Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 new ratchet bed board

J

Jandy61

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
So how are people getting on with the new adjustable bed board? Do you use it much, easy to use? I’m wondering what type of mattress to order so you can sit up still in bed, I’m assuming the VW comfort mattress works ok as it’s divided into 3 sections, not sure what to buy as didn’t tick that option.
Ta

So how are people getting on with the new adjustable bed board? Do you use it much, easy to use? I’m wondering what type of mattress to order so you can sit up still in bed, I’m assuming the VW comfort mattress works ok as it’s divided into 3 sections, not sure what to buy as didn’t tick that option.
Ta
Not used the lounge function yet because we haven’t used the van for an overnight :-(
Tested it though and I think it’s a good feature. Mattress works fine with it. It also gives a bit of flexibility for storage behind the bench seat.

Ok thanks
So you have the VW mattress? I Haven’t been able to see one to feel how firm/ soft they are, iv read they sometimes come up for sale second hand, I could probably still add one to my order, as believe it or not... we don’t have a build date yet.
I know some use a topper on top of the mattress but I’d rather have just the one layer, we need the storage room in the rear

Ok thanks
So you have the VW mattress? I Haven’t been able to see one to feel how firm/ soft they are, iv read they sometimes come up for sale second hand, I could probably still add one to my order, as believe it or not... we don’t have a build date yet.
I know some use a topper on top of the mattress but I’d rather have just the one layer, we need the storage room in the rear

Mine might be available unused. We already have the Brandrup version which has been excellent.

Re raising the bed end, Im hoping its going to make boot access a lot easier without the need for the slide out draw.

Mine might be available unused. We already have the Brandrup version which has been excellent.

Re raising the bed end, Im hoping its going to make boot access a lot easier without the need for the slide out draw.
I thought this as well or should say hoped this since the sliding drawers are pricey but after thinking about it not sure how practical it will be when you have all your bedding etc on top of it.

Yes it does, however i’ve got a fair bit stashed on top of it so still needed the drawer. (Mind you as I learn the ropes i’ll need to rationalise what I carry depending on each trip).

Ive managed 7 years without either the ratchet or a draw, so I'm thinking anything is going to be an improvement.
If its being used day to day we don't have anything on the shelf - its all put back on the bed indoors.

Interestingly, the manual seems to suggest there is a possibility of a folding rear shelf still with a ratchet for use with a fifth seat - I've just run out to check under the mattress & I haven't got one of them.

It's a nice feature but a complete PITA to remove and replace if you want it out of the van completely. It's pretty heavy.

Ta
I’m a big fan. It works great as a quick bed . As you can angle it up just one notch to elevate your head instead of getting out the bedding.

Takes some getting used to to use that’s for sure, it’s a two handed operation.

I didn’t go with the Comfort Matress due to cost, went with a KFoam.es one (half memory half firm foam) from Amazon, which has worked out excellently.

Interestingly, the manual seems to suggest there is a possibility of a folding rear shelf still with a ratchet for use with a fifth seat - I've just run out to check under the mattress & I haven't got one of them.
I’m not sure I understand what you mean - can you share a picture?

Ta
Assume you are referring to the new two part fold MUltiflex board and lower sleeping area (not roof). We took our Beach away this past weekend (for the first time) with the VW Original mattress. My recommendation would be the VW one, as it fits perfectly to the conforms of the rear bench seat. My wife says it's a bit to firm and will acquire a mattress topper which double up as a mattress protector.

It's a nice feature but a complete PITA to remove and replace if you want it out of the van completely. It's pretty heavy.
What the new ratcheting shelf or a folding one?

this is the extract from the manual - definatly looks like an ocean/coast inside but with a folding shelf. Could transform the van for 5th seat users, having said that there does look to be a lot more leg room than before already.IMG_2190.jpgIMG_2191.jpg

Last edited:
this is the extract from the manual - defiantly looks like an ocean/coast inside but with a folding shelf. Could transform the van for 5th seat users, having said that there does look to be a lot more leg room than before already.View attachment 72285View attachment 72286
Hi @andyinluton , just a thought - are you sure that the ‘foldable’ shelf isn’t just the new shelf that comes with the T6.1? And the manual is then referring to folding the shelf up into lounge mode and pushing that (and rear bench) back to achieve more space for the fifth seat?

I know in the T5/5.1/6 that pivoting the shelf upwards wouldn’t change anything as it doesn’t allow the shelf to slide backwards, but perhaps the shelf can be slid backwards in the T6.1?

No, that extract shows a different board to the normal T6.1 one. I did wonder if that board should be standard with if you order the 5th seat. Unfortunately no, you can’t put the normal board vertically & move it back.
I had to remove the rear board to slide the bench back far enough to get the 5th seat out.

Last edited:
Get the one with cut out for corner of Buzz

Is it a T6.1 specific one you've ordered? - this is a T6 mattress on a T6.1 bed you can seethe beds a bit shorterIMG_2192.jpg

Sea to summit self inflating mattress for the lower bed.
Removed the 3 fold mattress
Is there enough flexibility in the S2S mattress to raise the ratcheting lounge function, so you can sit up in bed to drink my coffee not that I’m a lazy person...

For those who need a lounge function in the T6, get one of these. Works really well. You can sit up and drink coffee, and face any direction you want than just the front. Multi use. :thumb

1611493683443.png

Maybe I’m being a bit thick but the board seems a right faff and I can’t figure out the ‘lounge’ function lol. Anybody with a link to a handy video?

T6.1 Beach, by the way

Sea to summit self inflating mattress for the lower bed.
Removed the 3 fold mattress
This mattress appears to be quite a lot cheaper on Backpacking united at the moment.

Maybe I’m being a bit thick but the board seems a right faff and I can’t figure out the ‘lounge’ function lol. Anybody with a link to a handy video?

T6.1 Beach, by the way
If it is a beach, ( your profile says coast) you don't get it, you get the multiplex board.

In the ocean its simple to use its just a strap you can pull that lifts the boot end of the bed extension up, there's about 20 different stops between horizontal and vertical to allow you to sit up in bed. Also useful for lifting it when loading the boot.

Back