Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6spd Manual available again in the UK

So let me get this right
it’s £500 more the first years tax (duty) for a manual....and it’s £1600 more to opt for a a dsg box over a manual,
so that’s not the same price give or take a few pounds like you said ???
it’s still £1100 more for the dsg??
I’m not trying to prove you wrong .pls don’t think I am but I didn’t think this could be possible and it isn’t ..There’s £1100 difference ....t
But all the same I’m glad I bought a van before this ludicrously expensive first years duty went up!!!!!!!

Even in 2016/17, included in the "on the road' charges was a 1st year VED rate which was higher than subsequent years just like it is now....

For example. A new vehicle registered in 2016 - 2017 tax year (before latest changes) with a CO2 rating of 256g was £1120 for 1st year then £515 from 2nd year onwards.

A CO2 of 199g was £500 1st year falling to £290 in subsequent years etc etc.....

So the practise of loading up the 1st years VED, and hiding it in 'On the road' charges has been going on for some time.......admittedly it has been raised considerably during the last overhaul of VED, but the principle has been applied for some time.

Again, it comes down to whether you are prepared to pay the bottom line price for a new vehicle. VED of £1.5k on a £60k vehicle is 2.5%, but that itself shouldn't put you off if you want a new one.

It wasnt actually, sensitive clearly, I did sense you were spoiling to make it so. Sure I have a DSG but I drive lots of manuals and generally prefer them however I need the 4 motion.The DSG isnt a great auto imo compared to a ZF for instance. Dont have LEDs or a chip come to that just a few facts.
You stated a fact that you don’t see many people buying manuals because of there the same price as a dsg.???and was wrong by some margin...

You sensed You was going to be questioned about your statement ...

iv had both there both great .but I have a manual at the moment.
had a few issue with dsg’s but that was an early dsg i would definitely own another..

Last edited:
Our new on Thursday! Ocean has an electric top; ordered in early October and expected mid March so must be to Model year 2019 spec.
As to the VED; the initial cost is £1760 on an ocean 204 4motion , which we have just paid!
It's a complete nonsense as my 2 litre diesel car, 3years old, is classed at 129g/m and has an annual road fund tax of £30!

Our cali ocean is due to arrive in the UK in 3 weeks - we ordered on the basis of an electronic roof so I really hope that ours isn't manual!!
Hi
We have also ordered two weeks ago with electric roof.
The dealer configurator is different to the configurator on the public Vw site so hopefully we all get our electric roofs. Do let us know when you get yours in March and post some pics :thumb

To tax my coast manual is 105 euro for the year here in I:cheersIreland

Our cali ocean is due to arrive in the UK in 3 weeks - we ordered on the basis of an electronic roof so I really hope that ours isn't manual!!

Sorry if you turn out to be disappointed TeamJones. But FWIW, a lot of people including me would have chosen a manual roof if it had been an option in the past - even for no cost reduction. The electro-hydraulic roof adds no practical value IMO, and is is big bill (once out of warranty) and major inconvenience (at any time) if it goes kaput. Better off with manual in the long run.

Sorry if you turn out to be disappointed TeamJones. But FWIW, a lot of people including me would have chosen a manual roof if it had been an option in the past - even for no cost reduction. The electro-hydraulic roof adds no practical value IMO, and is is big bill (once out of warranty) and major inconvenience (at any time) if it goes kaput. Better off with manual in the long run.
Disagree. You’ll be wanting a Woodburner next in place of the Parking Heater.:eek:

Having had both types I much prefer the manual roof as well, basically because it's simple and effective. IMO the electro/hydraulic version is engineering overkill. The manual version doesn't require a central control panel, wiring, electric motor, hydraulic pipes and pump so is much less likely to provide problems and big bills later on. Also I no longer have to put up with Mrs B reminding me that she hates the noise it made every time the roof went up.

However I do accept that the manual version might not be suitable for everyone. Those who no longer have any strength or dexterity in their digits might find it difficult to operate. Also you have to be able to reach the roof pull down strap and catches. The securing catches can be a little fiddly and can require a degree of strength to snap shut however they can be adjusted to suit.

VW could lower the overall price of the Ocean (some hopes) and offer the Electric roof as an option.

Last edited:
If someone can confirm if they are now offering an electric roof.
I might actually order a new one.
Can’t stand the Ocean roof. Completely waste of time and money on a small Volkswagen

After waiting for 6 months to get a manual my wife decided to go and test drive a beach. They only had DSG so she drive that and has now decided she wants a DSG gah !

There's a coast for sale on ebay. Manual roof. Rhd. Best if all worlds

The ocean definitely comes with electric roof - in uk you still can’t spec a manual roof with an ode an that’s only available on a beach - checked with my dealer yesterday when I’ve added some more to spec. :)

Having had both types I much prefer the manual roof as well, basically because it's simple and effective. IMO the electro/hydraulic version is engineering overkill. The manual version doesn't require a central control panel, wiring, electric motor, hydraulic pipes and pump so is much less likely to provide problems and big bills later on. Also I no longer have to put up with Mrs B reminding me that she hates the noise it made every time the roof went up.

However I do accept that the manual version might not be suitable for everyone. Those who no longer have any strength or dexterity in their digits might find it difficult to operate. Also you have to be able to reach the roof pull down strap and catches. The securing catches can be a little fiddly and can require a degree of strength to snap shut however they can be adjusted to suit.

VW could lower the overall price of the Ocean (some hopes) and offer the Electric roof as an option.
It’s interesting how personal every aspect of a Cali is to each owner.
Beach or ocean
Manual or dsg
2wd or 4wd.
I can see both points here re manual vs electric roof.
On my old 1970 Bay the gas struts kept of failing and had to be refilled and replaced, that said there are issues with the electric roofs especially out of warranty.

At the moment I’m on the electric roof side of the fence (just).

It’s interesting how personal every aspect of a Cali is to each owner.
Beach or ocean
Manual or dsg
2wd or 4wd.
I can see both points here re manual vs electric roof.
On my old 1970 Bay the gas struts kept of failing and had to be refilled and replaced, that said there are issues with the electric roofs especially out of warranty.

At the moment I’m on the electric roof side of the fence (just).
And you will find the electric roof a pure delight. I did on our previous Cali however for me there was always that nagging feeling that one day it might go wrong and if it did it wasn't going to be cheap to fix. For me the manual roof is a much less complicated solution to the same problem and therefore does away with those nagging feelings.

Good luck with you new van.

And you will find the electric roof a pure delight. I did on our previous Cali however for me there was always that nagging feeling that one day it might go wrong and if it did it wasn't going to be cheap to fix. For me the manual roof is a much less complicated solution to the same problem and therefore does away with those nagging feelings.

Good luck with you new van.
Thanks @Borris ive read on forum and seen people go stir crazy waiting for their new van to arrive (now I fear it’s happening to me). Can’t wait.
At least this time around I know we will arrive at our destination :cheers

How has this thread ended up about roofs, it's a gearbox thread.:confused:

Going to put my order in this week for a loaded Beach in manual. Swithered in DSG but I actually prefer driving the manual.

Back