GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
031/17

Dorset, near Wimborne.

Large car park. flat, set well back from the road so minimal traffic noise, really friendly welcoming hosts and great food. There now. If choosing a red then the old vine "Rare vineyards" carignan is superb.

Hopefully the start of a great thread @GrannyJen.

I've just received my Britstop book in preparation for our first wedding anniversary weekend trip to Devon. My wife will love the gift. It is paper after all?? :D

I'll report back with a review of our Britstops!

011/2017

Somerset, near Minehead.

This was our first Britstop experience. It was a reasonable sized car park with five spots allocated for campers/MoHos which I reckon would be pretty busy during peak season. The car park is on quite a slope which if parked across, could be an uncomfortable sleep (if you’re in the downhill position); however, we managed to secure a spot that meant we could orientate the van nose down. Parking score: 2.5/5

The general feel to the pub was relaxed and cosy. We enjoyed sitting in front of the open fire for the rest of the evening planning our forthcoming weekend. The staff were very welcoming and friendly as were the locals, who all seemed to be VW camper ‘enthusiasts’ or had a connected story. Pub feel score: 4/5

Capture.JPG

Once parked up, we were able to sample some of the many cask ales they had on offer from both Devon and Cornwall: St Austell, Sharp’s and Otter brewery were represented. In addition they had more well-known lagers (Carling / Stella) and ciders on draught. Beer score: 4/5

The menu was varied and had a number of homemade options such as: curry, chilli, soups and pies. I had the curry and the OH had the chilli. Both were excellent and well presented. Food score: 4/5
Capture2.JPG

Having arrived in the dark, we had no sense of the location until morning light. As we raised the rear blinds we were not disappointed with the magnificent view along the North Devon and Cornish coast. It was a great spot! Location score: 4/5.

IMG_8843.JPG

Overall, it was an excellent first Britstop now we are excited about another option to our touring experience.

Overall Britstop experience score: 3.7/5

please let us into the secret, where is it?

@rod_vw, Britstop 011, Somerset near Minehead.

Sorry, that’s the best you’re going to get. I’m an advocate of schemes like Britstop and completely respect that they require investment (just like this forum) from people like us to grow and provide the information that gives us the freedom to tour. Sharing specific details would undermine that.

Buy the book, it is really worth it!

Become a VIP on this forum, it is really worth it!

031/17

Dorset, near Wimborne.

Large car park. flat, set well back from the road so minimal traffic noise, really friendly welcoming hosts and great food. There now. If choosing a red then the old vine "Rare vineyards" carignan is superb.

Britstops sounds so good I've ordered my book - but a question - do you get access to loos in the morning?

Britstops sounds so good I've ordered my book - but a question - do you get access to loos in the morning?

Generally speaking, no. Although if the pub has outside toilets that may be feasible (has been once or twice for us). The Portapotti or your otherwise preferred 'arrangements' are essential for this mode of travel.

The Britstops scheme is great in principle although in practice we've found the quality of Britstop locations rather variable. They're certainly not the 'best' (whatever that means) of British pubs etc nor do they claim to be.

We've found a better strategy to be finding what looks like a nice pub via Tripadvisor and Google Maps etc, then just phoning ahead and asking them if we can stay in their car park overnight if we're eating with them. So far we've never been refused - eg we stayed at a couple of lovely pubs in the Welsh borders this week.

When phoning we always make sure to say "small VW campervan", and "we'll be heading off first thing in the morning".

Not knocking Britstops, but I won't be bothering to buy the book again in future years.

Thanks Velma's Dad - useful information. I'd rather not get a portapotti just yet, so the key is planning ahead and checking with the destination. :thumb

Quite a few are pubs with bedrooms to let on B&B, so worth checking the pubs website if it has one and if it does B&B you'll probably have access to loos from around 7am

Thanks Velma's Dad - useful information. I'd rather not get a portapotti just yet, so the key is planning ahead and checking with the destination. :thumb

It will often mention in the book if Loo's are available.

The best way to think of Britstops is wild camping without the wild. Somewhere to get food and drink, water, an authorised space in a car park with the minimum of fuss and pre planning.

I always have the book in the van and often set off to go somewhere without having made any plans to stop for the night, just going to see how far I get at my own pace, and it's just a convenience to pull over, thumb through, find a nice recommended place and pull in.