Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A big thank you, however...

First registration pays £800 year 1. then an additional £350 for the next 5 years. £140 being the new basic VED per year. This gives £490 for 5 years then the £350 drops out leaving £140.

There is a complication that I don't know the answer as yet. The £800 is payable when registering but as VED isn't transferable to the new owner, would the first owner get a portion of the £800 refunded and the new owner be expected to pay that to the DVLA plus basic VED?
I'd make sure that the first years £800 was paid by the Dealer if I bought an ex-demo Cali. Remember VED isn't transferable anymore.

The new VED rate period (6 years in total) stays with the vehicle regardless of ownership transfers.
Vehicle registered 1/4/2017, supplement ends 31/3/2023.
That can be altered at any time by the Chancellor so not set in stone.
Thanks I will try and push them to pay that first £800,
But they hold all the cards as they know we need the vehicle and also they know if we walked away they would easily sell a high spec beach .
Need to play it carefully ,
Maybe send the wife in , she normally wins people over !

Over 60 % in three years, that's high interest .( but remember investments can go down as up)
But 20% just from the brexit effect. Take a look at 2016. All down to the pound which is once again dropping.

There are funds that have appreciated as much if not more, e.g. Fundsmith and any Biotech fund up until the end of last year.

Having said that, these are not buy and forget investments they can go spectacularly wrong due to exchange rates, comments by politicians etc. If you do invest in them check things daily. But if you have the time and interest then you can make your pension or ISA grow nicely :)

Having said that, these are not buy and forget investments they can go spectacularly wrong due to exchange rates, comments by politicians etc. If you do invest in them check things daily. But if you have the time and interest then you can make your pension or ISA grow nicely :)

Sorry but in the context of this thread (ordinary folk trying to save up for their Cali purchase), I'd have to say that's very misleading advice.

It's been shown in study after study that the great majority of investment funds available to the public (86% of actively managed funds in Europe, according to the FT - 20 March 2016) underperform underlying market returns. Of course a small minority overperform, but it's a zero-sum game. Adding in fees will turn even a slight overperformance at gross level to a net underperformance at the level of the individual investor (don't forget, portfolio and fund management firms don't need for your investment value to grow, they take their slice from you regardless).

Forgive me if I've misinterpreted you but 'checking things daily' and maintaining 'time and interest' sound like saying an investor can judge in any meaningful way when to enter or exit an asset. Again, many studies have demonstrated that attempts at market timing are futile. And that's even if you think you have some secret sauce that enables you to 'spot' potential winners and put your money there in the first place. When the regulators say past performance is no guide to the future, they really mean it, it isn't. Did anyone bet on Leicester winning the Premiership again this season??

The best investment advice I ever took on board was that, however investment-savvy I think I may be, I am actually a muppet. However the biggest losers in the game are invariably the muppets who don't realise they're muppets.

If you can achieve risk-adjusted market returns, you'll be doing as well as you can. Anything above that is dumb luck and won't last.

If you can achieve risk-adjusted market returns, you'll be doing as well as you can. Anything above that is dumb luck and won't last.
Wholeheartedly agree.

Managed funds, on average, track the market: with fees they underperform by the cost of their fees.
Tracker funds, on average, track the market: with fees they underperform by the cost of their fees.
Fund managers, on average, make pots of money, your money.

Of course a small minority overperform
Sorry Dad, thought I'd added enough caveats, but my comment was in reply to a previous post on one of the overperforming funds just giving an alternative. And this is not the right place for any investment thoughts - so I won't say any more before we start a Brexit thread. ;)

Adding in fees will turn even a slight overperformance at gross level to a net underperformance at the level of the individual investor

I can though wholeheartedly concur with one of your statements. I moved from a market leading SIPP provider who take small percentage from you each month to a fee based SIPP provider (£20 per transaction and £20/quarter). The difference when you ask for an illustration is shocking. From no growth to negative growth with %age fees to growth close the illustrative future growth with a low cost provider. So anyone with a SIPP at one of the market leading providers should move asap, any gains are eaten into by the provider. If you want comparisons take a look at the tables published by the http://www.langcatfinancial.co.uk/.

The SIPP provider I was with before I switched would have taken nearly £15k from my pot this year while I probably spent about £150. I think Martin Lewis should be banging on about this more than about switching energy providers - the gains are much more for anyone with a SIPP.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Managed funds, on average, track the market: with fees they underperform by the cost of their fees.
Tracker funds, on average, track the market: with fees they underperform by the cost of their fees.
Classically the quote is "but where are the customers yachts"

Wholeheartedly agree.

Yes we need some alternative asset classes to invest in. Importing petrol engined Calis, anyone??

:mute I'll get my coat.

Thanks to recent changes, one is able to largely take control of their investments including SIPPs and share ISAs. If you are prepared to stick to shares and pick your own with a reasonable spread, then your risk and charges can be reduced. I have steered well clear of funds where the benefit is with the fund manager and the risk is yours. It's no easy task to get consistent growth. My method has been to invest long term with the dividends ploughed back in. Some shares have been a mistake in hindsight but overall an annual growth >5% tax free has been achieved. It can be a roller coaster at times so you need to be relaxed otherwise this is not for you.

Savings are another story and can hardly be considered as a real growth area in the current economic environment of decimated interest rates. :sad

The OP mentioned that the dealer had agreed to pay the initial VED cost so it would affect them for the following 5 years worth of renewals which is what the question was?[/QUOTE...

Been told today that our Beach is 'in production' and the dealer has the chassis number.... Positive news that would otherwise have excited us, but it may be too late..... We're still holding out hope that it lands before the first of April..... What do you think our chances are.....??

Been told today that our Beach is 'in production' and the dealer has the chassis number.... Positive news that would otherwise have excited us, but it may be too late..... We're still holding out hope that it lands before the first of April..... What do you think our chances are..... ??

What do you think our chances are..... ??
75% or better.

My understanding is that VW are doing all they can to ship high value vehicles to register before April Fools' Day. Your dealer must be prepared to pull out all the stops too.

Thought you might want a quick update on the saga of my non-matching seats. Well, compensation (aka a bike rack) was agreed fairly quickly with VW following a full & frank exchange of views between Mrs S & VW. However, somewhat strangely VW at first only sent the lower part of the seat!! Anyhow the dealer now has both parts & so we are looking forward to picking up Cali next Saturday. :cheers

Thought you might want a quick update on the saga of my non-matching seats. Well, compensation (aka a bike rack) was agreed fairly quickly with VW following a full & frank exchange of views between Mrs S & VW. However, somewhat strangely VW at first only sent the lower part of the seat!! Anyhow the dealer now has both parts & so we are looking forward to picking up Cali next Saturday. :cheers

Glad to hear it! I assume the collection went OK?

Which extras did you go for in the end? Pleased with your choices?!

Glad it's all sorted. Now for some adventures. :thumb

Glad to hear it! I assume the collection went OK?

Which extras did you go for in the end? Pleased with your choices?!

Hi, the extras/spec we went for were..

Indium Grey - looks lovely & goes really well with the interior colour;
204 bhp - well its no light weight so the extra horses are useful;
DSG - great box, better than my BMW auto & makes driving distances a breeze;
Cruise control - helps with the distances;
Light & vision pack - like the auto dimming mirror & auto lights;
Front & rear parking sensors - essential really (at least for me!);
Privacy glass - not that dark & so thinking of having it further darkened;
Larger screen stereo - like the visuals for parking & app contact;
App connect - really like this - wife thinks amazing!!;
MF Steering wheel - nice, but a bit pricey;
HD Anti-roll bars - good call, little roll but still quite pitchy;
Lowered springs - helps with roll;
Bike rack - freebie!! (better bike rack than the T5 version, though not at pretty)

We didn't bother with the awning option - I'm not sure we would use it much. That said maybe should have went for it just in case?

All in all would not change the options with the possible exception of the awning. However, the big problem is wife loves driving it so much I don't get a look in & instead have to drink lots of beer!!

Result! Beer in the fridge, a bed under the stars and a chauffeuse to drive you there. Nice.

Glad it's all sorted.

Hi, the extras/spec we went for were..

Indium Grey - looks lovely & goes really well with the interior colour;
204 bhp - well its no light weight so the extra horses are useful;
DSG - great box, better than my BMW auto & makes driving distances a breeze;
Cruise control - helps with the distances;
Light & vision pack - like the auto dimming mirror & auto lights;
Front & rear parking sensors - essential really (at least for me!);
Privacy glass - not that dark & so thinking of having it further darkened;
Larger screen stereo - like the visuals for parking & app contact;
App connect - really like this - wife thinks amazing!!;
MF Steering wheel - nice, but a bit pricey;
HD Anti-roll bars - good call, little roll but still quite pitchy;
Lowered springs - helps with roll;
Bike rack - freebie!! (better bike rack than the T5 version, though not at pretty)

We didn't bother with the awning option - I'm not sure we would use it much. That said maybe should have went for it just in case?

All in all would not change the options with the possible exception of the awning. However, the big problem is wife loves driving it so much I don't get a look in & instead have to drink lots of beer!!
Hi, do you have to pay extra for App Connect, is it a code from VW?. Great spec for your van

Hi, do you have to pay extra for App Connect, is it a code from VW?. Great spec for your van

App Connect was around £65 from memory. We use ours from our iPhones (via Car Play on the phone) to display apple maps onto the screen. However you can't then use your phone for anything else (e.g. while it is displaying the route). That's a bit annoying tbh.

Hi There. I regret not ordering App connect now. And want it for exactly that reason. Apple maps on the screen. Does anyone know if VW can sell us the code to activate it. Many thanks.

Hi There. I regret not ordering App connect now. And want it for exactly that reason. Apple maps on the screen. Does anyone know if VW can sell us the code to activate it. Many thanks.
I think that App Connect includes a data interface on the dashboard (a USB data socket), and cannot be simply added with a code.

I think that App Connect includes a data interface on the dashboard (a USB data socket), and cannot be simply added with a code.

Hi, the USB connector for the app connect is located within the passenger glove compartment - I did think that this usb port was standard. Actually as I had ordered the app connect I thought (incorrectly) that I would get an additional usb port. Hence sorry but not sure if app connect is simply a software upgrade or whether it includes any "hidden" hardware.

Hi, the USB connector for the app connect is located within the passenger glove compartment - I did think that this usb port was standard. Actually as I had ordered the app connect I thought (incorrectly) that I would get an additional usb port. Hence sorry but not sure if app connect is simply a software upgrade or whether it includes any "hidden" hardware.
I have the standard Beach dashboard - the USB data socket is in the front of the dashboard, not the glove compartment.

Thanks everyone. Yeah I have the USB port in the passenger glove compartment. And when I press apps on the screen it says. Ask your dealer for the code. I've asked them
And they've said it can't be retro fitted. ?? I'm still not sure that they're correct. Thanks.

Back