Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A belated 'Hello' - T6 Beach Ordered - Have we missed anything?

Stoneybroke

Stoneybroke

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Well I’ve been around on the forum for a few short weeks, but already it has paid off (VW Loyalty Bonus in the bag!) and I’ve finally got around to listing what we’ve ordered a couple of weeks ago– no firm dates yet for delivery, the best we have had yet was approx. 18-weeks, which means mid-to-late June…

We’ve opted for a Beach to replace our current 2005 Caravelle, which my wife bought mainly for weekend/overnight stays for her and the two dogs at Dog Agility competitions, plus somewhere to put her feet up during day shows (mainly sheltering from the rain!)

The Caravelle proved the point - a great vehicle to drive, so flexible, but with the dog cages in the boot, the Caravelle three-bench seat/double bed was only ever used corner-to-corner (with topper to remove the lumps) for one person. A drive-away awning facilitated a summer break for the two of us (plus one dog, the other died last April), but the idea of two sleeping, with minimal set-up, won us over. A new puppy, also destined for agility, a change of circumstances, and some minor spending on the Caravelle, plus the cost of putting a pop-top on the Caravelle to get the extra room, all persuaded us that an upgrade should be considered.

The additional space and storage we will gain with a Beach is the natural progression; the chairs and table storage just fab - cutting packing for days out, and space saving.

California Beach 2.0 TDi 150PS EU6 6 Speed Manual - Bamboo Garden Green
  • Two Seat Bench/Bed - Pilion Cloth - Moon Rock (the only colour for a two-seater...)
  • Parking Heater + Auxiliary Coolant Heater + Remote (as Ocean spec.)
  • Comfort Dash Package (including 3-zone climate control)
  • Composition Media Radio (compulsory with comfort dash)
  • Sliding Window Drivers Side
  • Heated Washer Nozzles etc
  • All Weather Tyres (for extra grip on muddy competition car parks, and sure-footedness in winter)
  • Power Latching Side Door
  • Privacy Glass
  • Electric Folding Door Mirrors
  • Adaptive Cruise Control with Front Assist and City Emergency Braking (Includes Multi-function steering wheel)
  • Exterior Package (that’s twin headlights, front fogs, black mirror covers)
  • Interior Light Concept
  • Towbar Preparation
  • Parking Sensors Front & Rear + Camera
  • One Additional Rear Swivelling Seat (to make a five-seater, though it will spend much of the time on specially made racking in the garage – left over from the Caravelle middle row seats)
  • Heated Driver & Passenger Seats

Thanks to everyone for their informative posts that have helped us reach our decisions, however the question remains: have we left out any must-haves?

The roll-out awning has been left-off, mainly because it will be driven daily, but I am considering the heavy duty anti-roll bars, but am still researching - any thoughts? Mud flaps maybe? Wind-deflectors - do they work?

I've already searched the forum for seat covers and pop-top covers, so will be shopping for those in due course, though recommendations always welcome.

It's just too long to wait!

Andy & Carole

Welcome to you both. I'm new too. So many options to choose from. Already bought a few items and the list is endless.
I'm interested in mud flaps but can only find ones that screw on to the bumper face (rears) and wondering how it looks etc

Hello Stoneybroke,
Your have put together a lovely Beach.
I would definately go for the mud flaps and yes the wind deflectors do work. They are also great for facilitating ventilation at night whilst maintaining security and without letting the rain in.
If it were mine I would specify the role out awning especially with dogs. Apart from being able to sit under it in the shade or out of the drizzle it makes a great porch/external storage room when used in combination with the excellent Comfortz awning kit.
Good luck and happy adventures

Virtually the same spec as my order - good choice!

I didn't add the heated seats (not convinced unless leather, based on my previous cars) but I did order the awning, comfort mattress and App Connect, which I think is the thing you've missed and would absolutely encourage you to add, especially as you've upgraded the stereo!

Apart from the benefits on offer to you, all cars will be mobile connected in a few years and having that in your Cali will really help sell it on. Best extra £120odd you could spend, seeing as you're already spending so much.

Virtually the same spec as my order - good choice!

I didn't add the heated seats (not convinced unless leather, based on my previous cars) but I did order the awning, comfort mattress and App Connect, which I think is the thing you've missed and would absolutely encourage you to add, especially as you've upgraded the stereo!

Apart from the benefits on offer to you, all cars will be mobile connected in a few years and having that in your Cali will really help sell it on. Best extra £120odd you could spend, seeing as you're already spending so much.
Heated seats - we have then in the Caravelle with cloth seats, wonderful, especially with my aching lower back..
App-connect, the media upgrade was a late addition due to the comfort dash, so I hadn't considered the app-connect. More searching to do. I need to see what the feedback is.

Hello Stoneybroke,
I would definately go for the mud flaps and yes the wind deflectors do work. They are also great for facilitating ventilation at night whilst maintaining security and without letting the rain in.
If it were mine I would specify the role out awning especially with dogs. Apart from being able to sit under it in the shade or out of the drizzle it makes a great porch/external storage room when used in combination with the excellent Comfortz awning kit.
Good luck and happy adventures

Thanks Boris
Casting vote on the awning goes with Carole who doesn't really like its appearance, however the mudflaps and deflectors are moving up the list for the final options.

Bamboo garden green , seen it in the showroom and liked it.....
Pictures.....!
Enjoy it.

Hehe another agility Cali owner. What breed? Sorry you lost one, hope the pup works out well. Exciting times.
Like you I opted not to go for the wind out awning and have bought a Vango Airbeam for weekend comps and a Funky Leisure Canopy for quick stopovers. Also gone for the Jormax fencing to ensure I can see the young lady in (and others out) when camping and she's in season.
I'm in discussion with a neighbour who reckons he can fit some mud flaps for me.
I just got mine only 2 days ago and it was 1 day away getting window tint (I had no tint and now have limo which looks great and I think will be perfect for keeping dogs cool in the summer). Spent most of today showing the neighbours around.
You have an exciting time ahead of you.:bananadance

Nice spec and good choice of colour. We have one at work currently and it looks stunning, particularly in the sun light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hehe another agility Cali owner. What breed? Sorry you lost one, hope the pup works out well. Exciting times.
Like you I opted not to go for the wind out awning and have bought a Vango Airbeam for weekend comps and a Funky Leisure Canopy for quick stopovers. Also gone for the Jormax fencing to ensure I can see the young lady in (and others out) when camping and she's in season.
I'm in discussion with a neighbour who reckons he can fit some mud flaps for me.
I just got mine only 2 days ago and it was 1 day away getting window tint (I had no tint and now have limo which looks great and I think will be perfect for keeping dogs cool in the summer). Spent most of today showing the neighbours around.
You have an exciting time ahead of you.:bananadance

The Agility success is entirely down to Carole... Maddie is her Collie/Cavalier cross; the pup a Cocker/Bichon cross - both rescues. I see yours are Tollies.

The Cali just seems right for the job, plus we can use it together as well - she's just hoping to get it before some longer shows over the summer!

Sounds like you're a little chuffed with your new Cali!

Hello Stoneybroke,
I would definately go for the mud flaps
Boris
Looking at Google images of mudflaps on T5 & 6, the rear ones appear to be mounted on the rear bumper, a few inches behind the wheel arch, is that right?

Order updated to include the heavy duty anti-roll bars.
Leaving the mud flaps and deflectors for now - I can always fit them later.
The dealer still has no better estimate of build date...

Re the mud flaps, if it were my order I would make further enquries with the dealer.
If you are thinking about mudflaps, I seem to recall reading somewhwere that it is much better and also cheeper to have the factory fit ones. Factory fitted, they are £114 (brochure price) as opposed to £144 (dealer quote for retro fitted mudflaps). It is also my understanding that the factory fitted ones are in someway different from the after market/after thought items.
I don't know how difficult they are to retro fit yourself but I have noticed some comments that suggest that this preceedure is not that straight forward. Can anyone clarify this issue?

Absolutely agree with Borris. Read this somewhere as well. Not as good a job and more expensive to retro fit.

Re the mud flaps, if it were my order I would make further enquries with the dealer.
If you are thinking about mudflaps, I seem to recall reading somewhwere that it is much better and also cheeper to have the factory fit ones. Factory fitted, they are £114 (brochure price) as opposed to £144 (dealer quote for retro fitted mudflaps). It is also my understanding that the factory fitted ones are in someway different from the after market/after thought items.
I don't know how difficult they are to retro fit yourself but I have noticed some comments that suggest that this preceedure is not that straight forward. Can anyone clarify this issue?

Retro fitting mudflaps involves drilling holes .....
In a brand new T6 it would be pretty stupid letting them out of the optionlist and think afthermarket.....

Mmm - all food for thought. The chief decision maker on appearance (Mrs. S) is not keen on the look of the rear flaps, positioned on the bumper, a couple of inches behind the wheel arch. It does look at little odd, I must admit. Does anyone know the reason for the positioning? On most vehicles I have seen the mud flaps follow on from the bottom of the wheel arch, as the front ones on the Calis do.

Just found this thread - https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/mudflaps.570/ which shows retro-fitting, even by dealers, involves drilling the bumper!

Has anyone got a close-up photo of a factory fitted rear mud flaps please for comparison?

As i said above about the drilling ....
Did you read the topic fully ?
There is a pic of my original mudflaps in that topic....
It is T5 but doubt if it is diffrent on T6

image.jpeg
Sorry about the quality. Being black on black its not that easy to see. However I suspect the reason that it is placed back from the wheel arch is to make them more effective. If they were attached to the actual wheel arch they would need to be longer to catch the muck. As it is they occasionaly catch the ground when going over uneven ground.

image.jpeg

View attachment 12289
Sorry about the quality. Being black on black its not that easy to see. However I suspect the reason that it is placed back from the wheel arch is to make them more effective. If they were attached to the actual wheel arch they would need to be longer to catch the muck. As it is they occasionaly catch the ground when going over uneven ground.

View attachment 12288
Boris
Thank you for these photos, they show the flaps well. I think it helps being black on black as it is not so apparent that there is part of the bumper between wheel arch and flap. We are still not convinced of the appearance with a lighter colour.
I don't think I'll have the casting vote on this one... We've managed without flaps on the Caravelle
Thanks for the help.

As i said above about the drilling ....
Did you read the topic fully ?
There is a pic of my original mudflaps in that topic....
It is T5 but doubt if it is diffrent on T6
I think I was writing my post on the drilling as you posted yours. I did see the photos, but hadn't spotted they were yours, sorry.

I think I was writing my post on the drilling as you posted yours. I did see the photos, but hadn't spotted they were yours, sorry.

No problem , just checking you knew ....good comparation .

After much thought, order now changed to DSG, though unconfirmed build date week 31, so we won't see it until September...

After much thought, order now changed to DSG, though unconfirmed build date week 31, so we won't see it until September...
An even more Stoneybroke then but I reckon you will be glad. I see you have the ACC as well so DSG was a must from everything I've read. Enjoy.

Mike