A weekend with our Beach and slidepod

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
We took delivery of the Slidepod some time ago but were yet to use it in the field (or a field). At the weekend we had a star gazing night booked at Carding Mill Valley and a camping weekend with some good friends. After a real camping weekend of use I thought I would share some experiences and thoughts as I know other beach owners will be interested.

Storage

We were really worried we would lose a lot of storage, but most of the pod with hindsight is storage. All of our kitchen equipment, any non chilled food, plus lots of extras were eaten by the cupboard in the pod. V was pretty excited about how much she managed to put inside and how organised it could be (I know, a weird thing to be excited about).

Water and Sink

The fresh water tank we opted to put behind the 3 seat bench, this did mean losing a little space in the cab but with hindsight we gained more hidden space to store things in between the pod and the seat. We kind of wondered why we didn't think of it even without a pod. It took us a while to realise we had water on tap but once we got used to it was great. The tap gave good pressure, I'm guessing the pumps have advanced since my t25 ;). The waste water tank is integrated into the pod but is smaller than than the fresh water,.
I was a little uncertain about the mechanism for the waste tank drain worked and whether it was off or on, I need to get in touch with Slidepods to confirm which is locked and which is open so I don't make a mistake. We also didn't wash up in the sink as the site had a good setup.

The cooker

Because we had planned to film for Campervan cookout, V had volunteered us to cook for 6 or 7. This was daunting, and we didnt think that two rings would be enough. To my surprise it was sufficient and we cooked more than enough for the 6 who ate and probably had enough chilli and rice to feed another 3 people left at the end. The pod has a double gas connector which I think may be the cadac setup, converting two small HP cans to LP. These worked well but I have no idea how long the gas will last. We found cans in our local place that were the same price as Cadac gas but twice the volume. They fitted fine and should last much longer. We are much preferring this to our 4.5kg gas bottle for our cadac. We may even get the HP converter for the cadac so we can carry one kind of can only for both setups.

The extras
We had the shower attachment, this provides cold water only but again gives surprisingly good pressure. The weekend was very muddy and we used it sunday to clean our boots. Certainly seems to kick out more pressure than the Cali SE factory shower for those who want to compare.

LED lighting, this is great in the dark, lights the floor under the pod and inside the cupboard, as well as the cutlery holder on the right side. The light bar across the back of the smev is incredibly bright. This is designed to work with the dark glass lids of the smev open so that enough light spills through the dark glass to be able to see cook etc. It works well. With the glass down the light is a bit too bright for me. I will probably get something to downlight on the tailgate inside. This was the only improvement I could think of on the pod, perhaps a separate switch for the top light and one for all the others for when you want to work with the counter down. Alternatively a small hood to go over the top to direct the light across the pod without shining up into your eyes could be an option too. As I say a very minor thing but I was trying to find balance in my thoughts.

Table addon

Works a charm and creates lovely extra space for spreading out. It does obviously reduce standing space at the front but we found we could still access the stove from the ends.

USBs and 12v.

Worked great, not much I can say really. We used a usb lamp from ikea at one point plugged in here and powered a usb bluetooth speaker from here too. This will also a handy place to plug in an awning light perhaps if we get a tailgate awning.

Weather

It rained on Saturday, a lot. This I know is the main thing people ask when they hear about the pod. What if the weather is bad? Well true this isn't going to be something you want to use in a blizzard or when very cold. However we discovered much to our surprise that you can cook in the rain and stay dry although be careful when you close the tailgate or you may get a surprise cold shower ;)
Perhaps the fact the cooker was outside meant we weren't trapsing mud and water into the van every time we wanted a coffee or tea. It was weirdly clean at the end of the weekend and our club carpet set was still looking very nice.

There were a couple of times I was cold perhaps late at night but hey it's early april in the UK. I will also admit on a cold Sunday morning I wasn't massively keen to go outside and make that first cup of tea. I just made one inside :)

Final thoughts.

I know these pods won't be for everyone, and they are suited to a certain kind of holidays, mostly fair weather. Summer and good weather use is something I am now really really looking forward to. Cooking outside is what we love and with the beach table and chairs as well as the spare table I can see us having some good times cooking here. That said the Cali tailgate means you can cook in the rain but if its chilly obviously it will let the cold air in.

It holds a lot of stuff and you don't lose as much storage as you would perhaps think as most of the pod is storage. At the end of the holiday we can remove the whole pod and leave kitchen essentials inside ready to go next time. The build quality looks superb and is very nicely finished.

The water tank behind the seat loses you a little cab space but you could put the tank on the rear shelf if you wanted to get that cab space back but we preferred the storage it created and didnt really notice the difference.

It didn't seem to affect my MPG noticeably, I got 42mpg on the drive home although that was mostly around 65-66mph due to traffic.

The final day was where we also saw a benefit, parked up at the national trust we saved ourselves a few quid by making our own coffee and bacon butties for our friends and I. I can see days out working well and it being a handy base to return to when kayaking or walking.

My good lady Vanessa absolutely loves it, she kept asking me why didn't I get one a year ago? She spent a ridiculous amount of time organising it and seemed to get a lot of joy from that. Each to their own ;)

We now want a tailgate awning of some kind and a roof box too just for storing all that outside stuff.

In a nutshell we love it and am glad we bought it. It's going to be a fun year!
Stretton 041.JPG

Stretton 045.JPG

Stretton 084.JPG

Last edited:
Wow @MattBW, what a great and serious review! You def made some thoughs about it and made a great write up! Thank you! I guess Slidepods got an "new" ambassodor! Thumbs up!

Yes I think you are right, its a big change in my attitude, to think I wasn't convinced by a rear pod to start with at all and didn't want one. It was an investment but Im happy I did.

When we get an awning we can try removing it from the van and using it like that.

I met a few land rover owners over the weekend who were very interested in the pod, I wonder if he can do them for landrovers too? ;)

Nice review. I am building a smaller one to keep the fridge on the side. How does the gas stove cope with wind from the side? Usually I have a crappy wind protector arround our stove if it is windy. Was anything like that included?
Do you have the fridge behind the front passenger seat?

Good point, it wasn't very windy at the weekend but included with the pod was a wind shield with soft sucker type feet, I think it is a Kampa model. Seemed good, folds very flat and fitted at the sid of the pod. Our friends used it for their cooker seemed to work fine but we didn't really need it this time.

Yeah my fridge is behind the passenger seat, fixed to the rail there. I had planned to do a full shoot at the weekend and some videos but it just rained too much sadly. Fully intend to do that in April though.

Top review Matt. If I didn't already have an Ocean I would have been swayed towards the Beach and slidepod. That is until you mentioned having to make the first tea of the day lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great to hear it's what you want, but as we do get changeable weather throughout the year, come on slidepods let's have the insidepod sometime soon!!!!

Great to hear it's what you want, but as we do get changeable weather throughout the year, come on slidepods let's have the insidepod sometime soon!!!!
Yeah I would still be tempted by an inslidepod too I think.

We took delivery of the Slidepod some time ago but were yet to use it in the field (or a field). At the weekend we had a star gazing night booked at Carding Mill Valley and a camping weekend with some good friends. After a real camping weekend of use I thought I would share some experiences and thoughts as I know other beach owners will be interested.

Storage

We were really worried we would lose a lot of storage, but most of the pod with hindsight is storage. All of our kitchen equipment, any non chilled food, plus lots of extras were eaten by the cupboard in the pod. V was pretty excited about how much she managed to put inside and how organised it could be (I know, a weird thing to be excited about).

Water and Sink

The fresh water tank we opted to put behind the 3 seat bench, this did mean losing a little space in the cab but with hindsight we gained more hidden space to store things in between the pod and the seat. We kind of wondered why we didn't think of it even without a pod. It took us a while to realise we had water on tap but once we got used to it was great. The tap gave good pressure, I'm guessing the pumps have advanced since my t25 ;). The waste water tank is integrated into the pod but is smaller than than the fresh water,.
I was a little uncertain about the mechanism for the waste tank drain worked and whether it was off or on, I need to get in touch with Slidepods to confirm which is locked and which is open so I don't make a mistake. We also didn't wash up in the sink as the site had a good setup.

The cooker

Because we had planned to film for Campervan cookout, V had volunteered us to cook for 6 or 7. This was daunting, and we didnt think that two rings would be enough. To my surprise it was sufficient and we cooked more than enough for the 6 who ate and probably had enough chilli and rice to feed another 3 people left at the end. The pod has a double gas connector which I think may be the cadac setup, converting two small HP cans to LP. These worked well but I have no idea how long the gas will last. We found cans in our local place that were the same price as Cadac gas but twice the volume. They fitted fine and should last much longer. We are much preferring this to our 4.5kg gas bottle for our cadac. We may even get the HP converter for the cadac so we can carry one kind of can only for both setups.

The extras
We had the shower attachment, this provides cold water only but again gives surprisingly good pressure. The weekend was very muddy and we used it sunday to clean our boots. Certainly seems to kick out more pressure than the Cali SE factory shower for those who want to compare.

LED lighting, this is great in the dark, lights the floor under the pod and inside the cupboard, as well as the cutlery holder on the right side. The light bar across the back of the smev is incredibly bright. This is designed to work with the dark glass lids of the smev open so that enough light spills through the dark glass to be able to see cook etc. It works well. With the glass down the light is a bit too bright for me. I will probably get something to downlight on the tailgate inside. This was the only improvement I could think of on the pod, perhaps a separate switch for the top light and one for all the others for when you want to work with the counter down. Alternatively a small hood to go over the top to direct the light across the pod without shining up into your eyes could be an option too. As I say a very minor thing but I was trying to find balance in my thoughts.

Table addon

Works a charm and creates lovely extra space for spreading out. It does obviously reduce standing space at the front but we found we could still access the stove from the ends.

USBs and 12v.

Worked great, not much I can say really. We used a usb lamp from ikea at one point plugged in here and powered a usb bluetooth speaker from here too. This will also a handy place to plug in an awning light perhaps if we get a tailgate awning.

Weather

It rained on Saturday, a lot. This I know is the main thing people ask when they hear about the pod. What if the weather is bad? Well true this isn't going to be something you want to use in a blizzard or when very cold. However we discovered much to our surprise that you can cook in the rain and stay dry although be careful when you close the tailgate or you may get a surprise cold shower ;)
Perhaps the fact the cooker was outside meant we weren't trapsing mud and water into the van every time we wanted a coffee or tea. It was weirdly clean at the end of the weekend and our club carpet set was still looking very nice.

There were a couple of times I was cold perhaps late at night but hey it's early april in the UK. I will also admit on a cold Sunday morning I wasn't massively keen to go outside and make that first cup of tea. I just made one inside :)

Final thoughts.

I know these pods won't be for everyone, and they are suited to a certain kind of holidays, mostly fair weather. Summer and good weather use is something I am now really really looking forward to. Cooking outside is what we love and with the beach table and chairs as well as the spare table I can see us having some good times cooking here. That said the Cali tailgate means you can cook in the rain but if its chilly obviously it will let the cold air in.

It holds a lot of stuff and you don't lose as much storage as you would perhaps think as most of the pod is storage. At the end of the holiday we can remove the whole pod and leave kitchen essentials inside ready to go next time. The build quality looks superb and is very nicely finished.

The water tank behind the seat loses you a little cab space but you could put the tank on the rear shelf if you wanted to get that cab space back but we preferred the storage it created and didnt really notice the difference.

It didn't seem to affect my MPG noticeably, I got 42mpg on the drive home although that was mostly around 65-66mph due to traffic.

The final day was where we also saw a benefit, parked up at the national trust we saved ourselves a few quid by making our own coffee and bacon butties for our friends and I. I can see days out working well and it being a handy base to return to when kayaking or walking.

My good lady Vanessa absolutely loves it, she kept asking me why didn't I get one a year ago? She spent a ridiculous amount of time organising it and seemed to get a lot of joy from that. Each to their own ;)

We now want a tailgate awning of some kind and a roof box too just for storing all that outside stuff.

In a nutshell we love it and am glad we bought it. It's going to be a fun year!
View attachment 20349

View attachment 20350

View attachment 20351
Hi Matt, nice review..we used our slidepods for the first time two weekends ago. And since having the van and the pod, it has been slept in 9 nights out of 16, and done nearly 3000 miles from Falmouth, round the north of England, the east, all over the place. The van has been brilliant, so has the slidepod, and I would add these comments to yours...

Cooking outside has been great, I think of it as a massive outside kitchen, where cooking smells and spitting fat make no difference. If it was inside I'd have had far less use. In fact, if it was inside as a fixed kitchen it would mean us compromising not only on how we cook but also how much space we have to sleep. So I've changed my mind and think that if I ever wanted an inside kitchen I'd have to have a bigger vehicle to go with it.

I've decided the van has two modes...daily, where we use the cooker for teas and coffees and use disposable cups, shocking I know, and take out the water tank to give us full room in the cab, and the water won't go stagnant for underuse. And holiday use, where we use the tank, and the with the seats ever so slightly forward we can stick in all the camping stuff in and awning as well.
The shower is brilliant, and with an Outwell collapsible washing bowl you hardly need to use the sink. In fact ours is storing our pots and pans, and I'm not sure we'll need to use it that often.

Ditto, the drainage, and Jonny and team were really helpful in explaining.

I wouldn't change anything with the slidepods, it is an amazing product, no wonder they are so busy.

Lastly, our ladies wear the same pyjama bottoms.

Neil

IMG_6386.JPG

IMG_6333.JPG

IMG_6332.JPG

I agree on the outside cooking, we love it too and I did think the same about smells and fat. If it was inside I'd probably just boil the kettle and not a lot else.

I will probably adopt the same modes, so I can make a coffee on the road.

I notice you have a rail both sides handy for the table. I opted for one.

Have to smile regarding the pjs, must be a Cali thing. :-D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I couldn't agree more (nor would I disagree in any way) with the excellent reviews by MattBW and Salty. We use our Slidepod in the same way as does Salty (though we don't use disposable cups!) and love it just as much and for the same reasons.

We also had an electric hook-up installed by Jonny at Slidepods which is an important addition to our van based on how we use it. Again, excellent craftsmanship and customer support.

I must buy my wife the PJs to ensure full membership of the Slidepod evangelists!

I really need one of these beauties for my beach. overtime please boss?

It's interesting reading how people prefer cooking outside.
I have built a couple of my own campervans, many years ago. Did the usual kitchen down one side layout.
We barely used the cooking facilities on those vans and had our Cobb Oven/BBQ packed for cooking outdoors.

You can't beat cooking under the awning on a warm summers evening. You know those rare times when it's not actually raining, amen for awnings;)

It's interesting reading how people prefer cooking outside.
I have built a couple of my own campervans, many years ago. Did the usual kitchen down one side layout.
We barely used the cooking facilities on those vans and had our Cobb Oven/BBQ packed for cooking outdoors.

You can't beat cooking under the awning on a warm summers evening. You know those rare times when it's not actually raining, amen for awnings;)
Yes seems bonkers me to cook properly in a spangly van with all its smell and mess, and to have a small bed, but then everyone's needs are different.

Yes seems bonkers me to cook properly in a spangly van with all its smell and mess, and to have a small bed, but then everyone's needs are different.

Yes agree.
Although, i guess it's more convenient when off the grid.
Each to their own:thumb

Thanks for the writeup. It's not for us, as a family of 5 that loves camping all year, but I agree that it can be the perfect thing for many beach owners.

I was just thinking about this type and size of pod, behind passenger and driver seat, that you slide out sideways through the sliding door.. The benefits of cooking outside (under the awning if you have one !), and keeping that precious trunk storage space we need so desperately for fridge, toilets, pairs of shoes for 5 persons, clothes etc. An idea for the inslidepod? Come on slidepods, we really need you to finish that! ;)

We are 5 too, need all the boot space, insidepod please :)

I promise that one day I will get round to devoting the time to the "InSlidepod" however as you all know we are absolutely flat out all the time at the moment. Also there are several very good (if not very similar) small internal camper pods on the market currently for around the £1200 / £1500 mark and to be honest if I cant design something significantly different then I wont just release a generic copy of another brand as we take a lot of pride in offering a unique camping solution. I would be happy to resurrect the try before you buy scheme on slidepods again if there is demand so that those who are unsure of the merits of our rear kitchen can take the opportunity to use one for a week or so without parting with the full purchase price. :thumb

935396f6b76d931a93c4ddf85308728d.jpg

I promise that one day I will get round to devoting the time to the "InSlidepod" however as you all know we are absolutely flat out all the time at the moment. Also there are several very good (if not very similar) small internal camper pods on the market currently for around the £1200 / £1500 mark and to be honest if I cant design something significantly different then I wont just release a generic copy of another brand as we take a lot of pride in offering a unique camping solution. I would be happy to resurrect the try before you buy scheme on slidepods again if there is demand so that those who are unsure of the merits of our rear kitchen can take the opportunity to use one for a week or so without parting with the full purchase price. :thumb
I'm not in the market for one as I have an Ocean, but what a refreshing businessman you sound - open to suggestions and comments from your customer base and offering a brilliant try before you buy scheme. Good luck to you!

I'm not in the market for one as I have an Ocean, but what a refreshing businessman you sound - open to suggestions and comments from your customer base and offering a brilliant try before you buy scheme. Good luck to you!

Thats lovely of you to say :). I never started Slidepods to make lodsa money just to be able to make a living doing something I love. Today I am lucky enough to have a team of great people who share my dream of delivering great service and designing great products who are passionate about campervans. What more can there be???;)

As I've said before your products are excellent and customer service feedback is very good. This is why I along with others who really do need a full boot ( normally those camping with 5) are still hanging on for a new pod from you. If it was not ever going to see the light of day then maxxcamp compact would be my choice, however as the slidepod looks to be the best on the market for design and is top quality I keep hanging on. Who knows it might end up in a T6 rather than my current T5!!

Back