Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A bientôt EU

How much would you have spent if you had stayed at home?

From those figures it looks like you could have carried on travelling indefinitely.

How much would you have spent if you had stayed at home?

From those figures it looks like you could have carried on travelling indefinitely.
Financially we could have managed indefinitely.

If we stayed at home we would have lost £18,910 in pre-tax rental income, plus we need to pay council tax, gas, electricity, water, TV licence, fixed phone line (another ~£3,000).

I think that staying at home with neither of us working leaves us with £17,100 p.a. after housing costs. That is not quite the question you asked, but that is what we have available to spend on food, clothing, vehicle running costs, home maintenance, entertainment, etc without either of us working.

Money Matters

We set off on our adventures with net cash assets of £6,752 (£18,099 banked and cash; £11,347 on a credit card*).
Over the year £56,410 went into our bank.
£17,400 went out unrelated to our travels (mostly mortgage repayments).
We returned with net cash assets of £10,603 (£20,000 banked and cash; £9,397 on a credit card*).
Our trip cost us £35,159 excluding vehicle depreciation.
This includes insurance, fuel, accommodation, food, excursions, new clothing, ferries and Clare's three flights back to England, and her car hire.

We estimated in advance 100 Euros per day; at 375 days away from home this turned out to be remarkably close.

*We paid 3% for a cash advance on a credit card, 0% interest for 21 months.

Nice! So, where to next year then?

Tom
I’m missing ready your blog can you go somewhere else or just carry on with it in your normal life pls
Come and explore the new forest! I’m pitched up here praying I’ll get a signal for the footie.

Just wanted to say @Amarillo that your adventures sounded amazing and Ive read most of your blog so thank you for writing and sharing it with us all. Wow, just wow!

Were there times you wish you had a built in kitchen or was the Beach and the extra space it brings more pratical having two little ones and a dog?

Just wanted to say @Amarillo that your adventures sounded amazing and Ive read most of your blog so thank you for writing and sharing it with us all. Wow, just wow!

Were there times you wish you had a built in kitchen or was the Beach and the extra space it brings more pratical having two little ones and a dog?

We never wished for a built in kitchen. We sometimes wished for a living room with comfy chairs found in 6+ metre vans.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I’ve not had much chance to read the forum these last six-months so am slowly catching-up from Italy / Christmas - glad to hear the voyage came in on time & under budget.

Thanks for persevering with the write-up, even though it must’ve been a PITA at times, many of us have enjoyed the trip vicariously.

Huzzah.

@Amarillo I’ve just read this thread from start to finish over a few days. What an amazing trip and fantastic memories for you all! Thank you for sharing.

You have inspired me to take my wife & 2 kids (3.5 year old boy and 1.5 year old girl) on a mini tour before our eldest starts school in September 2023. Probably around 8 weeks next spring.

Last edited: