a couple of things still baffling me

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
hi. beach owner now for 2 months and loving it. bring on that good weather.but what's going on with my stop start? I stop.engine stops.all good but every now and then it restarts for no reason. and I make a conscious effort not to touch anything and it still does it.also on my mfd multi function display I have a consumption mode. this wavers about all over from 0 to 200 mpg and never makes any sense. see pic. I can live with these issues as I love it so much but I do like to know everything is working ok. any thoughts?

20170526_170947.jpg

hi. beach owner now for 2 months and loving it. bring on that good weather.but what's going on with my stop start? I stop.engine stops.all good but every now and then it restarts for no reason. and I make a conscious effort not to touch anything and it still does it.also on my mfd multi function display I have a consumption mode. this wavers about all over from 0 to 200 mpg and never makes any sense. see pic. I can live with these issues as I love it so much but I do like to know everything is working ok. any thoughts?

View attachment 22221
Hi, that is actual consumption for that moment in time, probably coasting. if you scroll through you will get to average consumption.

View attachment 22221
1. Stop/Start has a number of factors that affect its function. Battery state,Engine - oil - water temperature, AirCon, Lights, Leisure Battery etc: if it stops as expected, as all those parameters are OK and the restarts, it is because one of those parameters has changed. E.g.: Stopped in traffic, Stop/Start engages. Radio on, cabin heater/AirCon on. After a while Engine Battery drops its Voltage because of use - Engine Restarts.

2. That is the MFD display of actual fuel consumption and will constantly vary.
Scroll up or down on MFD control buttons on Ignition On. A little 2 might show in top L of screen. Now the MPG is averaged over the next 20,000 miles or until you press and hold the OK button for a few seconds when it resets.

nah. not having that. the average consumption works fine. but that one that says consumption goes from 200 to 63 to 0 to 59 to 178 in about 1 minute so how can that make any sense whatsoever. it always does that.I know stop start varies. with air con on it doesn't stop for obvious reasons to run the condenser and stuff. it's the but when all is right. I pull up at a light. the engine stops. but then restarts for no reason. if the parameters aren't met why does it stop in the first place. I end up turning stop start off all the time because it makes no sense as to why it shuts down but then restarts after a couple of seconds

does yours do the same? just wearing out tour starter motor like mines doing ? and does your consumption read 200mpg all the time?not 201 or 199.always 200

nah. not having that. the average consumption works fine. but that one that says consumption goes from 200 to 63 to 0 to 59 to 178 in about 1 minute so how can that make any sense whatsoever. it always does that.I know stop start varies. with air con on it doesn't stop for obvious reasons to run the condenser and stuff. it's the but when all is right. I pull up at a light. the engine stops. but then restarts for no reason. if the parameters aren't met why does it stop in the first place. I end up turning stop start off all the time because it makes no sense as to why it shuts down but then restarts after a couple of seconds
On the T6 it does seem more erratic in function than on the T5. Are you relaxing the footbrake pressure unknowingly?

I thought about the foot brake. and even tried holding my breath. sometimes it works but 50 percent of the time it cracks back up again and I'm stumped as to the point of it

I thought about the foot brake. and even tried holding my breath. sometimes it works but 50 percent of the time it cracks back up again and I'm stumped as to the point of it
Love the thought of you holding your breath at every traffic light. :D .

More seriously, my Ocean's Stop Start is fairly erratic as well. It is incredibly sensitive to change of pressure on the foot brake. I have been putting unexplained starts down to that. And yes - my current mpg is all over the place as well. I never use it - just stick to the average.

Very strange again to read Start/stop is a pita ....you should think as it is common on many new cars now a days it should be flawless...
Oh it's a VW ...:D

Cheers dudes. stop start is off and consumption is ignored.

don't move a muscle is not in the manual

Hot weather, aircon needs the rad fan on and power to run it plus the aircon pump needs the engine to drive it.
turn aircon off and cook or have the engine running.

a bit of light hearted Aussi view of stop start.

but no one's getting it. the air con is not on when it happens. I'm not that dumb

if only I had a 200mpg van.I think I have to forget it

I wish people would stop posting that cobblers video, the guy is a cut-price Clarkson troll posting clickbait.

Stop / Start will occasionally restart if the engine needs "to do something" eg: fan, pump, aircon, battery, recirculating air, oil & water etc. Mine did it this afternoon whilst I was in Park, having forgotten to switch off, scared the bejesus out of me.

If the conditions are met for Stop / Start to operate then by definition it's also hot enough to benefit from intermittent cooling.

Last edited:
Cheers dudes. stop start is off and consumption is ignored.

There are three modes to choose from for the fuel consumption display:

1/ average since you last reset it / lifetime

2/ average for current trip since you set off

3/ snapshot of mpg "right now" (which goes up & down wildly every 3-seconds depending on what you're doing with the loud pedal)

Try clicking up & down with the buttons on the right stalk, I think you're maybe mixing up #3 with #2. I've unticked & turned off #3 in Settings as it's mostly useless IMO.

Last edited:
The brake pedal pressure makes a big difference to the stop start.

Charles

Unless you actually want Stop-Start in operation (in city multiple traffic light sequence for example) it's best to switch it off.
Not made easy by VW leaving the switch in the LHD position as far away as possible from RHD application.

Unless you actually want Stop-Start in operation (in city multiple traffic light sequence for example) it's best to switch it off.
Not made easy by VW leaving the switch in the LHD position as far away as possible from RHD application.
This is exactly what I mean about Emissions levels in the Real World and not the Laboratory.
It would seem that more people with T6's are finding Stop/Start problematic than those with the T5's . T4's excluded.:thumb

This is exactly what I mean about Emissions levels in the Real World and not the Laboratory.
It would seem that more people with T6's are finding Stop/Start problematic than those with the T5's . T4's excluded.:thumb
Stop/Start problems isn't confined to the T6. I previously had a BMW with it and it had instantaneous stop which was in the ridiculous timing category. Virtually impossible to approach a giveway point without it switching off.
Make far more sense if it was a switch on mode normally especially as it isn't a legal requirement as yet.

Stop/Start problems isn't confined to the T6. I previously had a BMW with it and it had instantaneous stop which was in the ridiculous timing category. Virtually impossible to approach a giveway point without it switching off.
Make far more sense if it was a switch on mode normally especially as it isn't a legal requirement as yet.
Well may not be a legal requirement in U.K., but I've seen plenty of signs, here in Sweden, especially in Gothenburg outlawing Idling in certain places, and these were Official signs, and VW is not a U.K. based Manufacturer.

Well may not be a legal requirement in U.K., but I've seen plenty of signs, here in Sweden, especially in Gothenburg outlawing Idling in certain places, and these were Official signs, and VW is not a U.K. based Manufacturer.
No idling Zones and Stop/start on vehicles aren't the same legal issue.

My point was that not ALL new cars have Stop/Start fitted therefore it should be at the discretion of the driver to have it switched on when required not switched off when not required as is now the case.
Personally for decades I've always switched of for delays but not for a mere 4 second delay.

In a few years when batteries and starter motors/gears wear out will we then get grid lock as vehicles fail to restart?

No idling Zones and Stop/start on vehicles aren't the same legal issue.

My point was that not ALL new cars have Stop/Start fitted therefore it should be at the discretion of the driver to have it switched on when required not switched off when not required as is now the case.
Personally for decades I've always switched of for delays but not for a mere 4 second delay.

In a few years when batteries and starter motors/gears wear out will we then get grid lock as vehicles fail to restart?

I agree completely about undue wear so that is why I always turn it off.
Its there as WG says to get the percieved emmisions down for the manufacturers benefit. That's why the dealers won't make it default to off and why some of us are still trying to find a way to do it.

I'm not a mechanic but I believe the condition and load on the battery is monitored which triggers the stop start. Depends on state of your battery, if you are only doing regular short journeys battery will not be fully charged therefore stop start will trigger more often. If the battery is in poor state this will also happen, I would get battery checked, know stop/start batteries can be tempremental. Daughter had hers changed and dealer told them that stop/start batteries are designed specifically for each individual vehicle depending on the electrical demands, either that or he was just trying to sell her a new battery! They cost twice as much as normal car battery.

My VW Caddy does it as well, that is if I forget to turn it off at the start of the journey.

Back