A little review on our T6

Meoncoast

Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Sitting in a campsite near Blackpool I thought I would post a little review on our T6.

We replaced our 2012 Se with an Ocean at the end of 2016 - we replace a great camper van with another great camper van. We replace a T5 with a T6 only because we wanted a new van. I feel there is not a lot in either model.

We are heading back home after the best part of 3 weeks away and ownership of a California remains a great way of seeing the country.

Overview of a longer trip away in our Ocean over our SE.
I prefer the T6 bellows (I know many do not like amount of light coming into the van) but I think the new ones are more water proof and dry off quicker (never used a topper).
The replacement of the bendy light of the SE with roof and boot lights is a great upgrade.
150 over our 180 no issues with my driving style. DSG and coasting both support a nice drive.
Adblue just made a small detour to Penrith Halfords for a 10litre fill up (although should have had enough to get back to Hampshire) any better MPG is lost by the cost of adblue.
Further to an earlier post when I found the pull out front blind was creased.(our only found fault in 6000 miles) We have decided to stick using our external screen as I find the front blinds horrible and a pain to use having to move my dash camera and rear view mirror to pull them out.

what is under my roof seal - no idea if I have bubbles and am not viewing for a few years.

Seat covers I bought "Jackyard" seat covers which I moved from our T5 and the seats looked brand new even after 63k miles of my backside sitting on the seats.

The best new extra I have bought for the T6 is a pull on rear draw, saves the back on loading.

Stormy weather warning.
The bungee on the SE and the Ocean is only an aid to support safe roof lowering and observation by the users. We had such strong winds and rain on Tuesday at New England Bay Scotland in the morning the front bellows even with bungee on folded fully outwards and on raising roof a bit to pull it in, the rear bellows of the left hand side decided to fold out to match, at one point it seemed more roof was outside the van than in.:Nailbiting The most hair raising roof closure since 1st using a California back in 2012. But due to the fact watching and removing ones hand from the button quickly no damage resulted.

For anyone considering a camper van I wish we had done it years ago but I could not have afforded it before. For those who read negative things on forums and are put off - it is your loss.
upload_2017-5-17_17-9-7.png

I almost trade my 2012 SE (witch i am still very happy with) for a T6 but financial i needed a huge amount on top to end up with almost thesame verhicle....
Maybe next year...saving money;)

Thank you for that brilliant summary Andy and especially the last italicised paragraph . Can you enlarge on the rear drawer accessory?

I'm just back from a short 4 day stay with Albert.Totally brilliant. The Cali is just so competent at everything it does. No glitz, no glam, quite a bit of compromise, but totally dependable to deliver what it promises.

almost trade my 2012 SE (witch i am still very happy with) for a T6 but financial i needed a huge amount on top to end up with almost thesame verhicle....
Maybe next year...saving money;)

only you will know when the time is right for an upgrade. Being a daily drive & only "car" the time was right.(+now you can get 5 year warranty in UK) It worked for us.

only you will know when the time is right for an upgrade. Being a daily drive & only "car" the time was right.(+now you can get 5 year warranty in UK) It worked for us.

Fully agree , mine is not a daily drive (my electric bike is...8000km in litlle over two years) so my 2012 T5 SE can perfect cover some more years...

Out of stock. Someone in UK needs to engineer one of these. The 'how to' is explained in the photos.

We were chattiing with a Dutch couple we met in France a few weeks ago and they had one of these. Certainly makes it easier to get stuff in/out. The only downside for us would be the loss of height in the boot. The one they had lost about 4ins which is quite a bit of space over the whole boot area but this one looks a lot better.

https://shop.vwcamper.de/heckauszuege/264/calidrawer-ocean-heckauszug

Jenny not cheap but I find packing much more "planned" and better on the back!

I bought one and agree they are a fab addition. I can now make use of all the space under the rear. As you say packing is easy and I can hide my camera gear at the back so its not on show.

Expensive but moveable to the next one I presume. I was considering drilling to allow use of the rear 12v but not sure it's worth it.

..me..

We were chattiing with a Dutch couple we met in France a few weeks ago and they had one of these. Certainly makes it easier to get stuff in/out. The only downside for us would be the loss of height in the boot. The one they had lost about 4ins which is quite a bit of space over the whole boot area but this one looks a lot better.

Mine doesn't lose that much, I would guess less than an inch. I have some images of it loaded when I get a chance I will upload.

TEEL5970 - Copy.JPG

TEEL5971 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
pictures of our draw in use to follow wifi too slow

View of draw in use, like showing your dirty washing in public !

for me you can get all that stuff under the bed while away without getting having to unload the front stuff or move the bed and as you know the thing you want is always right at the back of the boot!

upload_2017-5-20_14-42-9.png

Last edited:
Anyone has another adress to buy the rear draw?

the link is a few posts back and now bellow this one

Thanks. Already saw this link. I was wondering about other companies offering the same (or different) rear pull out draw...

A little review on our t6 continued ---- 8000 miles now on the clock a few items have broken
  • Air con has stopped working (may never have worked and booked in for fix in August) re gassed and leak found and fixed but still leaking.from somewhere.
  • Inverter pushed in -self fixed following dvbbods 1st class post
  • rear cupboard came apart and replaced
1st class service continues from my local dealer (Breeze Totton near Southampton)

Pictures of one of our spots at Titchfield Haven it is nice turning up before the crowds and stay until the crowds have gone. Watching the tide come in and go out.

by the sea.jpgby the sea1.jpg by the sea2.jpg The van continues to be our
  • daily drive
  • beach hut on wheels
  • holiday cottage
love affair continues with campervan life

Last edited:
Been away around Newcastle Van now clicked over 10k on the clock Nice relaxed run down M1/A1 yesterday.

Some further thoughts on our T6
  • have added 30 litres Adblue (x3 10 litre bottles)
  • Colour prefer our t5 Candy White than Blackberry T6
All working well with both van and camping parts. Air Con fixed -compressor replaced

Back