Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

680 4Motion RoadTrip to Eastern Turkey

Yes, the rear socket comes from the board battery and is permanent live. I know because I use this to power my water pump!
Lithium should be easy for you under the bonnet if the temperature isn’t going to drop below Zero. If you use a certified electrician I don’t think it will effect your warranty as I think I’ve read on German forums that it’s okay.
I’ve heard there’s great wild camping in Portugal - let’s hear about your travels!

Thank you Bruce!

I’m thinking to do my setup using what I already have from this socket, unfortunately change the board battery under bonnet will void the warranty they told me “VW used this setup for a reason”

The sad part is that the ones with solar like ours is already completely equipped and ready for Lithium, is just a drop in replacement it have the DC to DC converter and have the option to change the solar and DC control to Lithium, I took the measurements and a Relion Lithium 300ah fits under the bonnet there perfectly and have almost the same weight of the 92ah agm! I don’t know what happens with all that heat though

Let’s see what happens in the near future, I will ask a different dealer and will keep doing my research, I’m a digital nomad and I consume a high amount of power to do my work and would like to have a setup to be independent around a week so I can go to paid camping site only once a week

Is true here in Portugal is easy to park and sleep pretty much everywhere if we follow the rules, you are welcome here Take care!

We have owned westfalia’s before and do think there fantastic vans .
It was just the fiat side of it that had its negatives for us, so a Sven on a crafter/man was the perfect van.

I get what your saying regards having an issue while traveling and that’s a good point.
It’s the dealers ignorance that’s making us have a re think.
At the wknd we asked our vw dealer if we could have a look in the grand California he had there and on the second look it really did impress us.
The first look was at the nec and I wasn’t that impressed but it was very busy and you didn’t really get a proper look it all just looked white!
But looking again it isn’t
The fit and finish is absolutely brilliant.
Everywhere you look everything is so neat and well put together,and like you said add your own touches and it would make a lovely van to own.
One thing I don’t get is why they don’t put shelves in the big cupboards but that’s something that can be retrofitted.
Also with it being a factory built van by vw warranty issues shouldn’t be a problem .
The only big question I cannot get a solid answer on is the mpg of the 4motion or even the 2wd basically because there so new and not many people own them.....
We would love a 4motion.
Adeybruces van looks stunning and the idea of off grid get away from Everything camping sounds fantastic
Please don’t get me wrong I love the Westfalia product and innovation. also like you couldn’t get my head around the Fiat side of things, believe they are updating them in 2022 in a big way. Re drive I drove our 600 today for the first time very pleased, very comfortable easy to drive and a good ride for a van of that size.

Good luck on your decision. What is your location.

Will

2,500 mile roadtrip across to Eastern Turkey is complete.
Wild camping, no hook-up, every night. GC performed well. 27 mpg. Daytime temp around 38 degrees, and air con struggled a little to keep the van cool when driving. It was cool enough to sleep at night with all windows open.
Water pump is manually connected to a homemade switch, so it works when I want it to. Rattling on poor quality roads is persistent.
4Motion was tested many times, and was invaluable.
Wish I had opted for the toilet ventilation!!
But overall, a great vehicle.

Do you have a solar panel?

And you weren't stoned by the shepherd boys? How times have changed.

Hi Bruce, great posting, loved all the pictures, thanks. Always find postings like this very interesting.

Sending this from the ferry to Bilbao, start of a four to six week trip in Northern Spain and (mainly) Portugal, which is a country new to us. (Portuguese tips/recommendations from anyone very welcome!)

We have 200w solar - but a fridge that won’t work on 12v. It’s a warranty issue that won’t be fixed now until we return, Covid caused two previous appointments to be cancelled. So we’re going to have to manage things old school with ice packs.

One question, you mentioned keeping all the windows open at night, does your GC have driver and passenger window mosquito nets? We don’t have AC so will be relying on the windows and an Endless Breeze fan.

Hi Bruce, great posting, loved all the pictures, thanks. Always find postings like this very interesting.

Sending this from the ferry to Bilbao, start of a four to six week trip in Northern Spain and (mainly) Portugal, which is a country new to us. (Portuguese tips/recommendations from anyone very welcome!)

We have 200w solar - but a fridge that won’t work on 12v. It’s a warranty issue that won’t be fixed now until we return, Covid caused two previous appointments to be cancelled. So we’re going to have to manage things old school with ice packs.

One question, you mentioned keeping all the windows open at night, does your GC have driver and passenger window mosquito nets? We don’t have AC so will be relying on the windows and an Endless Breeze fan.
Have a great trip to Portugal, sounds fantastic.
When I said all the windows - we have a 680, so 2 roof vents and the 7 windows open (we have the optional 2, but only one opens). I don't think having side windows open will add much more - we were really comfortable and even had to dig out the duvet again. The nuclear option if you're still too warm is to open the back doors. I'm sure an improvised mozzie net over the open end of the van would help if there are bugs about. Please note though, the screens on the side windows are just fly screens - I'm pretty sure mozzies will be able to infiltrate!

Hi there!

I’m from Portugal, any tip you need just let me know, cheers!

Hi there!

I’m from Portugal, any tip you need just let me know, cheers!
Thanks Laercio, we are going to head down to Nazare next but struggling to find smaller campsites -seems to be a lot of larger, holiday camp types in that area. After that we'll go towards the Tavira area. Beautiful country! (sorry for the thread hijack @Adeybruce )

You are welcome! Coincidentally I just find myself in Cabanas de Tavira right now :) will stay until next Monday

I believe here in Tavira there is just one campsite (Camping Ria Formosa) depending on how long you are staying you can pretty much spend most days out of campsites you can sleep about 2 nights in a row virtually anywhere if you respect some rules,

I will send you a little location that I like very much where you can spend two nights without a problem just in front of the beach and it is on your way from Nazareth to Tavira, will try to send you privately so you can check to see if you like and if you don’t want to spend the night you can spend the day

Thanks Laercio, we are going to head down to Nazare next but struggling to find smaller campsites -seems to be a lot of larger, holiday camp types in that area. After that we'll go towards the Tavira area. Beautiful country! (sorry for the thread hijack @Adeybruce )

That’s the location I mentioned, it is in Quarteira about 1 hour away from Tavira if you are coming from Nazaré :)

(37.0570890, -8.0798770)

Wild camping, no hook-up, every night. GC performed well. 27 mpg. Daytime temp around 38 degrees, and air con struggled a little to keep the van cool when driving. It was cool enough to sleep at night with all windows open.
Water pump is manually connected to a homemade switch, so it works when I want it to. Rattling on poor quality roads is persistent.
Hi we have just bought a very similar GC same colour picking it up tomorrow from liverpool nice photos.

That’s quite a handy video! Hope you have many happy adventures in your new van
Thank you, sorry I'm new to the forum so might make a few mistakes while posting things,
your trip is a great inspiration, keep us updated we love to see how you get on.

Thank you, sorry I'm new to the forum so might make a few mistakes while posting things,
your trip is a great inspiration, keep us updated we love to see how you get on.
Not a problem, we’re all newbies in life! once you’ve settled down with it, let me know if you’ve got any questions (apart from roof air con and sat dish, as I’ve not got them).

Not a problem, we’re all newbies in life! once you’ve settled down with it, let me know if you’ve got any questions (apart from roof air con and sat dish, as I’ve not got them).
hi bruce just a quick question on our display panel mounted on the toilet wall the three buttons on the right ,home button ,on/off button and the one in the middle don't do anything, to use the screen we need to tap it, surely this is not how it should be or are we doing something wrong? regards Paul.

Back