Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

680 solar not working?

M

markicp

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi all just checked my on board battery it is at 60% voltage 12.3 solar doesn’t seem to be working, nothing turned on for 2 days good sunlight fully charged with charger 2 days previously, checked solar controller 37v coming in and at battery terminals showing 14v, not sure how vw have set it up I have added my portable solar panel direct to battery, board now showing 13.5v battery 80% after about 20 minutes of sun, my mppt controller showing 80w 4.5amp battery 14.3 5.2amp, does any one have any idea how it’s wired to work surely a 178w factory panel should keep the battery topped up with good sunlight.
Cheers Mark

Hi Mark
Maybe some use, maybe no use. Just been out and mines at 100%. Mine came with a German manual, so I’ve attached the English version. Batt full and MPP lights on. Also charging programme on page 8, mine is set to Lead Acid/AGM1. Last driven Friday.

Attachments

• Solar manual.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
Thanks Ian

I don't think VW have wired the controller battery output direct to leisure battery, I did notice on the controller that it showed AES Green, batt full green and mpp green but battery at 50% so something not correct, it is due a service soon I will get them to check it out.

Also under the passenger seat the fuse box can you remove the lid ok, I have a box mounter just in front that prevents me getting the lid off to check fuses.

Hi Mark.

Always wondered if the solar panel was charging, never sure anyway have orders one of these, hopefully this might give me some reassurance, or not! Bluetooth Plug and Play.

Thats also helpful Ian thanks.

Will

Last edited:
Will do you need this too?

If yes, it’s £200 just to check the panel is working :talktothehand

Will do you need this too?

If yes, it’s £200 just to check the panel is working :talktothehand
Hi Ian,

according to Roy at Road Pro, no as its via Bluetooth to your phone app. Hope not just to see if its working properly.

Will

Wouldn't you be better swapping the solar controller for this Victron Energy Smart Solar MPPT 75V/15A, connect using the app.

Wouldn't you be better swapping the solar controller for this Victron Energy Smart Solar MPPT 75V/15A, connect using the app.
Guess you could but should there’s be a need for a warranty claim they wouldn’t process it.by adding the Votronic BT it should not be an issue.

After some more checking disconnected the + terminal lead from solar controller in theory it should have battery voltage minimum 12.7 volts but nothing showing on my multimeter, main information board is showing battery 71% 12.7 volts, checked output from solar controller to battery that is at 14.5 volts, it could be it is not wired direct to the battery circuit but through the charge controller when you plug mains in? plugged my 100w portable solar system direct to the leisure battery inside board now showing 13.5v so is charging my MPPT is showing it is supplying 14.2v & 5.2 amps so whatever is happening my roof solar charging is not getting to the leisure battery even though its producing 5.4 amp output & 14.5 volts.

I believe the charge controller is under the passenger seat, also this unit prevents you getting to a bunch of fuses at the back of the passenger seat frame second photo.

IMG_2207 2.JPG

IMG_2166.JPG

100% when I left last night and 80% at 8.30 this morning. It was minus 3 or 4 and being under the bonnet is not the prime spot for a leisure battery.

On the bright side @Jester , Will, this thing works and the solar panel has been chugging away this morning.

81429761-EBC0-4588-9EA8-6CD268CD51A5.png

100% when I left last night and 80% at 8.30 this morning. It was minus 3 or 4 and being under the bonnet is not the prime spot for a leisure battery.

On the bright side @Jester , Will, this thing works and the solar panel has been chugging away this morning.

View attachment 77134
The voltage is more accurate than the % calculation.
12.7 v is nominally taken as 100% capacity. Measured after at least 30 mins rest with no charging input or any output.

View attachment 77134
Hi Ian,

Just received my one today, however no van as its in having the protective film applied.
was it as easy as they say to connect, any photos.
Good guidance from WG, thanks WG as no electronic knowledge here.

Hi Ian,

Just received my one today, however no van as its in having the protective film applied.
was it as easy as they say to connect, any photos.
Good guidance from WG, thanks WG as no electronic knowledge here.
Simple Will. Tricky bit is getting the connection cable into the solar controller. I’ve velcro’ed mine onto the side of the cabinet, as I didn’t want to start screwing in and find the location was rubbish.

21F19567-F6A9-47E6-B4CD-D2AE339DE364.jpeg

The voltage is more accurate than the % calculation.
12.7 v is nominally taken as 100% capacity. Measured after at least 30 mins rest with no charging input or any output.
Ive been having some challenges with my solar panel - out in the sun all day, fridge on 2 lights and battery then showing low. Garage looked at it and changed switch 1 to AGM 2. Now my solar regulator is showing battery full charged and the control panel is saying 71% and 12.7V - does this mean the control panel % isnt accurate and that I should just rely on the voltage and the solar regulator? And should the switch be AGM 2 or lead/AGM - Confused

Ive been having some challenges with my solar panel - out in the sun all day, fridge on 2 lights and battery then showing low. Garage looked at it and changed switch 1 to AGM 2. Now my solar regulator is showing battery full charged and the control panel is saying 71% and 12.7V - does this mean the control panel % isnt accurate and that I should just rely on the voltage and the solar regulator? And should the switch be AGM 2 or lead/AGM - Confused
My 680 is the same shows charged at the controller but low on the panel, I purchased the Bluetooth connection it says no battery connection so 100% not working, I have a 120w portable solar panel I connected to the Leisure battery the panel shows 100% after 3 hours so factory controller is not in the charge circuit, it is booked into vw again for repair as they failed to look at it last week when in for service.6A5A922D-780D-4675-96E1-274AC845903E.jpeg

Thank for this - mine is definitely connected but seems to charge only from time to time. Went out this morning and control panel showing 62% and 12.4 V, drove around block - what 500yds - and control panel now showing as charging and solar regulator saying battery full!

If your panel is showing battery 62% in the morning with sunny weather throughout the day if not using much power it will get to 100% easily by mid afternoon, when driving it uses the alternator for charge not solar so will show in the panel that it is charging, a 178w panel in bright sunshine should keep you battery toped up throughout the day without any other aid

If you are getting no charing from you solar try pulling out the ST1 fuse from the back under the bed under the solar charge controller. This fixed our issue when we were in direct sunlight with 40% batt and no charging.

Solar_charge_fuse.png

Thanks for the info just been to vw it is getting a new control panel replaced as it will not take any updates to fix my issues

My 680 is the same shows charged at the controller but low on the panel, I purchased the Bluetooth connection it says no battery connection so 100% not working, I have a 120w portable solar panel I connected to the Leisure battery the panel shows 100% after 3 hours so factory controller is not in the charge circuit, it is booked into vw again for repair as they failed to look at it last week when in for service.View attachment 80272
Hi Mark you have possibly worked this out already, you need to press the solar icon on the app to show information. The batteries icon will not work as not wired for it. It apparently requires a shunt.
Can be done though.
Good luck.

Hi, our solar is not working. I have removed the ST1 fuse as suggested in this thread; however, still no luck. The MPP light is green (see attached).
I would be grateful for any advice?960A5B18-EA5B-4C9D-B19C-D334CCC0AE85.jpeg

We had the same problem a software update fixed it, it has been faultless since

Back