Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 cali apple play noise

B

BikesandOcean

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hello I just wanna put a message on here to see if anybody else has experienced the same photo we have since the beginning of them in the van when we plug the Apple Play Into the media system after about 50 minutes to an hour we start to get white noise coming on audio this is the cakes by switching to another import and then back to Apple Pay it’s very annoying,It has been into the garage twice now to have a fix The first time they replaced the whole dashboard the second time they have me up to replicate the fault and said there is no fault codes so can’t continue to work very frustrating anybody else’s experience will be grateful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few questions:

1) Assume you are using Apple cables and not an after market one?
2) Does the music app show anytthing playing at this point?
3) If you start to play a track, does it still make the noise
4) If you switch to the DAB radio, does it still make the noise
5) Can you make the white noise go louder / quieter with the volume control?

More than a few questions I know, but trying to narrow down the reason for the noise.

have used apple and vw branded cables, when you switch to i different Audio import the noise disappears immediately. The noise on the Apple Pay goes up and down in sympathy with the volume controls.

The system works as advertise or normal the only thing you get this after 50 minutes to an hour white noise super imposing on top of the audio signal coming from the Apple play

I think it’s a well known problem. Mine doesn’t do it, but the brand new hire panel van I had a few weeks ago was awful. That was using my own cable that was fine driving there in my van.

Can imagine that is very annoying.

I know of white noise issues with iPhone and AirPods or other speakers, but never heard it with CarPlay.

There was an iPhone update around june this year that seemed to introduce the issue for some, but not all, users.

Given that it responds to volume control, it’s almost certainly phone related (or hte way the phone ‘talks’ to the stereo).

It’s difficult to suggest a fix I’m afraid. There is a new iOS update coming out in September, so waiting for that is about as good as I can say at the moment.

Yes - I have exactly the same thing (on our 2021 6.1 Coast) and it is very annoying! It has only just started to happen (have been using the cable since February) and so I assumed it was because the cable had deteriorated. But it happens with a brand new cable too. Have resorted to using Bluetooth, but then you lose Google maps etc.

yep the only way to stop it is to select another input and then back to apple car play it goes instantly, are you on the software updated stereo?

Am experiencing this too. Very annoying. Things I've tried:
- new apple cable
- reset to factory defaults
- different port

All to no avail. Suspect it's an iOS issue that could be fixed with software update (hopefully)

Only solid workaround is as mentioned by others, 1) notice the noise (ugh!) 2) switch to radio input 3) switch back to CarPlay.

Same here, it works well in Bluetooth mode but with Apple play it's a disaster
Very annoying

iOS15 is available in public beta if anyone wants to give it a go. This is the 6th release of the public beta, close to what will be the final release, and generally pretty stable. There may still be the odd quirk in it though.

If you are prepared to take the risk, then you could try and download the beta to see if that fixes the problem.

I am not sure if this helps, but I am not using a cable to connect my iPhone - using Apple Car Play via bluetooth works seamlessly. So my suggestion would be try it without the cable and see if you get the same behaviour. If it does the same thing you would know its a phone issue? If not, I would think its more likely a VW system/software error, but unless I am missing something, why use a cable if you don't need one? Which leads to another question - is yours the standard or Pro media system?

Same here, I did only recently figure out that I just need to hit the 'Radio' button (which scares my kids sh*tless because of low audio volume on iPhone which goes to ULTRALOUD radio volume for 5 seconds) and then quickly hit 'App' again.

We were driving past Paris this summer, spent hours looking for an alternative route to bypass the already congested A10 driving south. I thought I had it under control, but you guessed it: the white noise came out of the stereo, so I pulled out the cable, put it back in and 25 minutes later I was back on the A10 ... Google Maps redirected ... Absolute horror.

But now I know I just need to hit 'Radio', no more pulling cables while driving.

Hello I just wanna put a message on here to see if anybody else has experienced the same photo we have since the beginning of them in the van when we plug the Apple Play Into the media system after about 50 minutes to an hour we start to get white noise coming on audio this is the cakes by switching to another import and then back to Apple Pay it’s very annoying,It has been into the garage twice now to have a fix The first time they replaced the whole dashboard the second time they have me up to replicate the fault and said there is no fault codes so can’t continue to work very frustrating anybody else’s experience will be grateful

I’ve been meaning to post something on this for a while so glad you did! :)

I have exactly the same issue. Often the white noise kicks in much earlier, sometimes after only a few minutes. Unplugging and plugging back in seams to ‘reset the clock’ until it happens again.
I have tried official apple, VW and other cables - all make no difference.
I am confident it is not an iOS problem and suspect it is some form of buffer issue with the van’s head unit (non pro unit).
Lots of reports of this issue on other t6 van forums.
I need to report it under warranty and hopefully get the issue recorded along with others.

I am not sure if this helps, but I am not using a cable to connect my iPhone - using Apple Car Play via bluetooth works seamlessly. So my suggestion would be try it without the cable and see if you get the same behaviour. If it does the same thing you would know its a phone issue? If not, I would think its more likely a VW system/software error, but unless I am missing something, why use a cable if you don't need one? Which leads to another question - is yours the standard or Pro media system?
Good shout.

Mine is the basic head unit though (Composite Colour?) so only wired-CarPlay unfortunately.

I’ve been meaning to post something on this for a while so glad you did! :)

I have exactly the same issue. Often the white noise kicks in much earlier, sometimes after only a few minutes. Unplugging and plugging back in seams to ‘reset the clock’ until it happens again.
I have tried official apple, VW and other cables - all make no difference.
I am confident it is not an iOS problem and suspect it is some form of buffer issue with the van’s head unit (non pro unit).
Lots of reports of this issue on other t6 van forums.
I need to report it under warranty and hopefully get the issue recorded along with others.

The only change since the introduction of the problem has been to iOS software.

This is why I suspect it to be iOS as it's only started happening in the past couple of months.

The only change since the introduction of the problem has been to iOS software.

This is why I suspect it to be iOS as it's only started happening in the past couple of months.
Ah ok. I’ve had the issue since I picked up the van new in May, a t6.1 beach.
I regularly use my phone on three over cars via wired CarPlay and never experienced the issue on them so for me it’s unique to the VW head unit - I hope it is an iOS issue!

Well i have a vw car that runs the same system and no issues their just in the van t6.1 beach again so it’s not the phone but the van ?

Following with interest … I have exactly the same issue on my 21 Beach. Haven’t been back to VW yet as van is in use most days at the moment.

Same here on Apple play in the 21 Coast (via Apple supplied wire) not using exactly the same in the car. Less constant ‘white noise’ more intermittent crackling distortion during songs.

Good shout.

Mine is the basic head unit though (Composite Colour?) so only wired-CarPlay unfortunately.
Ok I see, mine is the Pro system. I assumed wrongly that Bluetooth connection would give you CarPlay functionality.

I think so yes. After an hour of listening to audio from phone I start getting crackling noise. If I pause for a few mins and replay it’s ok again for 10 mins or so and then have to keep pausing.

A few questions:

1) Assume you are using Apple cables and not an after market one?
2) Does the music app show anytthing playing at this point?
3) If you start to play a track, does it still make the noise
4) If you switch to the DAB radio, does it still make the noise
5) Can you make the white noise go louder / quieter with the volume control?

More than a few questions I know, but trying to narrow down the reason for the noise.
I have this too

I think it’s a well known problem. Mine doesn’t do it, but the brand new hire panel van I had a few weeks ago was awful. That was using my own cable that was fine driving there in my van.
Sorry Andy, do you need cable in a 6.1

Done a bit of digging into this on various Apple forums and have found something...this seems to be reasonably common, esp with Nissan, Seat and VW cars

On your phone, go to Settings > Music > Audio Quality

Where it says 'Mobile Data Streaming' change the setting to 'High Efficiency'

To be clear, this suggested solution fixed the crackling issue, not specifically the white noise issue. Both were discussed in the forum and this worked for some, but not all, of those impacted. It's worth a shot I suppose, but keep you expectations low!

Opinion is split on if it's a car or Apple problem, but many people have kept the same car and phone for years without issue, and this only started happening only after an iOS upgrade. Apple changed some of their API's* for CarPlay recently, so I'm in the 'it's Apple' camp.

One guy got the Nissan dealership to change both the head unit and the USB port in his car, didn't fix the issue.

[*for those wondering what on earth an API is, a simplified explanation is it's how systems can 'talk' to one another.]

Back