Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A California without any problems.

Ozzy Pete

Ozzy Pete

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Just wondering. Has anyone actually owned a California and not had any problems in the first few years. The forum pages seem to be full of vans with problems. Like the ticking timebomb roof. I’ve had a number of problems.Some done under warranty some I’ve had to fork out for myself. I know these are complicated vehicles but compared to the cars I’ve owned with much higher mileage I’ve had relatively few problems or even none in the first 4 or 5 years. It doesn’t appear VW has actually learned from past problems with the California and now the Grand California.

A welsh guy - Pete Roberts - once had a problem with
his awning splitting a bit in the hot sun whilst he was in Spain.

He did a temporary repair and then managed to get a new awning
from VW
Paid only a third of the price I think.

From what I've read, (and it is a little biased as I'm having control panel problems) the mechanical driving side of the Cali seems to be ok, it's the camping aspects where the issues lie.

Saying that I've read lots of posts on here from people who've had no issues at all, and I envy them !

From what I've read, (and it is a little biased as I'm having control panel problems) the mechanical driving side of the Cali seems to be ok, it's the camping aspects where the issues lie.

Saying that I've read lots of posts on here from people who've had no issues at all, and I envy them !

Dare I say the dreaded phrase.

180BHP…biturbo.

102,000 miles and 6 yrs 10 months old. EGR changed at 900 miles/2 weeks old due to electrical fault. Control Panel replaced at 1 yr due to press switch intermittently failing on selecting menu item.
180 biturbo. Original awning used frequently in high temperatures.

Oh WG, your a treasure.

But, if like me, as you well know, you had needed a new engine……

But your assistance to members on here, far outweighs your minor foibles.

Our 2014 SE, 65,000 miles had the high level brake light fall out a few times before being fixed by the VW new design, and at 6 years had to change the lock on the sliding door.

Other than that absolutely nothing needed fixing unless it was broken / messed up by the dealer.

For once only people who have issues post threads to talk about the problem. People with no issues don't post threads about faults as they don't have any., so the impression out of the forum about how many problems theses vehicles have may be incorrect...
Many of the issues are long being solved with newer models, but buyers of new vehicles still look at older threads and think the pop top is not really waterproof, it needs a bungee to close etc, which is not the case.
As of the mechanical aspects, I think a lot depends how they are driven, how often, how long each time, how hard.

Oh WG, your a treasure.

But, if like me, as you well know, you had needed a new engine……

But your assistance to members on here, far outweighs your minor foibles.
Aah, but I didn't purchase a 2010/2012 model .if I had I probably would have had an engine change within Warranty. :thumb

A welsh guy - Pete Roberts - once had a problem with
his awning splitting a bit in the hot sun whilst he was in Spain.

He did a temporary repair and then managed to get a new awning
from VW
Paid only a third of the price I think.
Oh my...you Germans have such good Loooooog memories.. 3 years and counting..

For once only people who have issues post threads to talk about the problem. People with no issues don't post threads about faults as they don't have any., so the impression out of the forum about how many problems theses vehicles have may be incorrect...
Many of the issues are long being solved with newer models, but buyers of new vehicles still look at older threads and think the pop top is not really waterproof, it needs a bungee to close etc, which is not the case.
As of the mechanical aspects, I think a lot depends how they are driven, how often, how long each time, how hard.
You can drive like a vicar on the way to church but still get problems. If you drive at 70 in top gear you are still only doing 2000 revs. And you would think your vehicle would last forever but alas it won’t. Over the past couple of years most people have not been doing the really long journeys that Diesels like. Can’t wait to get back to a few hundred miles a day as the norm.

I think our 2017, 70,000 mile Beach has been mainly trouble free considering the battering we have given it, including both beds being slept in for the equivalent of one full year (~365 nights over 4.5 years).

1. Broken seat belt clip caught in folding bed mechanism.
2. Broken sliding door handle caused by child swinging from it.
3. Rusty wire within door seals.
4. Broken spring in grab handle above front passenger door.
5. Broken safety net ceiling hook.
6. Leaky high brake light allowing water into tailgate cavity.
7. Stitching coming loose on tailgate picnic chair bag.
8. Lost bolts from picnic chairs.

Of those, 3, 4 and 6 appear to be design or build faults rather than our use and abuse of the van.

But considering the normal wear and tear we have at home I don’t think any of the above is entirely unreasonable.

You can drive like a vicar on the way to church but still get problems. If you drive at 70 in top gear you are still only doing 2000 revs. And you would think your vehicle would last forever but alas it won’t. Over the past couple of years most people have not been doing the really long journeys that Diesels like. Can’t wait to get back to a few hundred miles a day as the norm.
I certainly didn't suggest that.
On the opposite, once warm, it should be driven normally, including revving it up when needed, not a fuel saving drive. Avoiding short journeys and allow the engine to heat up properly will be beneficial for the whole engine not only the dpf

both my picnic chairs broke. fixed myself with 22mm copper pipe.
now got a groaning belt tensioner in the engine some where.hoping the cambelt and waterpump change will fix that later this month.
other than that 3 years in and nothing much else

I certainly didn't suggest that.
On the opposite, once warm, it should be driven normally, including revving it up when needed, not a fuel saving drive. Avoiding short journeys and allow the engine to heat up properly will be beneficial for the whole engine not only the dpf
My friend Lewis thinks he drives normally...

both my picnic chairs broke. fixed myself with 22mm copper pipe.
now got a groaning belt tensioner in the engine some where.hoping the cambelt and waterpump change will fix that later this month.
other than that 3 years in and nothing much else
Our VW chairs and table only come out on very special occasions. Just too expensive at £500 to leave out when you leave on a bike ride.. And to find them on EBay when you get back home.LOL..

Isn't that what Insurance is for if the chairs go walkies?

7 years and nearly 100,000 miles

Original owner had power steering pump fail, and leaking high level brake light replaced under warranty.

The old-style control panel button disintegrated out of warranty at 4 years. (The £500 button as our children call it (cost of new unit), although replaced by the panel kit for £35)

Tambour doors splitting. Still well held with Duct tape 3 years on.

I have just had to have a new clutch due to (integrated) slave cylinder failing and replaced DMF at the same time. £:eek:

Terrible Cascaval diamond-cut wheel worm. probably refurbish them soon.

Roof recall for tape seal around poptop. just need to book it in but no active signs, just the preventative work.

one snapped rear spring at 5 years/80,000

Corroded threaded alloy arms on bike rack with seized clamp knobs. replaced with a length of M8 stainless steel threaded bar.(a couple of pounds at Screwfix) and some M8 Lawnmower Handle knobs.

repair kit needed for camping chairs as some bolts worked loose.

Consumables otherwise.

Don't think that is too bad. (touch wood). opens cheque book......

"A CALIFORNIA WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS."​

No chance!

7 years and nearly 100,000 miles

Original owner had power steering pump fail, and leaking high level brake light replaced under warranty.

The old-style control panel button disintegrated out of warranty at 4 years. (The £500 button as our children call it (cost of new unit), although replaced by the panel kit for £35)

Tambour doors splitting. Still well held with Duct tape 3 years on.

I have just had to have a new clutch due to (integrated) slave cylinder failing and replaced DMF at the same time. £:eek:

Terrible Cascaval diamond-cut wheel worm. probably refurbish them soon.

Roof recall for tape seal around poptop. just need to book it in but no active signs, just the preventative work.

one snapped rear spring at 5 years/80,000

Corroded threaded alloy arms on bike rack with seized clamp knobs. replaced with a length of M8 stainless steel threaded bar.(a couple of pounds at Screwfix) and some M8 Lawnmower Handle knobs.

repair kit needed for camping chairs as some bolts worked loose.

Consumables otherwise.

Don't think that is too bad. (touch wood). opens cheque book......
If you have done 100k Miles then I would say not bad at all. You didn’t mention the awning..which seems to be on someone’s mind...Also doubt you are on the original brake discs..I tend to swap my cascaval wheels around just for summer use and use my originals in the winter

If you have done 100k Miles then I would say not bad at all. You didn’t mention the awning..which seems to be on someone’s mind...Also doubt you are on the original brake discs..I tend to swap my cascaval wheels around just for summer use and use my originals in the winter
I'd consider discs consumables. You could argue the same for the springs given the state of the roads.

Original awning still in 2 (attached) pieces, although I rarely wind it all the way out, normally just enough to shield the door from rain, and to walk to the pop up awning.

I already have 6 cascavels so might buy 2 more. Winter Wormed and Summer Shiny!

On my 2nd Cali, nothing worth stressing about has happened to mine. Anything that did happen was fixed under warranty.

I think most new cars have niggles right.

Back