Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4motion diff lock

I already have some photo's of our 4WD off road training for you guys on Picasaweb. Gives you an idea of some of our challenges...

I hope to have some video's on Youtube shortly.

Calikev said:
Well put us out of our misery did you or didn't you :?:

Well I did go for the diff lock but after reading this I'm thinking of taking it off the order!

bvddobb said:
I already have some photo's of our 4WD off road training for you guys on Picasaweb. Gives you an idea of some of our challenges...

Those are nice pics Bart and I am suitably jealous.

I hope you did not have any eggs in the fridge, or, if you did you have a penchant for scrambled ones! :D

bvddobb said:

Hmmm... I see I have done something wrong: I see now that the pictures are all very small on Picasa. I will upload the full sizes shortly, when I have the video's as well.

GrannyJen said:
Those are nice pics Bart and I am suitably jealous.

I hope you did not have any eggs in the fridge, or, if you did you have a penchant for scrambled ones! :D
Well, no eggs, but some bubbly... which we didn't open after all: it might have sprayed everywhere... :lol:

IMG_1357.jpg

Would that be a "Dork" degree ? :clap

(just kidding, love the pictures and would love to see the videos).

Attachments

• IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 9
I think mine was one of the last months deliveries it was a free option, May 2012.

I have used it once with one wheel dangling in mid-air. Would it have done it without, I dunno as I had it fitted i turned it on in case. It can be a bit weird on the steering though for sure.

We are just back from a full day's 4WD off road training with our Cali 4Motion. We looked like a bit of a strange duck amidst different types of Land Rover and even an old Swedish Volvo 'Lapland' army truck, all with lots of gear, winches, snorkels, what have you, and we were a bit frowned upon... :oops: . We only had our M+S winter tyres on. They had never had a 4Motion or Synchro Transporter in their trainings before, but the trainer supervisor had experienced them in the field in Tunesia and felt comfortable enough to allow us on the course.

And here's the story: our Cali held up our honour terrifically well!! It was very wet and muddy and slippery with deep tracks and rather steep climbs and descends. Yet there were many climbs where some of the Land Rovers needed 4 or 5 tries, and just slid back, where we happily raced up in one try, once we got the hang of it :lol: , and the steering through the mud was very tight and precise. Never needed the diff lock in all this (we don't have it, nor low gear...). We never got stuck so that we couldn't get out ourselves and needed help.

The trainers were very happily surprised at our Cali's capabilities, and so were we :cool: . 4Motion rocks! The car is very dirty now, but all our plates, chinaware and glasses are all still in one piece!

I will try and post some pictures or videos shortly.
Did you have/need mechanical diff lock?

No, no mechanical diff lock.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I have owned lots of 4 wheel drive cars in the past but never needed to use the diff lock. That said they only car that had a diff lock was a Subaru. The Range Rover Sport/Discovery/Pathfinder did not even have one (as far as I'm aware) :headbang
I had a Discovery 4 which had both transmission (locks front and back axles) and diff locks. Never needed any engaged. Also had a Defender that only needed locks for serious off road conditions.

The Cali only has an optional rear axle lock, front or front to rear not locked other than Haldex.
Also you need to remember that on a solid surface the left and right wheels are driven at the same rate, if turning the diff gets stressed as does the whole axle due to one wheel having to spin. This also makes any turning difficult.

Not ordered personally, too pricey for something that I can't foresee needing. If you intend single track or Green Lane adventures, or live in a snowy hilly region, then probably yes.

Hello, great story, nice pictures. I just ordered a vw t6 with 4motion and diff lock. Where did you had this 4x4 course ? I think nice to do, hope to hear, regards frank

Hi Frank,

In this thread there is talk of a basic off-road training we did in The Netherlands late 2013, when we had just bought our Cali and just had our air suspension system fitted. We had driven Landrovers off the beaten track before, but never a heavy Cali, and we were curious to learn what was possible...
There is a thread on that course with some pictures and a movie link on this forum, under this link.
We did this course with this organisation: 4wdtravel.nl.

In May 2016 we did a more advanced training at the 2nd VW Transporter 4Motion Off-Road Festival, organised by Seikel and a few of their partners, in Germany. By then we had also raised the motor air intake, raised the drive train vents, and had metal underside protection fitted, and by now had some experience off regular roads from several holiday trips.
We liked this training very much, because it was specific to our type of vehicle.
There is a thread on that course with some pictures and a movie link on this forum, under this link.
This year they organise the 3rd VW Transporter 4Motion Off-Road Festival. We placed an announcement on this forum under this link.

After that training we made a trip to Iceland's Highlands, last September.
There is a thread on our trip with some pictures and a movie link on this forum, under this link.

Last edited:
Dank bart for your answers, tips and great video,s. I think its great to use your car this way and make such beautiful trips. I first have to wait a few months and than decide wenn to change the suspension. Maybe first a basic course to start with Thanks again, frank

Back