Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A Cry For Help.....Looks like I Have a Power Steering Failure

I have a 2014 4motion 180mDSG.... the auxiliary drive belt went suddenly at 21000 miles. I’d only had the vehicle back from SMG a few days after I’d had to take it in as the sliding door had fallen off in Italy... bottom bracket runner had failed (yet another story around that). When I picked the van up after that repair it actually smelt horrible like some dettol or jeyes fluid had been used... this smell persisted and I couldn’t find the origin then a few days later suddenly lost power steering etc etc. Van was then repatriated again to SMG.....when I picked the van up after that the smell had gone.
Did anyone else who had sudden failure notice a funny smell before?
Second question when was the advisory recall because I had absolutely no notification of it and my vehicle was probably in the dealership at the time of the recall whilst the falling off door was dealt with....

not only have they not identified what went wrong but it has just happened AGAIN
we managed to limp back to the campsite and will be recovered home tomorrow. back to smg on Monday.. ..

we are looking at rejecting the vehicle under Consumer Rights Act 2015.
Dear Tanya What a really horrid time you’ve had with this issue. It’s a pretty dangerous matter when this system fails- are you sorted now and did you get to the bottom of it.

Hi All,
Just collected my 2015 180 DSG 4-Motion from the dealer following a tensioner failure last week at 12000 miles and one day out of warranty!!!. Was repatriated home complete with car transporter in tow by Volkswagen Assist cover from whom was due to run out at midnight the day of the failure, it took 7 hours and occurred about an hour from home!!
I had noticed a burning smell at the time of the failure but put this down to the belt being trapped against the moving pulley, it was fairly well shredded.
To their credit the dealer did undertake the repair under the umbrella of the “Technical notification” which apparently was issued in June 2017, my van having been serviced in May and thus they were not aware at that time.... My question however is that I have often put my reg number into the VW website for recalls - every time it shows no recalls although when it was serviced the dealer recorded a high-level brake light change as part of a recall.
Hopefully I will not suffer the multiple failures of others - but will keep you posted.
David

Back