Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A few Questions...

B

Bungle009

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
HI,
Have had the Cali for a few weeks now and have a few questions.
1. We tried camping off grid, but couldn't charge our phones. Which sockets should be live without a hookup ? I assumed the leisure battery would charge the phones.
2. What is the deal with getting locked out of the van. I understand this is a common problem. What precautions do we need to take.
3. i dont think the water system has been used, and somone suggested we should flush it with some sort of antibacterial wash before using it. Is this right. If so what do i use and how do i do it ?
Thanks,
Mark.

Hi Bungle, all the 12V sockets rear of the B pillar are fed by the leisure battery and should work even when not on hook up, provided that is your leisure battery has charge. Ours is a Beach and so doesn’t have the controller. Yours sounds like you have an Ocean or SE so you can look on the controller display for battery charge. On our van the 12V socket on top of the dash is also fed from the leisure battery but we have the uncomfortable dash which differs from the dash in the ocean/SE. You’ll need cigar lighter converters to USB for phone charging. Not sure about the inverter fed 3 point socket outlet on the Ocean. Our beach doesn’t have that. Others can answer I’m sure! Driving should charge the leisure batteries as well as hook up obviously. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the sockets should charge the phone - the rear ones come off the leisure battery. ?? seems odd.
Ref locked out syndrome - if you unlock the van open the side door leave the key inside and then close the door again the van will lock itself - same with the rear door. Safest thing is always open the drivers door first and this wont / shouldnt happen. I keep a spare key secreted inside and a 'surfer' blank key secreted outside - in case / lost keys.
I would flush through the water as suggested, but we dont have running water - cheers

All 12v sockets will charge phones, but when camping use the sockets rear of the b pillar and you won’t run down the starter battery. That’s how ours is wired I’ve tested it with a voltmeter and that’s how I found out that the 12v on top of the dash is also strangely off the leisure battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 3 pin socket won't be live without hookup, the 12v sockets should charge your phones just fine and the inverter socket should work too but its more efficient to just use a usb charger in a 12v socket.

If required use Milton fluid (as directed) and fill the tank, run some through the tap, Leave for a day or so and run some more through the tap. Drain off.
Personally use fresh water to drink or make hot drinks and don't bother lugging a tank of water about. Don't wild camp.

I can only help/confuse with Q1.

Newbie at this having only hired a Cali upto now (fingers crossed for next year. Much like you I got a surprise when I was working in a remote location and had to plug in my laptop for power and nothing happened!! Oops.... 'Wheres the power and why is my laptop not charging?' ..

Turns out I had to buy this : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HCW969R/?tag=eliteelect-21

to plug into the 2 pronged socket on the b pillar behind the passenger seat. Its the only major dedicated socket (cant vouch for cigarette sockets mind - I didnt test them!) in the Ocean that runs directly from the leisure batteries.

I hope this helps and doesnt muddy things for you. :happy

Looks like you have a T6 Ocean, same as me. If so then the round cigarette socket in the glovebox is only live with the ignition on. This is supplied from the engine battery.

Upstairs, side of sink, side of bench seat and in the boot are live all the time and supplied by the leisure batteries. These are all 12v but with the right fitting can charge phones etc but not laptops. On the side of the sink is a UK plug socket which is only fed by a mains hookup. On the pillar behind passenger door (B pillar) next to the sink is a Euro socket that supplies 240v but low ampage. This is fed from the leisure batteries and is an inverter ie changes from 12 v to 240v. You need a diamond shaped adapter which you can get from the club shop. Charges laptops but you couldn’t run a fan heater for example.

When not in use don’t leave anything plugged into the inverter because it will draw a low current and eventually flatten the leisure batteries.

Hope his helps.

For tank cleaning you can use Milton but I use katadyn. Main thing is to flush the tank well and run a bit through the tap. We drink directly from the tank all of the time.

Needs draining in the winter though, including isolating the tap. Search for details but I followed the ones from Welsh Gas.

My laptop has the newer USB-C sockets. If you get a 12V adaptor with USB-C you can charge a laptop from it.

Does the water tank really need sterilising...?
Surely filling and emptying a couple of times with fresh water would be enough?

Does the water tank really need sterilising...?
Surely filling and emptying a couple of times with fresh water would be enough?
Nope. Keep the water turned over regularly and never problem. Residual Chlorine dioxide from the water supplier will cover you for a while . I drain and refill if its going to sit for more than two weeks.

Hello Bungle009, Previous Masters have answered your questions, I see you are in Hampshire, Im in the New Forest, If you are localist, and you have other question you want answered or shown, just PM me, Happy to help where I can, a neighbour brought a Cali last week and it didn't have any books to show him how anything worked, so he's been coming round every day with questions, really don't mind.

Nope. Keep the water turned over regularly and never problem. Residual Chlorine dioxide from the water supplier will cover you for a while . I drain and refill if its going to sit for more than two weeks.
If you have residual chlorine. We have spring water.

I should have said that I only sterilise at the end of winter. Otherwise as above.

I think that the main risk is a dirty hose. I run some water through and make sure that the outside of the hose that is going into the tank is clean.

All the sockets should charge the phone - the rear ones come off the leisure battery. ?? seems odd.
Ref locked out syndrome - if you unlock the van open the side door leave the key inside and then close the door again the van will lock itself - same with the rear door. Safest thing is always open the drivers door first and this wont / shouldnt happen. I keep a spare key secreted inside and a 'surfer' blank key secreted outside - in case / lost keys.
I would flush through the water as suggested, but we dont have running water - cheers
Califate I presume a surfer key only opens the doors, I have been thinking of having one cut, is it the sort of key any key cutting shop can provide.

Thanks.

Califate I presume a surfer key only opens the doors, I have been thinking of having one cut, is it the sort of key any key cutting shop can provide.

Thanks.
hi - yes its just a blank but shop around as the cost varies - i paid about £25.00 chrzn

Thanks.
Have a look at post 35.....

Thanks for all the replies. The USB issue is now sorted. I was being a numpty. The 12v socket i was using was plugged into the 240v socket that is only live on hookup.
By the way, if anyone has any towbar related questions, I run a small Towbar company based in Farnborough, and we would be happy to provide advice or guidance if anyone needs it. Please be assured I am not touting for business... If this is not appropriate i will delete the post. Just offering friendly advice with no strings to fellow California owners.

Thanks for all the replies. The USB issue is now sorted. I was being a numpty. The 12v socket i was using was plugged into the 240v socket that is only live on hookup.
By the way, if anyone has any towbar related questions, I run a small Towbar company based in Farnborough, and we would be happy to provide advice or guidance if anyone needs it. Please be assured I am not touting for business... If this is not appropriate i will delete the post. Just offering friendly advice with no strings to fellow California owners.
Hi bungle
Ive got two trailer tyres that both blew out on the m3, can you put tubes in too make them more reliable, im in camberley

Hi bungle
Ive got two trailer tyres that both blew out on the m3, can you put tubes in too make them more reliable, im in camberley
Hello Captain Kirk. We fit towbars & electrical kits. You need to try a tyre garage to answer your questions on tyres. Sorry I cant help.

Hi, can I ask, picked up my new Cali Sep this year and it has tow bar prep. Does this mean the wiring involved fitting a removable tow bar would be less invasive that if no prep had been done, as nervous about having one fitted.

Hi, can I ask, picked up my new Cali Sep this year and it has tow bar prep. Does this mean the wiring involved fitting a removable tow bar would be less invasive that if no prep had been done, as nervous about having one fitted.
Yes. The Prep wiring terminates in a Socket/plug around the back of the rear wardrobe/water tank.

If you have tow prep (1D7 on Config Sticker) it means that the OEM VW kit will plug in at the rear and you will also probably (not always) have a module connected under the drivers seat. However the VW kit (Which is Westfalia I think) is only available with a towbar from VW. Therefore you are stuck with paying VW big money. I was quoted nearly £1400 by my local dealer for a detachable. However I Dont have tow prep. I would expect as you have tow prep it would be cheaper, as the time required to fit the electrical kit is less with tow prep.
Tow prep will save the dealer with an OEM kit about 1hr on the installation time.
The aftermarket have several options. As VW will not make the connectors available, it is irrelevant if you have tow prep or not, unless you pay VW to do the Job. I would imagine this would be less than 1k from VW.
We generally fit a full loom, which runs back to front. On older models you have to pick up connections under the passenger seat, then run to the front to pick up a the live feed from the battery, then run through a gromet in the front bulkhead to access the BCM (Body Control Module) where the CAN connections are made. This takes about 1hr for an experienced fitter. It can be done by somone who is practical with electrics, but we regularly get asked to go and sort out issues where people have attempted and failed. Of course we only hear of the failures, and im sure there are plenty of people who succeed. Im sure there will be people on this forum that have managed the installation.
Once all the connections have been made you need to update the coding on the vehicle to tell it to look for the trailer module. This will activate the towing safety features that VW build into the T6 platform. Most notably this includes trailer stability control.