WD off road training...

Has anyone ever needed to use the diff lock? I don't doubt the quality of the 4motion, but I just cant decide if the diff lock is worth paying for.

I have owned lots of 4 wheel drive cars in the past but never needed to use the diff lock. That said they only car that had a diff lock was a Subaru. The Range Rover Sport/Discovery/Pathfinder did not even have one (as far as I'm aware) :headbang

It's one of those things, the ONE time you need it you'll be wishing you'd spent the money.
You'll be sitting there stuck, wondering, why oh why oh why? :headbang

It's obviously deemed by VW to be an improvement or they wouldn't offer it as an option.

I think it's worth the money. Don't spoil the job. :thumb

S.

It's an each to their own question. I have always had 4WD's and used to write articles for Landrover Magazine. (My claim to fame was being photographed ruefully looking at a big dent in one of the aluminium panels on a brand new RR2 that had just had an argument with a tree whilst on test. My comment, muttering "Never mind. It is only recycled beer cans", being quoted all over!).

I rarely used the diff lock and on my current X3 I don't have one and it still got me through some horrendous snow and ice conditions last year. If I was seriously looking to go mud-plugging or at risk of being stranded in some truly isolated and inhospitable regions then I would have all the bells and whistles going. All my Landrovers had big winches on the front and vertical exhausts but no one would advocate that on a Cali.

All I want is the comfort that camping wild or on grass in winter I am going to have a fighting chance of getting off and getting moving without assistance. 4 wheel drive with decent tyres would cope with most of everything other than total extreme conditions.

In the event that I do get stuck, well, make sure that there is wine in the cupboard, champagne in the fridge and a couple of good video's on the laptop :D

I have a few 4 motions on the fleet, and all with diff lock(bar one, I forgot to add!!). It seems pointless to have it without, even though it used to be included with this option.

For me it is essential as I do a lot of towing, especially my boat up and down a very slippery ramp, with lots of clay at the bottom, Ive never had a problem.

My wifes RS3 has the same haldex 4wd system, but no diff lock, but then it doesn't tow, just goes extremely fast.....

Hello Rich,

I have used diff lock once so far when I very nearly got stuck coming out of a field worked a treat. My advise for whats its worth is get it otherwise you will always be wishing you had and its not something you can add on easily at a later date.

Well put us out of our misery did you or didn't you :?:

Calikev said:
Well put us out of our misery did you or didn't you :?:

Maybe he decided on a white, manual, with 5 seats and doesn't want to tell us :laugh2

I've not needed it yet but also haven't pushed ours all that hard (just mud and wet grass mostly). However I've needed diff lock a number of times on 4x4s and am glad we have it - it's a bit tight charging extra for it now though! :headbang

We are just back from a full day's 4WD off road training with our Cali 4Motion. We looked like a bit of a strange duck amidst different types of Land Rover and even an old Swedish Volvo 'Lapland' army truck, all with lots of gear, winches, snorkels, what have you, and we were a bit frowned upon... :oops: . We only had our M+S winter tyres on. They had never had a 4Motion or Synchro Transporter in their trainings before, but the trainer supervisor had experienced them in the field in Tunesia and felt comfortable enough to allow us on the course.

And here's the story: our Cali held up our honour terrifically well!! It was very wet and muddy and slippery with deep tracks and rather steep climbs and descends. Yet there were many climbs where some of the Land Rovers needed 4 or 5 tries, and just slid back, where we happily raced up in one try, once we got the hang of it :lol: , and the steering through the mud was very tight and precise. Never needed the diff lock in all this (we don't have it, nor low gear...). We never got stuck so that we couldn't get out ourselves and needed help.

The trainers were very happily surprised at our Cali's capabilities, and so were we :cool: . 4Motion rocks! The car is very dirty now, but all our plates, chinaware and glasses are all still in one piece!

I will try and post some pictures or videos shortly.

Back