Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

About to buy a VW T5, what should I look for when inspecting?

J

joe77

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hello everyone,

Wife and I are about to buy a T5 Multivan (2010 year or later) with the sole purpose of using it as a sleeper. We love driving around Europe, but sleeping in our SUV or a tent isn't all that convenient. We won't be doing a full conversion as we don't need a kitchen or a lot of storage, just a comfortable place to spend the night.
I've looked at most alternatives (Transit, Traffic, Vito/Vario), but only the T5 really stood out for us. Vario was nice as well (we like the rails system in the cargo area), but we can get a lot more extras with an equally priced T5. Still, I'd love to hear any alternatives if we've missed something, I'm not set on any particular brand.
Anyway, we've narrowed it down to about 5 potential buys. I used to drive T4 at work, but that was 15 years ago and I'm sure things have changed with the T5. We plan on having the van inspected at a workshop before buying, but only our final choice.
When we go out to inspect them, what are the things that we should look for? Are there any common/known faults with the T5? Hidden rust areas? Any red flags?
Thank you for any info or suggestions

Its always a bit of a gamble - all the people i know with older T5s end up spending a bit to keep them going. I would avoid low mileage / low use - but also dont understand people spending £1000s converting knackered high mileage builders vans - its about the history and service record, and what sort of life it has had. There are many T5 forums with lots of info about known trouble spots

Some years vary so do engine problems early T5’s suffer from cracked manifolds so check for fumes in the cab as said above you can tell a lot about a van from the person that is selling I would also post the same question on the T5 Facebook group. Good luck

The cracked manifold problem wasn’t I believe carried over to the facelift vans which got the 2.0 engines. If you are looking at the 180 engine you need to read the oil consumption (leading to new engine) thread on here. Particularly given the era of the van you are considering.

Any van can have problems, a good service record and history can be useful.

Beware of Internet forums Lol

Hello everyone,

Wife and I are about to buy a T5 Multivan (2010 year or later) with the sole purpose of using it as a sleeper. We love driving around Europe, but sleeping in our SUV or a tent isn't all that convenient. We won't be doing a full conversion as we don't need a kitchen or a lot of storage, just a comfortable place to spend the night.
I've looked at most alternatives (Transit, Traffic, Vito/Vario), but only the T5 really stood out for us. Vario was nice as well (we like the rails system in the cargo area), but we can get a lot more extras with an equally priced T5. Still, I'd love to hear any alternatives if we've missed something, I'm not set on any particular brand.
Anyway, we've narrowed it down to about 5 potential buys. I used to drive T4 at work, but that was 15 years ago and I'm sure things have changed with the T5. We plan on having the van inspected at a workshop before buying, but only our final choice.https://192168ll.onl/https://xender.vip/ https://testmyspeed.onl/

When we go out to inspect them, what are the things that we should look for? Are there any common/known faults with the T5? Hidden rust areas? Any red flags?
my issue has been solved!

Hello everyone,

Anyway, we've narrowed it down to about 5 potential buys. I used to drive T4 at work, but that was 15 years ago and I'm sure things have changed with the T5. We plan on having the van inspected at a workshop before buying, but only our final choice.http://tradevenue.se/

Thank you my issue has been solved,...

Be careful with 2003 T5s. It's the first year T5 came out so they tend to have a lot of little faults that turn into bigger ones over time. My family used to own a 2003 T5 more than 10 years ago and the money you put into it trying to fix it is not worth it.

Welcome Joe
I'll keep my fingers crossed you find your Van! At some point I had the same ideas (buying a Multivan and confert it a little) in the end pricewise - and totally happy with it - ended up with a nice SE from 2005 (3 prev owners, perfect service history and well looked after) with 94k KM and 9years old.
At the moment everything is running however do have a spooky engine (sometimes runs with the "emergency-mode" - turn of and on again - everything is fine) and some minor parts to replace (sliding window or cover of kitchen).

Maybe a "older" Beach fits your needs?

Keep us posted!

Back