Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

• Next Club Meet:
    Slimbridge in Gloucestershire on 17th-19th May (last few pitches remaining) More Details Here

A £82.5k California - OUCH!

MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
So just playing with the 'build your own Cali" configurator and just wanted to see if you add EVERY option, how much it comes to in 2019 prices and its a whopping £82.2k. To save money, i didnt add the £85 flashlight option ;)

I know it would be lovely but £82.2k, but wow VW, thats some serious cash!
Screenshot_20190203-093348_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190203-093348_Chrome.jpg

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I wonder what te payload would end up being if you went for every option on a 4motion?

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Screenshot 2019-02-03 at 11.10.39.jpg

Bit difficult sleeping a family of 4, or making a cup of tea.

Horses for Courses.

Volkywagen

Volkywagen

A rolling stone gathers no moss
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Can’t put a price on quality ;)

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2017 150 DSG Ocean
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
The old psychological £50k barrier seems well and truly behind us!

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I wonder how many years these high cost, high tech vehicles will be cost effective to keep on the road. The old days of being able to keep a car on the road by DIY and trip to the breakers yard are fast disappearing.

Eber123

Eber123

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Good afternoon,

I went to the German VW web page and configured the California Ocean as if money is not an issue. But fair enough I did not add everything, just what I would like to have.

The price was almost EUR 97,000 :headbang.

The good thing is, that even if I wanted to, not everything is available in Ireland. Have I said that I would never be in a position to get a California Ocean in a dream configuration (I guess that is the reason why it called dream).

I agree to ArunAlec that there is so little DIY that can be done on this vehicle. It seems to me that a VW technician's most used tool is the laptop to update software. I wouldn't even attempt to change the batteries somewhere else then VW.

On the other hand, if the technology works it is nice. :)

Regards,
Eberhard

Eber123

Eber123

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Good afternoon,

I would love to have the California with the 4motion, differential lock and DSG. The rest could be the same as it is in my Ocean.

I don't need the big radio (well, better speakers would be nice) or the LED lights.

I still hope that I will be "rewarded" in the future with less costs for service (no DSG, FWD and the smaller engine).

Regards,
Eberhard

tuono001

tuono001

I looked the other day, after reading this thread, I managed to spec my ideal beach to just shy of £63k :Nailbiting
And why is it that you can't spec certain things for the beach that you can on the ocean? If you could that would really blow the budgeto_O

ChrisB

ChrisB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
The UK prices are very high and overall spec' choice tends to be sold as a package, rather than as individual items. I thought the UK system was s bit like Sky TV a few years ago, where you paid for a 20 channel TV package but only really wanted 4 of them. I managed to sweet talk the salesman into allowing me to configure my cali' under their 'business customer' arrangements, which was really flexible. I took delivery in late 2017 (2018 MY).

I went for an Ocean 150 DSG 4 motion, with difflock, all season tyres, an 80 litre fuel tank, immobiliser and a detachable tow bar. Plus a few other bits & bobs. The final price at the time of order (July 2017) came to 61500 euro quids, which at the time of exchanging the money in Sept 2017 worked out at about £55,500 coin of the realm.

The killer for me was the exchange rate. In Nov' 2015, the exact same vehicle would have cost me just £43,930)!

I avoided too many electric gizmos and LED headlights, which were an astonishingly expensive option. They might 'lightup the moon' and have a claimed 'service life' of 50,000 hours, but they still only have the standard vehicle guarantee, which in Spain is 2 years. Possible repair/replacement costs at 800+ euros a side put me right off. If I 'bust a bulb' in my cali with H7's, it's 20 minutes and a tenner to fix.

I also went for the 150 because I didn't really need the extra 'oomph' as I spent a lifetime driving police traffic cars for a living so I prefer to 'pootle' nowadays. That said, I recently 'pootled' from Orange (France) to my home in Murcia in a day (Just shy of 1000 kms at an average of 39mpg loaded with roofbox and bike rack). Not a smidgin of backache either!

When I was considering the 204, the dealer shook his head and explained that future service packages on a 204 Ocean have to be charged at the 'retail customer' levels as they couldn't class it as a 'business vehicle' for service & maintenance etc.

I am really happy with my purchase. Since then, I have spent another shedload of extra cash on camping extras. Worst thing I bought with the vehicle was the 'comfort mattress' which is a pile of crap.

I don't know if costs in Spain have risen since my purchase, but the costs shown above are accurate and would suggest that UK customers are paying a lot more for their cali's.

MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
The UK prices are very high and overall spec' choice tends to be sold as a package, rather than as individual items. I thought the UK system was s bit like Sky TV a few years ago, where you paid for a 20 channel TV package but only really wanted 4 of them. I managed to sweet talk the salesman into allowing me to configure my cali' under their 'business customer' arrangements, which was really flexible. I took delivery in late 2017 (2018 MY).

I went for an Ocean 150 DSG 4 motion, with difflock, all season tyres, an 80 litre fuel tank, immobiliser and a detachable tow bar. Plus a few other bits & bobs. The final price at the time of order (July 2017) came to 61500 euro quids, which at the time of exchanging the money in Sept 2017 worked out at about £55,500 coin of the realm.

The killer for me was the exchange rate. In Nov' 2015, the exact same vehicle would have cost me just £43,930)!

I avoided too many electric gizmos and LED headlights, which were an astonishingly expensive option. They might 'lightup the moon' and have a claimed 'service life' of 50,000 hours, but they still only have the standard vehicle guarantee, which in Spain is 2 years. Possible repair/replacement costs at 800+ euros a side put me right off. If I 'bust a bulb' in my cali with H7's, it's 20 minutes and a tenner to fix.

I also went for the 150 because I didn't really need the extra 'oomph' as I spent a lifetime driving police traffic cars for a living so I prefer to 'pootle' nowadays. That said, I recently 'pootled' from Orange (France) to my home in Murcia in a day (Just shy of 1000 kms at an average of 39mpg loaded with roofbox and bike rack). Not a smidgin of backache either!

When I was considering the 204, the dealer shook his head and explained that future service packages on a 204 Ocean have to be charged at the 'retail customer' levels as they couldn't class it as a 'business vehicle' for service & maintenance etc.

I am really happy with my purchase. Since then, I have spent another shedload of extra cash on camping extras. Worst thing I bought with the vehicle was the 'comfort mattress' which is a pile of crap.

I don't know if costs in Spain have risen since my purchase, but the costs shown above are accurate and would suggest that UK customers are paying a lot more for their cali's.
UK customers are paying a lot more for most things now due to the £1 having some wobbles due to [whisper]...... b r e x i t*

*sorry for swearing

Our Partners