Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 Beach Advice

A

Aleksander

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi everyone - new poster here who is considering ordering a 6.1 Beach Camper as we took an Ocean for a test drive today and felt that the Ocean just doesn't fit our family needs. We are a family of 4 (thinking of 5 in the near the future) in the living on the South Coast with lots of activities to undertake - for this reason a Beach fits our family requirements as an everyday vehicle capable of transporting 4-5 people and a day vehicle when we're out paddle boarding, for example.

The Ocean today had a kitchen that seems to take up a lot of room (we're tall and appreciate the extra space we would obtain from not having the kitchen and cupboards and frankly there was a lot of noise emanating from them and on close inspection you really can't store a lot within them - not having the kitchen would provide us with more flexibility. If we were to camp the new small kitchen or an outdoor unit would suffice for us.

I've looked elsewhere in the forum and obviously everyone has their own opinions but wondered what everyone thinks about the above - There is a great article called ditchin' the kitchen which outlines how the beach can work well for some people:

I was starting to think about the options and what people felt was necessary, bearing in mind that everyone's opinions/needs will differ:

1 - Electric roof/door - I'd rather go manual - there's less to go wrong and hence fix. The electric roof on the ocean today gave me the heebie jeebies.

2 - LED headlights - Youtube channel A bus and Beyond as well as others here have mixed opinions but they seem provide much better illumination

3 - Navigation system/Discover media/Streaming internet - this seems to be redundant as we would use our phones plugged in to CarPlay.

4 - Parking sensors front and rear and camera - deemed a must after test driving the ocean yesterday.

5 - The driver assistance package - £3k seems a lot for heated wing mirrors, folding wing mirrors and rain sensing wipers amongst other things but I can see you can have the wing mirror option independently.

6 - Tinted windows seem like a good option

7 - This is confusing for me - we may not camp that often however the option to heat the van is imperative - there are two options, the auxiliary heater with programmable control for £2352 and the other option which is the Climatronic 3 zone air conditioning with 2nd evaporator, auxiliary heater, air conditioned headliner and additional passenger control for £1002 - I am right in thinking that the second cheaper option provides me with more control to the rear of the cabin for passengers as well as the night time heater I require just without the remote control and is cheaper?

8 - Parking assist - anyone with any ideas on whether this is at all useful?

Thank you for any of your ideas/inputs

7 -

Beach owner so will give you quick opinions.
1. Electric door, I have the electric latching which helps close the door after you have manually closed it. Have heard issues with electric door when not on level ground but would be handy in some situations.
2. If you drive at night on unlit roads definitely go for the lights.
3. CarPlay user but better system has better speakers so it may be important to you.
4. Camera a must.
5. not sure what’s in the package but I have emergency city brake and parking assistant (came with van) which are good to have. Heated everything I would suggest.
6. You have 2 separate things here. Climate control was a must for us as gives separate cooling for the rear. Standard has no AC in rear and it’s a big space to cool. Having had an SE and a beach without, it’s a must have IMO. The auxiliary parking heater is the diesel parking heater which heats the van when the engine is off. Again a must have and great for resale.
7 missing from your list is towbar or towbar prep. Much easier to get it factory equipped and comes with trailer assist which is a stability control for when towing. You may not need it now but a lot of folks end up with bikes on towbar at some point.

Get the electrical hookup. Charging the leisure battery from the engine even with boost mode is not as effective as hooking up to charge, I have found I get an extra day if charging from mains compared to alternator charging alone.

final comment is on the beach camper kitchen. It’s a nice to have, I still take a gas stove to cook outside, but find the kettle is boiled inside so there is likely to be some duplication. The built in stove does take up some floor space which is only noticeable when installing a fridge inside, it’s pushed more into the van. Not a show stopper just one to be aware of.

good luck with your research!

Great they’ve reintroduced the Beach just in time for you. It sounds like the perfect choice for your needs, mainly because you need 5 seats which is a squeeze and faff in an Ocean.
I agree with all your thinking except the cupboards in an Ocean are actually Tardises that swallow more than their capacity. I don’t know how VW made the physics work. I expect the box on the Beach will use the same technology!

Couple of thoughts on your list:
3. You can wirelessly connect, but the bigger screen was worth the upgrade for me.
4. Rear view camera is worth £300 in addition to sensors.
5. Driver assistance also seems to include automatic cruise control (standard on Ocean), Lane assist, traffic sign recognition. Non of this is retrofittable. If you can afford it, you will be glad of at least th ACC which takes the sting out of long journeys.
7. Both essential in my view, but the aux heater number one. It runs off diesel in the tank to tick away all night (or just when you get in after a cold wet walk) to keep the van warm. In the U.K. I think you’d regret not ticking that box. The 3 zone climatronic is fantastic if you’ve got people in the back on hot days. The front a/c isn’t designed to keep the rear cool - works ok in the U.K. but not in the south of France.
8. Park Assist comes with the parking sensors, and even with the camera is a handy gadget for automatic steering into tight parking spaces (you work the pedals).

The other options I would consider are:
-the bigger fuel tank for £80ish (might save the day if you’re racing for a ferry or low on fuel when you need the aux heater?)
-Dynamic Chassis Control. Many on here find the ride wallowy. You can upgrade the suspension/ARBs aftermarket of course but the DCC button on the dash allows you to firm up for the twisty stuff, or soften down for the motorway/crashing round town potholes.

In all, it was a bitter pill for us to find that so many options needed ticking ... but we plan on keeping the van for decades so FOMO made us finance more than I’d hoped...

Last edited:
Beach owner so will give you quick opinions.
1. Electric door, I have the electric latching which helps close the door after you have manually closed it. Have heard issues with electric door when not on level ground but would be handy in some situations.
2. If you drive at night on unlit roads definitely go for the lights.
3. CarPlay user but better system has better speakers so it may be important to you.
4. Camera a must.
5. not sure what’s in the package but I have emergency city brake and parking assistant (came with van) which are good to have. Heated everything I would suggest.
6. You have 2 separate things here. Climate control was a must for us as gives separate cooling for the rear. Standard has no AC in rear and it’s a big space to cool. Having had an SE and a beach without, it’s a must have IMO. The auxiliary parking heater is the diesel parking heater which heats the van when the engine is off. Again a must have and great for resale.
7 missing from your list is towbar or towbar prep. Much easier to get it factory equipped and comes with trailer assist which is a stability control for when towing. You may not need it now but a lot of folks end up with bikes on towbar at some point.

Get the electrical hookup. Charging the leisure battery from the engine even with boost mode is not as effective as hooking up to charge, I have found I get an extra day if charging from mains compared to alternator charging alone.

final comment is on the beach camper kitchen. It’s a nice to have, I still take a gas stove to cook outside, but find the kettle is boiled inside so there is likely to be some duplication. The built in stove does take up some floor space which is only noticeable when installing a fridge inside, it’s pushed more into the van. Not a show stopper just one to be aware of.

good luck with your research!
Wow - thank you for the very quick reply and useful information - it's nice to hear from a Beach owner with real world experience . I've sought to clarify from the very helpful dealer about the climate control and the heater and whether they are separate entities or mutually exclusive - I agree that you really need both.

The electrical hookup is standard with the Beach Camper but not the Beach tourer so that should be sorted - it's useful to know that the hookup provides more 'juice' to the battery. May need to have a hookup installed at home.

I hadn't thought about the tow bar and that's a really useful suggestion - bikes are going to be a big part of what we do as a family and I believe allows you to still open the rear door in videos I've seen.

Thanks for your help - very much appreciated - please let me know if you have any other insights!

Aleks

Wow - thank you for the very quick reply and useful information - it's nice to hear from a Beach owner with real world experience . I've sought to clarify from the very helpful dealer about the climate control and the heater and whether they are separate entities or mutually exclusive - I agree that you really need both.

The electrical hookup is standard with the Beach Camper but not the Beach tourer so that should be sorted - it's useful to know that the hookup provides more 'juice' to the battery. May need to have a hookup installed at home.

I hadn't thought about the tow bar and that's a really useful suggestion - bikes are going to be a big part of what we do as a family and I believe allows you to still open the rear door in videos I've seen.

Thanks for your help - very much appreciated - please let me know if you have any other insights!

Aleks
Section 7, of your post.
You need both.
I believe the "auxiliary heater" referred to with the 3 zone Climatronic heating option is the "Rest" function. You press the Rest button and you get 30mins of the front and rear heater/aircon working using residual heat/cooler function from the engine.

Morning Aleks

I see you're getting some specific answers to your questions, so my points are a bit more general but might help too.

I just ordered a Beach and ended up adding more options than planned, but each and every one was thought through, based on a value-to-us basis. Especially for things which make daily driving useful (e.g. parking), long drives (like the upgraded cruise control), and then day trips / weekends away (like electric hook-up, standing heater).

For the manual vs electric roof, have you tried the manual? For us we went with electric, as we tried to close it in the dealership and was just not possible for my wife, which meant she wouldn't be able to have day trips on her own with the roof popped up (think having a meal by a lake), so we went with electric. You'll find many strong opinions on this forum for the manual vs electric roof.

In the end its what you feel is the right price with the options. The first car we ordered new we ticked every box, then for a couple of years I just felt we went over the top. But its very personal! So you have to ask what YOU are good with, what's necessary, what you can live without.

I'd go with some advice posted above about the cost of adding in the future. So towbar and electric hook-up, reverse camera, that kind of thing. Less than 1% of the vehicle's value now vs 5% cost if you decide to add after. But again, if you've already hit your budget, then go with what you need now, want now and probably need in the future.

The "add it for the next buyer" is really a tricky one, I do understand it, but it can easily add 5 or 10% more to your price, so that in some years you have more chance to sell. Its annoying! But you do need to at least consider and choose not to now, rather than hear about it after.

I'm actually trading my over-the-top car in for the California, as the trade price they give was fair, but I did wonder if some of the "add for the next guy" options could have been saved.

Keeping it simple vs things that might break in the future. Again very personal. I'm not letting this decide what I have or not. Again I do see the logic, something to consider, but I wouldn't let it hugely determine what you have or don't have now.

The "Parking Assistance" helps you find a parking spot where you will fit, and does the steering for getting in. In my last car we added it (the dealer said I would never use it), and he was right! Fancy, but too slow, and you get used to the size of car pretty quick. Saying that, we had a 360 camera which made it all much easier. Still, for the California, because other options are added, it was cheap to add (about 200 pounds) so we went for it. This is because we won't have the 360 camera, and because I saw a video on youtube which showed it also helps you go in to awkward spots front-on. Especially for 0.1% of the overall price (yes I'm a bit numbers person).

Bit long post sorry! Will stop now, but ping me any specific questions as my head is still full of the reasoning behind our choices and I tend to do a lot of analysis when making any purchase (but still sometimes get it wrong :) )

I agree with what others have said so far regarding the best options but imo you are looking at the wrong model.

If you are thinking of expanding your family to five then the better and far more practical option would be the Beach "Tour". The only way you can seat five safely in a Beach "Camper" would be if you option a separate swivel seat. That's fine except they are very heavy and get in the way when camping etc. Lifting that seat in and out is a back breaker and it will seriously cut down the versatility of the vehicle. So if instead you were to go for the "Tour" model then the three seat rear bench would do the job of seating three perfectly. With the "Tour" you wouldn't be compromising rear leg room or flexibility.

Trust me, the higher multiflex board in the Tour's boot is much more useful and unlike the "Camper" version, is actually flexible. It's higher so the storage space beneath allows for things like a compressor fridge or a kitchen pod etc. It also folds, both to allow access beneath and to reduce the Multiflex length in order to increase rear passenger space when necessary. Unless VW have changed it, the so called Multiflex board in the "Camper" version is neither multi anything or flexible.

Don't worry about losing the "Camper"models pull out stove. With three passengers in the back actually using it safely would be a challenge imo. Better to take the cooking outside or go down the pub. The second slider may prove rather more useful instead, especially if you are into school runs.

The down sides to the "Tour" are:
1. Higher road tax as it's now classed as an MPV.
2. Higher insurance because it's now classed as an MPV.
3. No EHU. My suggestion would be to get one fitted under the bonnet next to the vehicle battery.

Apart from the above it's all gains over the Camper version.

As a grandparents of eight, we are on our second seven seater T6 Beach. We only usually run with five of us in the van at any one time but keep the two swivel seats in storage for those odd occasions where we need to seat seven. If you can get away without needing a swivel then do. As I've said, they are very heavy and compromise flexibility. However, with the Tour there is the option to add one extra swivel seat making it a six seater.

As for options, experience has taught us that the following are nigh on essential:

1. 3 zone climate - A Beach has a lot of glass. Rear passengers need it to keep cool in summer.
2. Diesel parking heater - Essential if you intend to use the van all year round.
3. Awning rail - Retro fitting is über expensive at around £1000.
4. Tow Bar- With a larger family you may need extra space or somewhere to carry bikes.
5. Parking sensors and rear camera - V useful..
6. LEDs - I don't know what the T6-1 Beach options include but we've had both ends of the spectrum on our two Beaches to date. If you have the budget LEDs are the "dogs".

I also agree, stick to a manual roof they are simpler, virtually problem free and far easier on the pocket long term. They can be a bit stiff to operate at first but bear in mind that the fastening mechanism is adjustable to suit. If in doubt read the many posts on the problems owners are having with the Electro/hydraulic version.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hang on @Borris the beach camper can have the three seat bench, unless something odd has happened with the UK configs. I have a 7 seat beach camper, albeit LHD but sure there are others here with UK beach with the 3 seat recently ordered?

Hang on @Borris the beach camper can have the three seat bench, unless something odd has happened with the UK configs. I have a 7 seat beach camper, albeit LHD but sure there are others here with UK beach with the 3 seat recently ordered?
All this advice is extremely useful - Borris, my thoughts were that the Beach Camper does offer three seats - with that in mind would you alter your opinion as this seems to fit my use more than an extra seat I need to insert?

I also agree, stick to a manual roof they are simpler, virtually problem free and far easier on the pocket long term. If in doubt read the many posts on the problems owners are having with the Electro/hydraulic version.

Good luck.

Theres actually a few people with problems making many posts, rather than loads of people with problems.
Despite being one of those with a currently problematic roof I would still order the electric version if I was re-ordering.

I stand corrected. Its been a while since I've looked at the confuserator. I'll get my coat.

If you are wanting to go camping I would suggest the camper with 3 seater bench , rather than the tour because:
Its cheaper
Road tax is cheaper for first 6 years
The roll out awning is included
You get the mini kitchen
Theres a mains hook up - for charging leisure batteries and for 240v when on site

The only reason for choosing the tour would be if you wanted to carry more than 5 people.

If you are wanting to go camping I would suggest the camper with 3 seater bench , rather than the tour because:
Its cheaper
Road tax is cheaper for first 6 years
The roll out awning is included
You get the mini kitchen
Theres a mains hook up - for charging leisure batteries and for 240v when on site

The only reason for choosing the tour would be if you wanted to carry more than 5 people.
Did anyone ever get to the bottom of why VW no longer sell the additional 6th and 7th seats in the UK?

Theres actually a few people with problems making many posts, rather than loads of people with problems.
Despite being one of those with a currently problematic roof I would still order the electric version if I was re-ordering.
I didn't say there were "loads of people with problems".

However regardless of the numbers affected, posts featuring the electro/hydraulic roof and the various problems owners have experience with it have featured fairly regularly on this forum since I became a member in 2015. In contrast, whilst I'm sure that there have been one or two, I personally cannot remember a single post regarding issues with the manual version.

As you yourself know, any problem with this over complex feature can cause much frustration to those affected. Personally, whichever version someone chooses is a matter of personal choice. However the OP mentioned that, "The electric roof on the ocean today gave me the heebie jeebies". If it works as it should then fine but historic evidence suggests that problems are not infrequently reported. So my advice for what it's worth, would be, if you can, stick to manual. The manual version goes up in an instant, it never sags, it doesn't cut out the lights, has no need to re-adjust, doesn't leak hydraulic fluid, doesn't require a motor, pump, pipes, sensors or a complicated problematical control panel to operate it and finally doesn't make that beastly noise either. If someone is physically unable to use the manual version then the E/H version is obviously the better choice otherwise I can't see the case for the E/H roof.

All this advice is extremely useful - Borris, my thoughts were that the Beach Camper does offer three seats - with that in mind would you alter your opinion as this seems to fit my use more than an extra seat I need to insert?
Absolutely. If you can order a Beach "Camper" with a three seat bench then that's probably your best option. It also has an EHU and doesn't attract higher tax and insurance. :thumb

Sorry if I confused you, it's been a while since I looked and the T6-1 Beach spec. I was certain that the Beach "Camper" wasn't available with the three seat bench. Perhaps that was the case when it was first announced.

Anyway good luck.

I didn't say that you said that.

Just trying to keep things in perspective. For everyone having problems with the roof there are thousands not having problems.

When it comes to leaking Hydraulics & pump failures that is extremely rare.

As for the control panel, you still get that with a manual roof these days, so no escaping it.

However regardless of the numbers affected, posts featuring the electro/hydraulic roof and the various problems owners have experience with it have featured fairly regularly on this forum since I became a member in 2015. In contrast, whilst I'm sure that there have been one or two, I personally cannot remember a single post regarding issues with the manual version.

As you yourself know, any problem with this over complex feature can cause much frustration to those affected. Personally, whichever version someone chooses is a matter of personal choice. However the OP mentioned that, "The electric roof on the ocean today gave me the heebie jeebies". If it works as it should then fine but historic evidence suggests that problems are not infrequently reported. So my advice for what it's worth, would be, if you can, stick to manual. The manual version goes up in an instant, it never sags, it doesn't cut out the lights, has no need to re-adjust, doesn't leak hydraulic fluid, doesn't require a motor, pump, pipes, sensors or a complicated problematical control panel to operate it and finally doesn't make that beastly noise either. If someone is physically unable to use the manual version then the E/H version is obviously the better choice otherwise I can't see the case for the E/H roof.
It would be awesome if we had the full figures here to be objective. Estimated build numbers per year are 15,000, therefore 150 people per year (say 5 or 10 people on each countries' forums) gives a 1% fail rate. Pretty low I would say. That would answer the probability.

Then on to the impact, what actually goes wrong, and how much does it cost to fix? Some of the parts would presumably be similar cost to fix as anything else which goes wrong on a vehicle.

Then with the probability and the impact we can all calculate the risk. Until then, its down to advice and each individual's risk/reward appetite.

I'm one of the new buyers choosing electric, and I would have loved to save 2,000 swiss francs, but for sure I could not close that manual roof at the dealership on my own.

I'm 43, and after many years of martial arts and gym going, I'd say I'm above average level of fitness. But still I don't understand this and really curious if it was an anomoly (e.g. because the roof is left open all the time at the dealership).

It would be awesome if we had the full figures here to be objective. Estimated build numbers per year are 15,000, therefore 150 people per year (say 5 or 10 people on each countries' forums) gives a 1% fail rate. Pretty low I would say. That would answer the probability.

Then on to the impact, what actually goes wrong, and how much does it cost to fix? Some of the parts would presumably be similar cost to fix as anything else which goes wrong on a vehicle.

Then with the probability and the impact we can all calculate the risk. Until then, its down to advice and each individual's risk/reward appetite.

I'm one of the new buyers choosing electric, and I would have loved to save 2,000 swiss francs, but for sure I could not close that manual roof at the dealership on my own.

I'm 43, and after many years of martial arts and gym going, I'd say I'm above average level of fitness. But still I don't understand this and really curious if it was an anomoly (e.g. because the roof is left open all the time at the dealership).
That sounds strange tbh - Im a 5'4, 8 stone woman, & I close it by myself! Yes its stiff but Im hoping in time it gets easier!

Thanks Jenny, I'm going to find another demo model and check it.

But you know there are some 5'4, 8 stone women in the Olympic boxing who I wouldn't want to mess with !

Fitting the 5th seat in the Ocean restricts the cabin space quite alot; Suggest you take the whole family to the dealership and get them to fit the 5th seat in order to see what a difference it makes to the internal space.

A Beach (5 seat, 3 seat bench) with decent Dometic fridge, small kitchen pod or Dock unit might work better as offers more flexibility especially when combined with a pull out boot tray.

Manual roof will give less potential issues in the long term versus electric ones. My wife is 'vertically challenged' and manages without any issues (roof included).

As for must have options - 3 zone climate, camping heater, parking sensors , folding wing mirrors (great for tight carparks, and oncoming 'great whites' damage avoidance), tinted windows.

Solar panels also worth considering as will avoid the need for an electric hookup and gives a wider choice of camping sites; Electric hookup can be retrofitted for approx £300.

Aftermarket audio/nav units offer more functionality that VW Factory ones.

Rear camera - not essential as the rear is very flat on a Cali, so parking sensors are sufficient especially when combined with the large wing mirrors.

LED headlights are great for blinding cyclists / other road users. People have managed without them for many years but they seem to be the fashion now.

That sounds strange tbh - Im a 5'4, 8 stone woman, & I close it by myself! Yes its stiff but Im hoping in time it gets easier!
I agree. If the manual roof on a Beach or a Coast is that stiff that it cannot be opened and closed with relative ease, then get your dealer to adjust the catches.

I agree. If the manual roof on a Beach or a Coast is that stiff that it cannot be opened and closed with relative ease, then get your dealer to adjust the catches.
Opening was easy, closing was a two-man job (one hanging off the pull-down handle using body weight, and one clipping in the side clips, needing both hands)

Opening was easy, closing was a two-man job (one hanging off the pull-down handle using body weight, and one clipping in the side clips, needing both hands)
Be aware, the Beach doesn't come with the option of the Hydraulic Roof in the UK, unless it has changed very recently. Also I doubt if you will get many Beach owners admitting they wish it had been an option which they would have chosen. ;)

Hi everyone - new poster here who is considering ordering a 6.1 Beach Camper as we took an Ocean for a test drive today and felt that the Ocean just doesn't fit our family needs. We are a family of 4 (thinking of 5 in the near the future) in the living on the South Coast with lots of activities to undertake - for this reason a Beach fits our family requirements as an everyday vehicle capable of transporting 4-5 people and a day vehicle when we're out paddle boarding, for example.

The Ocean today had a kitchen that seems to take up a lot of room (we're tall and appreciate the extra space we would obtain from not having the kitchen and cupboards and frankly there was a lot of noise emanating from them and on close inspection you really can't store a lot within them - not having the kitchen would provide us with more flexibility. If we were to camp the new small kitchen or an outdoor unit would suffice for us.

I've looked elsewhere in the forum and obviously everyone has their own opinions but wondered what everyone thinks about the above - There is a great article called ditchin' the kitchen which outlines how the beach can work well for some people:

I was starting to think about the options and what people felt was necessary, bearing in mind that everyone's opinions/needs will differ:

1 - Electric roof/door - I'd rather go manual - there's less to go wrong and hence fix. The electric roof on the ocean today gave me the heebie jeebies.

2 - LED headlights - Youtube channel A bus and Beyond as well as others here have mixed opinions but they seem provide much better illumination

3 - Navigation system/Discover media/Streaming internet - this seems to be redundant as we would use our phones plugged in to CarPlay.

4 - Parking sensors front and rear and camera - deemed a must after test driving the ocean yesterday.

5 - The driver assistance package - £3k seems a lot for heated wing mirrors, folding wing mirrors and rain sensing wipers amongst other things but I can see you can have the wing mirror option independently.

6 - Tinted windows seem like a good option

7 - This is confusing for me - we may not camp that often however the option to heat the van is imperative - there are two options, the auxiliary heater with programmable control for £2352 and the other option which is the Climatronic 3 zone air conditioning with 2nd evaporator, auxiliary heater, air conditioned headliner and additional passenger control for £1002 - I am right in thinking that the second cheaper option provides me with more control to the rear of the cabin for passengers as well as the night time heater I require just without the remote control and is cheaper?

8 - Parking assist - anyone with any ideas on whether this is at all useful?

Thank you for any of your ideas/inputs

7 -
I actually ordered an Ocean 4 Motion last September but it was written off at the dealership last month. The irony is that during the 9 month wait for the vehicle, it slowly dawned on me that the van that would really best suit our style of camping/day trips (family of 4 with a dog)...was actually the Beach Camper. The Beach had been discontinued when I ordered the Ocean, so it wasn't a consideration. Having rejected the Ocean, I placed a new order (at a different dealership of course) at the beginning of July for a Beach Camper. You will always get the Ocean/Coast lovers versus the Beach lovers but neither is better, it's just what suits your 'style'. I read this next piece (quite a few years old) on a different forum at the beginning of the year, which really struck me. It was about the same discussion. Deep down, my real issue was that I really wanted a full size bed downstairs!!!!

p.s don't know if you've already seen this but interesting about the 2 seater versus 3 seater argument

Screenshot 2021-07-10 at 17.14.08.png

Last edited:
Be aware, the Beach doesn't come with the option of the Hydraulic Roof in the UK, unless it has changed very recently. Also I doubt if you will get many Beach owners admitting they wish it had been an option which they would have chosen. ;)
True, I'm in Switzerland and we have the option. Although weirdly the option of all-season tyres is not available unless you get the 16" !

Your second point is what interests me greatly, is it seen as too flashy? Not "pure" camping? I can imagine this becomes a bit of a sensitive subject (and I will duck for cover right after clicking "post reply"

It makes me compare to the Porsche community where anything automatic or electric is seen as blasphamy, and infact many buyers try to spec "less is more" cars, even if it comes at great expense. e.g. manual sports seats costing an extra 5 grand ! People choosing manual instead of automatic, no air-con, no stereo, etc etc... then there are other buyers who say "hey, i'm 55, I use it as a daily driver, I'm not actually racing this thing around a track, so give me those creature comforts please!" in the end of the second hand market has 2 types of cars with 2 types of buyers, neither is right or wrong, both cannot understand the other one's reasoning ;)

Back