Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4Motion reapir troubles may coming?

H

Holidaymaker

Vehicle
N/A
Cannot now ordering new 4M california / Gc. Who is knowing why?

If is such parts not available Vw can building - what is happen we who is having 4M camping machine today and is 4M system is become kaput?

If is Vw cannot make new camping machine such they cannot obtain parts, how is they can repair no function 4M camper this year?

Is value our Vw 4M camper collapse when is peoples are know cannot this camper cannot vw repair - Vw is cannot parts obtain?

Honestly, I think it's pointless worrying about an unlikely 4M repair unless it's actually required.
The most likely reason why 4M was removed from the lineup (in my opinion) has to do with shifting Transporter production to the Ford plant in Turkey.

Honestly, I think it's pointless worrying about an unlikely 4M repair unless it's actually required.
The most likely reason why 4M was removed from the lineup (in my opinion) has to do with shifting Transporter production to the Ford plant in Turkey.
I don't think its the move, all crafters are affected as well & MAN

Cannot now ordering new 4M california / Gc. Who is knowing why?

If is such parts not available Vw can building - what is happen we who is having 4M camping machine today and is 4M system is become kaput?

If is Vw cannot make new camping machine such they cannot obtain parts, how is they can repair no function 4M camper this year?

Is value our Vw 4M camper collapse when is peoples are know cannot this camper cannot vw repair - Vw is cannot parts obtain?
Parts supply. Discussed many times on various threads. Same for paint colours and various electrical functions. Nothing to do with the "new" Cali which is touted to be a Ford/VW crossbadged Transporter replacement (no ID Buzz as the dreamers have predicted) but some years away yet.

I read that VW aren't accepting orders for Kombi vans as they are a 2 year wait.

I tend to think that the forthcoming Euro7 regulation and Manufacturers saying that due to the research/development costs involved it would not be possible to recoup those costs in vehicles that have less than 2 years of production left.
Money being required for EV development is another factor.
T6.1 is obviously in that category so expect a closing of all orders in the near future.

Last edited:
Parts supply. Discussed many times on various threads. Same for paint colours and various electrical functions. Nothing to do with the "new" Cali which is touted to be a Ford/VW crossbadged Transporter replacement (no ID Buzz as the dreamers have predicted) but some years away yet.
This side of the Channel, the consensus is that the parts supply are no longer an issue, in fact delivery times are back to normal. It is not the case that only the 4M parts are missing. Instead as the T6.1 will no longer be produced, VW needs to reduce the options available until it will be completely stopped, as this makes economic and business sense.
But contrary to the OP worries, I think the second hand value of 4M version will actually increase.
The T3 Syncro production has long being stopped, so spare parts worries are definitely a worry, but didn't seem to have affect second hand value at all, on the contrary.

This side of the Channel, the consensus is that the parts supply are no longer an issue, in fact delivery times are back to normal. It is not the case that only the 4M parts are missing. Instead as the T6.1 will no longer be produced, VW needs to reduce the options available until it will be completely stopped, as this makes economic and business sense.
But contrary to the OP worries, I think the second hand value of 4M version will actually increase.
The T3 Syncro production has long being stopped, so spare parts worries are definitely a worry, but didn't seem to have affect second hand value at all, on the contrary.
I think you make some interesting points and while I value your opinion what you say about reducing options is incorrect and mostly speculation. I worked in a car factory for 27 years and until the day a model is stopped or moved to another plant most if not all versions are available. Given the markup and profit this is what makes business sense.

Lead times are much better than we ordered, precisely because VW have reduced the need for some complex parts. Albeit temporarily. 4M. Sensors. Colours. General consensus from most, inc the feedback to dealers from VW UK, is that options limitations are temporary. Now - that does not mean that VW may say that 4M is ordered by so few customers for a Cali they remove completely, but that is not necessarily linked directly to model change.

On top of that the conversations around the next 1T Transporter are far from clear. The best we can gauge is that the new one will be a shared platform (read chassis, engine, majors parts) led by Ford, the so called "Project Cyclone". We did this extensively with Vans with the Nissan, Vauxhall and Renault 1T van all being a shared base called the X83.

When that is is open to debate is but the best guess from VW/Ford themselves seems to be anytime between 2023 and 2025 but they are very coy about actual dates.

That a lot of online articles are conflating the T7/Buzz as a replacement to the T6.1 (it isn't) misses the point and is just poor reporting leading to tedious speculation.

Their focus today is shared electric platforms and no doubt Covid and Ukraine have dented a great deal of timing plans.

1675941027897.png

Last edited:
In response to this thread's title.
There should be no issue with 4 Motion repairs going forward. The heart of 4 Motion is the Haldex Clutch, which is fitted to lots of cars. If serviced correctly the only part that eventually fails is the Haldex oil pump as it runs continuously whilst driving.
For 5th Generation Haldex (which does not have a filter) be sure to remove the Haldex oil pump and clean the gauze particulate trap on each Haldex oil change which is every 3 years 30k miles). Note VW advise service every 40k miles and they tend not to bother to clean this gauze unless you ask them. Expect a Haldex oil pump to last between 60k miles and 90k miles.

In response to this thread's title.
There should be no issue with 4 Motion repairs going forward. The heart of 4 Motion is the Haldex Clutch, which is fitted to lots of cars. If serviced correctly the only part that eventually fails is the Haldex oil pump as it runs continuously whilst driving.
For 5th Generation Haldex (which does not have a filter) be sure to remove the Haldex oil pump and clean the gauze particulate trap on each Haldex oil change which is every 3 years 30k miles). Note VW advise service every 40k miles and they tend not to bother to clean this gauze unless you ask them. Expect a Haldex oil pump to last between 60k miles and 90k miles.
Interesting. First time I've heard this mentioned. Certainly , rarely if ever mentioned on the T5/6 Forums.
I'm now on 120,000 miles, 2014 4 Motion regularly serviced by one of the good VW Dealerships .

The haldex pump gauze/non replaceable filter clogging up and causing pump failure is well known on the Golf R owners club. I have taken pump off and cleaned the gauze every couple years because the dealer doesn’t do it as part of the haldex service, some do is asked and others refuse.
the gauze on my haldex pump was pretty clogged the first time it cleaned it.

maybe less of an issue in vans because the vastly more power - 310bhp on the golf R and way they are potentially driven harder means the haldex is used more ?

The haldex pump gauze/non replaceable filter clogging up and causing pump failure is well known on the Golf R owners club. I have taken pump off and cleaned the gauze every couple years because the dealer doesn’t do it as part of the haldex service, some do is asked and others refuse.
the gauze on my haldex pump was pretty clogged the first time it cleaned it.

maybe less of an issue in vans because the vastly more power - 310bhp on the golf R and way they are potentially driven harder means the haldex is used more ?
I wouldn't say vastly more power, usually 204 or in my case 255 plus nearly twice the weight to move/restrain. Torque being the main factor in drivetrains.

Driven aspect is as you say.

Back