Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

60k sledge..

Can I ask what Brand and Model or Winter Tyre you were using?

(On my trip I did have a new set of chains in the boot but did not need them including a steep incline up to Hotel)

Ehh, have to get back on that some other time, van is not on driveway but with husband to work...

You don't even need 300bhp...but that would be boring. A couple of weeks ago I got stuck in the snow near Newhaven on the Buxton to Ashbourne road. 490bhp, 19s and RWD are not a good combination but by keeping well away from other cars I could just nurse it with 1mm of accelerator and very slow inputs. I almost made it to the top of that hill but the car just came to a stop about 5m short of the top. I could inch forward but the gritter was my savior 20 mins later. I was amazed how far I managed to go really, but it was the most stressful 20 mile of my life (and I love driving in snow). Winters on order :)

If you go to Sweden or Finland you'll see lots VW van taxis. They are all bog standard shuttles or velles on winter tyres.

I learnt to drive in winter on that road some fifty years ago when we got "proper" winters. At times the snow up there was higher than the car, like driving through a snow gorge.
Perhaps we are all getting a bit wimpy about snow nowadays. Then we chucked a shovel, some concrete slabs and a few old sacks or carpet in the boot and set off. Great fun charging snowdrifts to get through. Of course cars had big metal bumpers then which would stand the thumping

Can I ask what Brand and Model or Winter Tyre you were using?

(On my trip I did have a new set of chains in the boot but did not need them including a steep incline up to Hotel)
As promissed:
Dunlop winter....something
As you can see we have quite muddy dirt roads at this moment.

62977986-F6BE-4655-A53A-9F9C3550E28E.jpeg

567919B3-E552-44E5-9273-C4153EBF012C.jpeg

wow, what a thread this turned out to be. I'm off to order a full set of winters this week, I'll probably keep them on all year. Understand they probably won't last as long as standard tyres due to the softer compound but hey.. life's too short to worry about that.

I scanned through the whole thread and managed to find Dunlop Winter Sport 5 XL SUV tyres as a possibility. Any other suggestions before I press the button.

Cheers, Rob

wow, what a thread this turned out to be. I'm off to order a full set of winters this week, I'll probably keep them on all year. Understand they probably won't last as long as standard tyres due to the softer compound but hey.. life's too short to worry about that.

I scanned through the whole thread and managed to find Dunlop Winter Sport 5 XL SUV tyres as a possibility. Any other suggestions before I press the button.

Cheers, Rob

If you care about optimal braking performance, you are better of with an all-season tyre, rather than winter (or summer) tyre year round. That may also give you a little better economy. Michelin Cross Climate is a good choise.

This might be of interest. Bit long but you can skip through it.
Us in the Cali 4wd with Vredenestein Quadrac full winters, my mate in the Bongo (4wd mid engine so ideal weight distribution) on Goodyear all seasons. He clearly struggles in places and was bricking it going down. The Cali was rock solid, even when we stopped on the up slope and setting off again. Wouldn't do it again though.:eek:
No chains incidentally as the snow wasn't deep enough.

Looks hairy. :Stig Fairly wet snow too! I think the main problem there is that the Bongo is a slush box automatic so no real engine braking? Looks like he is having to use the brakes the whole time and it is skidding somewhat as a result. Yours is a manual 4 motion so much more stable as it is descending on the engine predominantly.

Cheers, Rob
If not ordered have a look at Michelin Latitude SUV. Classed as summer but would suit UK all year.

I had my Disco 3 last year with Pirelli ATRs which were pretty amazing in the snow. Its now on Duratracs which are supposed to be pretty good as well

SWMBO took the Disco to work and I took her PHEV Outlander (left the JCW parked up). This was pretty poor to the point of dangerous even with super 4WD engaged.

So tyres maketh the car.

I had my Disco 3 last year with Pirelli ATRs which were pretty amazing in the snow. Its now on Duratracs which are supposed to be pretty good as well

SWMBO took the Disco to work and I took her PHEV Outlander (left the JCW parked up). This was pretty poor to the point of dangerous even with super 4WD engaged.

So tyres maketh the car.
Same principal applies to footwear. Summer shoes or wellies/walking/hiking boots?

Same principal applies to footwear. Summer shoes or wellies/walking/hiking boots?
The thing to remember with safe grip in winter (tyres and shoes) STARTS with a rubber compound that stays soft in cold temps. Only then does the design of the tread become relevant.

Interesting reading this thread resurrected, 4 wheel drive is about traction and getting going but when it comes to stopping there is no difference to a 2wd, many don't realise this when they buy them. Also why you see more 4x4 in ditches in the winter, people assume 4wd is also better at stopping, generally its not.

All the vans are four wheel stop... ;) its all in the tyres

Agree with all the above re tyres and each type is a compromise.
Multi season or winter tyres will be a tad noisier and have a lower mph vs better grip/longer life.
So it all depends on the type of driving you do I agree @soulstyledevon two sets if you have the funds are the way to go. :)

Agree with all the above re tyres and each type is a compromise.
Multi season or winter tyres will be a tad noisier and have a lower mph vs better grip/longer life.
So it all depends on the type of driving you do I agree @soulstyledevon two sets if you have the funds are the way to go. :)
No noise issue with Nokians Weatherproof tyres. If anything seem a bit quiter and to absorb surface ripples better than the summer tyres.
Tyre labels give the noise, db level, of new tyres as well as consumption and wet grip information to check before you buy.
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/tyres/what-do-your-tyre-labels-mean/

I hadn't realised that there are new noise levels being introduced. More things to 'worry' about.