Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4Motion Susspension

R

Ruben

I recently bought a T5 comfortline California travel 4 motion. I noticed the rear suspension is slightly lower than the front one (being empty).

Furthermore, when comparing the height on the back, between the floor and the vehicle it is significantly lower than a normal T5 without 4motion.

I went to the garage AMAG where I bought the Cali and they told me that is normal, that it the T5 4motion is lower on the rear than the normal T5 because the weight of the 4motion.

Personally, I find it bizarre that a 4 motion is LOWER than a normal T5, at least it should have the same height on the rear, the same space between the floor and the vehicle but not lower.

I would be highly GRATEFUL if you could help me to find some clarity on this.

MILLION THANKS

Ruben

It is indeed lower at the back.
When I bought mine the dealer explained why.
It wasn't simple (not as simple as being heavier at the back than two wheel drives) and I can't remember what the explanation was :crazy
It was a long time ago.

Surely they would be beef up the suspension at the rear to compensate for the added weight.

Well... Sounds bizarre! Our 4motion is on the rear about 1 cm higher than on the front. Our 4Motion has about 2 cm more clearance than a regular Cali, not less. But we have air suspension, so I have no idea what the factory setting is. But lower than regular sounds bizarre for a 4Motion.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

This has been a thread before... and it is all a bit odd. Our 4Motion is also lower at the back, but stuff like drainage out of the sink and sitting level are fine when set up this way....

That said, if Santa is kind,I am going for the VB suspension after Christmas as it does sit too low for some of the stuff on my to go list....M

This is correct, the rear will be slightly lower on a 4MOtion California than the front. Nothing to worry about.

Thanks

Hello All,

Many thanks for your replies.

We bought it with a STANDARD SUSPENSION, not air or any other type. When I ask the garage AMAG whether they would recommend to change the rear suspension they mentioned not to touch it due to safety, and insurance issues I guess.

It think the design of the 4 motion should maintain the same height if not higher than a normal T 5, specially on that back. There is a reason why we buy a 4 motion in addition to additional security on roads with ice and snow...

I Believe Iwould benefit from a higher rear suspensions specially when the van is fully loaded.
QUESTION: Should I change the rear suspensions and raise it a few cms, is there a suspension model that REALLY gets along with the VW T5 California 4 motion? or you would rather leave it as it is.

MANY THANKS To ALL

Interested to know, has the 2017 4 motion rear end been raised?

We have changed to a T6 from our T5 both 4 motion. we put air suspension on the T5 due to the droopy rear end, but it does seem like the standard suspension on the T6 4 motion is keeping the rear end level to a greater extent. We had intended to fit the VB airs us as well, but not sure if it is warranted based on the newer ride etc.... although I do like the auto level and limbo into car park functions......