Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A465 Heads of the Valleys - roadworks

Pete_Hampton

Pete_Hampton

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Does anyone have some local knowledge of the A465 Heads of the Valleys roadworks? I plan to use this route for our next tour.

Traffic Wales
is very informative and indicates when planned works and closures are due take place until. Some alerts say closures until 13th April, but others say until 19th. So not entirely clear, but a massive road building task I know so there maybe closures going on after the 19th maybe?

We will be going from Ross-on-Wye (M50/A40) then along the A465 towards The Gower on or after 22nd and want to take in this spectacular route so long as long delays don't spoil it.

Does the section near to Gilwern, where the current closures are, have a parallel diversion or should I be prepared to go around via Blaenavon then back to the A465 at Brynmawr?

Many thanks - diolch yn fawr

I was there over Easter on the Friday & the Monday and the bridge over the roundabout near Gilwern with the B4246 is still being completed. There seem to be occasional closures of certain roads whilst jobs take place, but mostly it is using a roundabout rather than a bridge to cross a junction.
Mostly the delays seem to be for the side roads.

Can't say how the Heads of Valley road works are at this time.

The route I enjoy which would avoid possible road works is take A40 to Brecon -continue to Sennybridge then turn South onto the A46067 cross the Brecons towards Swansea.

Many thanks to @SimonB that's reassuring and to @Meoncoast I shall check out that interesting route option.

Meanwhile, fingers crossed for a smooth run and some fine Welsh weather! :cool:

Best place to look for all potential roadworks is roadworks.org it will show current and planned road works on any road you choose in the UK. The data is from all highways, councils and utility companies so should be accurate.

https://roadworks.org/

You need to zoom in to see roadworks.

This Link shows (amongst others) the Gilwern roundabout webcam.

I would agree with Andy with regards to the A4067 and the route through the National Park. View attachment 32001

If you do route as above. I would recommend a lunch stop at The Ancient Briton Pub,it has a large car park and is dog friendly. My avatar pic is taken near there at Craig y Nos Castle.

@MattBW I have bookmarked that ..thanks

I would agree with Andy as well. If you can bring yourself to drive down the first bit of the Head of the Valleys Road, come off at Gilwern, the 2nd exit, and take the road to the A40 at Crickhowell. The route over the river is fabulous. Lovely old bridge over the River Usk & you avoid going through Abergavenny. Make the most of getting there and drive through the fabulous countryside with fantastic views. At the junction with the A479 & A40 there is an immaculate old wooden AA Box.

This Link shows (amongst others) the Gilwern roundabout webcam.

I would agree with Andy with regards to the A4067 and the route through the National Park. View attachment 32001

If you do route as above. I would recommend a lunch stop at The Ancient Briton Pub,it has a large car park and is dog friendly. My avatar pic is taken near there at Craig y Nos Castle.

@MattBW I have bookmarked that ..thanks
Great campsite at the caves
http://www.showcaves.co.uk/caravan_park.html

I would agree with Andy as well. If you can bring yourself to drive down the first bit of the Head of the Valleys Road...
Thanks @SimonB for this and everyone @Meoncoast @MattBW @Barbara @Alform for the suggestions and advice. I am confident that we should be able to find a good route from Ross to Gower in a couple of weeks time. We have a specific Brecon Beacons tour also on the cards for sometime later, so all these tips and ideas are most welcome, they are going into the mix.

Back