Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

7 Seater Questions

G

g_c_matthews_2000

Hello all

I am looking to buy a full 7-seat Beach but can't quite figure out the seating configuration. There would be two seats in the middle tier and the 3-seat rear bench. Does the downstairs bed still work in that configuration? Do I have to take out the mid-tier seats to create space for the downstairs bed to open out into? Are the mid-tier seats easily removable, i.e. could I remove the one next to the door to create more storage space on a trip? And presumably with the 2 mid-tier seats in, we can't put the table in?

What other experiences do people have using Beach as an MPV, I currently drive a 7 seat Chrysler MPV. I'm not a speed freak or too worried about how I look....just want some fun for me and the 4 kids and wife.

Thanks

Sorry for stupid Qs..... :oops:

i think the best way to answer this is to give a rough idea of how current Beach owners find their vehicles.

With the Beach you have two versions, a two seater rear bench version with a storage box/chest and a three seater rear bench version without the chest.

Additional Seats

The two seat Beach can have one additional seat, the chest prevents two. The three seater bench allows for two additional seats. The additional seats are not light but they are removable, they rotate and storage drawers giving you some configuration options.

Multiflex Board

Both two seater and three seater Beaches have a multiflex board but they are different. The three seater Beach is designed to be the MPV option, the back quarter of the board drops. This means you can push the rear seat back if you want more leg room, handy if you do have additional seats, or you can use it to make the 'long bed', using the additional seats. The board in the two seater Beach is fixed and can't be adjusted.

What are VW up to?

Well the two seater Beach is the original Beach, it was how the Beach first came onto the market. The two seater Bench seat is the same as the full Cali. The advantage is here is that when it converts into a bed it sits much lower than the three seater. This makes it more a going away/camping vehicle. The storage box is big, again, ideal for going away. With the three seater Beach, if you make the rear seat into a bed, you kind of need the roof up.

The three seater Beach then is the MPV option (loosely put). If you need to move people, then it makes more sense then the two seater. It's not better because each layout gives you something different but the three seater version has more flexible seating. The multiflex board also sits higher in the rear, which gives you a bit more boot space underneath.

Personally I'd consider a two or three seater Beach. I kind of like the two seater, there's something quite cool about its layout and it feels quite different. The three seater is good because it's a great MPV, it just depends what you need.

I doubt you'll get much help from most (most not all) dealers so look through the Beach section here at owners' experiences.

Hope that helps.

James

Thanks, ok now i understand, the difference is the storage chest running along the inside of the van, thats why only one middle tier revolving seat fits. That's quite a compromise for a storage chest. I have 4 kids so need an MPV for normal life, but i guess with the 7 seater I can take out the two middle row revolving seats when i feel like it and put the table back in?

g_c_matthews_2000 said:
Thanks, ok now i understand, the difference is the storage chest running along the inside of the van, thats why only one middle tier revolving seat fits. That's quite a compromise for a storage chest. I have 4 kids so need an MPV for normal life, but i guess with the 7 seater I can take out the two middle row revolving seats when i feel like it and put the table back in?

Yes exactly. The three seater is closer to a UK Caravelle, the two seater closer to a Cali

The two seats come out and move about on the rail system.

One thing about the Beach is just how useable It is. People often say to me, your van is big, how do you park etc etc. The Beach is big but as a daily driver it presents no real problems. Easy to park, good driving view and masses of space inside. It's more multi purpose than most MPVs.

The way I look at it is, you can spend 30k+ on a car/MPV/sports car and they remain what they are and they could be nice, could be great to drive, have plenty of kit etc etc. I feel with the Beach you do get an extra something. It does give you the whole going away thing on top of its flexibility. There are not many vehicles that can do two different jobs if you like. You only need to experience going away for the first time as we did when we drove to Seaton, pull up, seat down into a bed, and doze listening to the sound of the sea to think, I've made the right choice. It all sounds a bit cliche but you do have a life changing vehicle in the Beach - I know Redred Zimmer will concur with that.

Sounds like you need the 7 seats.

You won't be disappointed

James

James said:
Calikev said:
Great post James :thumb explained well :thanks

Kev

I am still waiting for the commission from VW :D

I should think you have sold a few for them :thumb
I wouldn't hold your breath on the commission though :laugh2 :laugh2

So I have the seven seat configuration and I think it is a brilliant vehicle. To re-enforce James point about the duality of purpose, one weekend away camping we had a great time and then slid the three seat bench forward and took a bath home as well! In seven seat mode there is loads of space for kids, way better than most MPVs. The only point to check before you buy is the weight of the two individual seats. They are removable but very heavy, I don't remove them by myself - instead getting someone to help. I am pretty sure that you need to remove the seats to effectively make use of the bed mode.

Steve.

You can make the bed up with the middle row seats incorporate them in to the bed. Makes a very long bed and you need a long thick mattress as their is a space between the middle seats. The vw one works. The multiflex board slides to the back, you shorten it by dropping the front section. The rear seat made into the bed and the middle seats folded flat forward facing so they can be tilted up as back rest if you choose. Doesn't really leave any floor space in the van and haven't tried sleeping like this but dealer did demo it for us.

You can have the bed short eg for the kids or regular size. Our 3 kids still quite small and so sleep downstairs but widthways with each having plenty of room. Don't really find the height thing an issue.

Have to agree with comments re weight of seats. Can be done alone but not easy. Ours stay in till camping trip and then come out.

Someone previously posted you can put the table up with all seats in if the rear seats are right back.

Yes you can make up the bed with the middle row (2 captains chairs) seats still in but it is tight. I'd recommend trying it out before you need to do it as there's a knack to it.

The bed is higher than the seats in the middle row so it looks a bit odd - made me wonder if it was right.

There is no free floor space left when the bed is up and the middle row seats are still in.

We have used it for camping like this but I think it would be much easier with just 2 people and the middle row of seats out!

Like others have said - it's a fabulous vehicle - good 7 seater with boot space and then if you take the middle seats out it's a spacious 5 seater with a MASSIVE boot.

Well you live and learn ..... good dealer - mine added no value in explaining how things worked, I have had to figure it out myself. I guess you could also swivel the middle row seats by 90 degrees to make a bit more space and close the gap up in the middle? I'll that a try next time I have them in!

Steve

Forgive me if the answer to this question is elsewhere on the forum but I haven't been able to find it.

I am about to buy the 3-seater version of the Beach. My question is: if I want to maximise space in the back (for moving a couch for example!), is the bench seat fully removable? If not the 3-seater, can the 2-seater and storage box be fully removed? Thanks! Kenny

I think they are both removable. However I gather that a hernia comes as standard if you try. :shocked

Yes both 3 seat bench and two seat setup can be removed. The three seat is also not as heavy as you would expect given the weight of the individual seats, but it will take two people to get it out. I have moved two massive wardrobes with everything removed.... brilliant!

Steve.

Reactions: Sab
I have a 7 seater beach on order. I was wondering: if you remove the multiflex board completely, can you slide the 3seat bench backward even further than with the multiflex board partially folded down?

I would like to maximize living space with all 7 seats in, when there is no luggage to carry. And then see if I can construct a kitchen module without removing a single seat. Doesn't have to be practical, it is to convert the car into an official "camper".

Found the answers in the mean time...
Been playing with the seat configuration.
The perfect configuration for 7 people sitting together and having a drink would be with the middle seat turned 90 degrees, like this :cool:
IMAG0354.jpg

And the beach with all 7 seats in and the "long" bed looks like this
IMAG0356.jpg

I really like the Beach's flexibility.

Nice to have pictures on this. I am now leaning to a three seater, especially since I can't get the Kutamo darker interior with the two seater.

I'm about to buy a Beach, 3bench seat, finalising a few things. Anyone seen a photo with the Kutamo Interior?

Last edited:
Hi Tim..(We've spoken before)
Very helpful. I agree, yellow and Kutamo(the lighter interior would not last with my two children - I'm sure of that!)
Addicted to this site - Thanks for your imput. Sure to bother you again soon with the odd question!
Hi

I have gone yellow and kutamo - the dealer said it was the right combination and smart. have a look at this

http://www.volkswagen-commercial-ve...ditions/rendition.file/the-new-california.pdf

You might see a snippet in the brochure

Cheers

Hi Tim..(We've spoken before)
Very helpful. I agree, yellow and Kutamo(the lighter interior would not last with my two children - I'm sure of that!)
Addicted to this site - Thanks for your imput. Sure to bother you again soon with the odd question!

Cheers

Hi Tim..

Kutamo seating and titanium black interior, yes?!

Anyone who knows the difference in space height between 2 and 3 seaters bed and roof?

Back