Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A weekend in Betws y Coed

bigmac77

bigmac77

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
We have just had a family weekend in Betws y Coed, we stayed on the camping field at Cwmlanerch Campsite. The campsite is part of a working farm and is in a beautiful location just north of Betws along the B5106. The field itself was on a bit of a slope and mostly sloped in two directions making it difficult to get level even with ramps, we managed to find a small level bit of ground in the bottom corner right next to the fence. The grass is mown short but they don't pick up the clippings and after the first night we had grass everywhere it started to really do my head in.

To get to the toilet block you have to cross a small steam, there are stepping stones but on arrival our 5 year old fell off one of these stones and ended up soaked. Why not put a couple of railway sleepers across this stream. Facilities were basic and also full of grass especially the shower floors.

Most of the campers in the field were families and couples with a few groups of men in their 40's. These groups were very noisy on the Saturday night after retuning to the site around midnight, shouting and shining really bright torches across the field.

Overall I would not recommend the campsite to anyone.

Now for the good news, Betws-y-Coed and surround areas are stunning especially when the sun is shining. We had a walk around the village on Saturday (bought some news shoes for my youngest), had an ice cream and the kids went on the miniature steam railway. We had dinner at Ty Gwyn on Saturday evening and the next day had a walk and picnic at Llyn Crafnant above Treffiw, which was really nice.

Overall if you fancy a weekend in north Wales then I can recommend visiting Betws especially if you like walking but I we go again we would stay at the Morris Leisure site in the middle of the village rather than Cwmlanerch.

Think I went past there today en route to where, IIRC, you live, Point Lynas? (See pics on Bikers thread).

I don't really think you can beat your area for scenery (but maybe keep it quiet or you'll be flooded with tourists!)

That Morris site in B-y-C was upgraded a few years back; I preferred it when the previous owners had it as it was much much cheaper. The facilities were more basic then but adequate.

Not too far away from there is Trefriw; we used to stay there a lot at "Glyn's" campsite. It's a great little village with more than it's fair share of pubs and plenty of walking / cycling, both easy and energetic.

We paid £20 for a night at Cwmlanerch, the Morris Leisure park was £30, as I lay in bed listening to idiots shouting at each other at midnight I thought I'd have gladly paid an extra tenner for peace and quiet.