Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 Ocean rear cup holder

Claremacrob

Claremacrob

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hi all,

Frustrating to be stuck at home, but we're loving our new Ocean anyway.

The only snag is that there doesn't seem to be any provision for drinks for rear passengers. The dealer told me that the 6.1 doesn't come with a cup holder any more, so I'm wondering whether anyone has come up with anything better than using the fridge?

I have scoured old posts but they all seem to relate to the cup holder that used to come with the van.

Thanks in advance...

Oh great, thanks @Stu@rt . I don't suppose you know whether there is any reason this wouldn't work in a 6.1 do you? The dealer told me VW had stopped supplying these because they had redesigned the runner for the interior table.

Or this.....https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3330983
If you know of anyone handy with a 3D printer?
That looks a better design...

Oh great, thanks @Stu@rt . I don't suppose you know whether there is any reason this wouldn't work in a 6.1 do you? The dealer told me VW had stopped supplying these because they had redesigned the runner for the interior table.
Ah see, now you've rumbled me!! I'm in the very long queue of people waiting for their vans. So despite me addicted to the forum, I don't have any real world experience. I'm just here for the research (And very valuable it is too). So I'll have to give way to someone who is more qualified !:Iamsorry

No need to apologise! I spent a LOT of time on this forum when I was waiting too... I hope your wait isn't too long.

Well my T6.1 came with a cup holder for the rear, I can conform it doesn't fit. The T5 / T6 kitchen top ( certainly the ones with only one piece of glass over the sink & cooker had the rail at the front with a lip on the top edge of the groove, the cup holders were inserted at an angle & the lip stopped it falling out. The lip is missing & the groove is smaller on the T6.1

That looks a better design...

That won't work on a T6.1 the groove is the wrong shape.

I’ve got a cup holder in rear of the 6.1 from VW and it works fine

For info’
I recently bought some Kitchen Hooks from the Netherlands in error. They didn’t fit the slot in my t6.1. Sold them to VWCC members with t6’s and they advised that they fitted perfectly. So, the slot on the 6.1 kitchen unit is DEFINITELY different.

I’ve got a cup holder in rear of the 6.1 from VW and it works fine
Has it got the two prongs sticking up at the top of the bit that fits into the groove? & can you tell what shape groove you have ? face on mine is just a straight slot with no lip. In fact Im wondering how the sliding table is going to stay in place - I haven't tried it yet.

More importantly have you tried it with a large McDonalds chocolate milkshake in it whilst going round a roundabout & over speed bumps.

I will take a pic later today

I would never have a large McDonalds chocolate milkshake in the holder so not a problem for me

I installed a 'take away' armrest (travel bag) with integrated drinks holder. When traveling I take the armrest out to the shower (swimming pools). It's easier if you put a cup in the holder, which is slightly larger than a classic 33cc can.

Last edited:
I will take a pic later today

I would never have a large McDonalds chocolate milkshake in the holder so not a problem for me
That was more an indicator of risk, if you were confident it would hold something like that whilst in motion its good enough.

Am thinking that a hook like that has, attached to the VW cup holder may work.

Also considering some sort of cool into the sink for making the corner shelf work as well.

9D036822-FB01-4BB3-BA61-E53CEBF36650.jpeg
Am I right in thinking this won’t fit a 6.1?

That is supposed to fit according to the manual, on my T6.1 the groove on the front of the kitchen is just a straight square edged recess, On the T5.1 it had a small lip hanging down on the front top edge, the sticking up bits on the top of the bracket tucked behind the lip.
You had to tilt the cupholder up to put it in / take it out.
On the new van I can just push the holder in straight & expect it just to fall out as there is no lip to retain it.

I installed a 'take away' armrest (travel bag) with integrated drinks holder. When traveling I take the armrest out to the shower (swimming pools). It's easier if you put a cup in the holder, which is slightly larger than a classic 33cc can.

Ooh multi-purpose - Thanks @Auberg-ine - that's a great idea.

Back