Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

80% of battery always shown

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We have just had all the batteries (2 Leisure and one engine) replaced under warranty. We have two of Rogers solar panels. The battery indicator on the control panel is always showing 80%. Due to the cold weather the heater is programmed to come on at 7.30 for a hour at level 4. Each day the van is driven for an hour (30mins each way) The display shows 80% before and after the drive. The solar app says there is 30-40wats per day consumption. Plus there has been a lot of sunshine here each day

I don’t understand why is always saying 80% never 100% or even 90% just 80% especially when the solar is charging. I wonder if this is a sign something else is discharging the battery. The warranty issue was the lights in the unit coming on randomly. Don’t think this is happening at the moment (or I’m not catching it). Is this due the heater coming in once a day ? Be grateful for any insight on this

Not sure what you mean but matched this picture I took before it was disconnected when reconnecting it.

48DE7135-B14A-4F75-B3B9-41C044B0263A.jpeg

3CAE9DC2-D1FB-42F8-8F20-BD72794F9B44.jpeg

6FD9C628-D785-468B-AC85-74A965403D46.jpeg

Is the negative from the solar charger connected to the battery negative or the chassis?
if its on the battery then the shunt won’t be registering the charge.
I think it’s connected to the battery, I presume VW rewired it the same way when they changed the batteries. Don’t remember Rogers instructions mentioning attaching it to the chassis ? But why would that make it say at 80%. Sorry I’m completely clueless with electrics

Trace the battery cable and see where the black cable connects.
Ok will do, would it be possible explain what a shunt is and how it effects what the panel shows ? Does this mean it is 100% but not showing it ?

I think it’s connected to the battery, I presume VW rewired it the same way when they changed the batteries. Don’t remember Rogers instructions mentioning attaching it to the chassis ? But why would that make it say at 80%. Sorry I’m completely clueless with electrics
Roger updated his instructions I believe. Mine gets hung up occasionally and takes a while to catch up.

press the power button twice to fully power of you control panel and then switch it back on and give it a day to recalculate

Roger updated his instructions I believe. Mine gets hung up occasionally and takes a while to catch up.

press the power button twice to fully power of you control panel and then switch it back on and give it a day to recalculate
So hopefully all is well it’s just not calibrated ?

Ok will do, would it be possible explain what a shunt is and how it effects what the panel shows ? Does this mean it is 100% but not showing it ?
The shunt tells the cali controller how much current and in what direction, is flowing in or out of the batteries. It then uses a calculation to work out the remaining capacity.

I will run through all that in the morning, thank you for your help

Hi - a couple of things

- it's not consumption the Victron all is showing. It's power generation - you might consume no power at all but the solar wil still top up the batteries (maintenance charge) and hence show some yield.

- Your Victron, I'm 99% confident, is not connected to your batteries at all, and is being powered by the solar panel alone. There are a few clues.

1 - the min battery voltage is showing as 0v every day. That's not possible. It should read somewhere over 12v min voltage each day.
2 - the max voltage is showing almost identical every day. That just doesn't happen.
3 - the max power each day (P max) should be more than 3 or 4w - even with full batteries.

Try connecting to it over bluetooth at night... if I'm right - you'll struggle.

I would check that the cables are connected to the rear battery, and that the fuse is sat properly in it's holder, and the fuse itself is not blown.

- On pre-6.1 calis connecting the earth to the chassis does not mean the Cali panel will show the solar charging. At least not in my tests, nor several customer tests - hence I don't suggest doing it.

I odn't think your Victron is connectet to the batteries.

Hi - a couple of things

- it's not consumption the Victron all is showing. It's power generation - you might consume no power at all but the solar wil still top up the batteries (maintenance charge) and hence show some yield.

- Your Victron, I'm 99% confident, is not connected to your batteries at all, and is being powered by the solar panel alone. There are a few clues.

1 - the min battery voltage is showing as 0v every day. That's not possible. It should read somewhere over 12v min voltage each day.
2 - the max voltage is showing almost identical every day. That just doesn't happen.
3 - the max power each day (P max) should be more than 3 or 4w - even with full batteries.

Try connecting to it over bluetooth at night... if I'm right - you'll struggle.

I would check that the cables are connected to the rear battery, and that the fuse is sat properly in it's holder, and the fuse itself is not blown.

- On pre-6.1 calis connecting the earth to the chassis does not mean the Cali panel will show the solar charging. At least not in my tests, nor several customer tests - hence I don't suggest doing it.

I odn't think your Victron is connectet to the batteries.
Hi Roger thanks so much, I will check it in the morning

I checked and it has be wired in by the dealer, changed the fuse as that may have blown. How do I know it’s working form the readout ? Or what the panel might say. At the moment the panel is flashing the van G symbol, is that significant ?

I checked and it has be wired in by the dealer, changed the fuse as that may have blown. How do I know it’s working form the readout ? Or what the panel might say. At the moment the panel is flashing the van G symbol, is that significant ?
Yes, it is if the engine isn't running.
Reset the Control Panel.

If you want to know that the Victron has power simply disconnect the solar red wire. If it stays on, it's connected to the battery. If not, it isn't.

You should see charging happening (watts produced) real time, especially with the fridge on.

You should also see the battery voltage climb to over 14v after you start the engine.

R

p.s. this is all on the Victron app - nothing to do with the VW display.

If you don't have your phone with you - the Victron will light up a blue led (perhaps flashing) that may also turn green, when it has power. Do this with the red solar cable removed so you know it's not the solar panel powering the Victron.

1618504929411.png

I’ve forgotten how do set the control panel again ?
Switch it Off, L lower button. Wait 1 minute and switch back On using same button.

Back