Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ABS fault??

S

satellite

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hello out there. I have just returned from a trip to Scotland. While we were up there a fault showed up on the dash with a flashing trye pressure warning along with abs and the esp light on. The blue motion has also stopped working, when pressed it came up with error. Does this mean it is a system fault? I have re-set to factory settings, but the warning lights all come back again soon after moving off. I did check all my tyre pressures several times and they were all ok . It,s a 2015 California.
Hoping someone can shed some light on this, TIA.

Most likely an ABS sensor. I had the same a while back. Easy DIY job if you‘re inclined. Tricky bit is working out which one, so you might need to plug into a diagnostic tool. My money would be on nearside front, it’s the one which collects all the road muck etc. On a T5 130 the sensors are the same front and rear for the nearside and offside. I therefore ordered one of each, changed both fronts and the fault cleared after pulling away. Had this not worked, I‘d have swapped them to the rear, if that makes sense!

Hello out there. I have just returned from a trip to Scotland. While we were up there a fault showed up on the dash with a flashing trye pressure warning along with abs and the esp light on. The blue motion has also stopped working, when pressed it came up with error. Does this mean it is a system fault? I have re-set to factory settings, but the warning lights all come back again soon after moving off. I did check all my tyre pressures several times and they were all ok . It,s a 2015 California.
Probably an ABS sensor as that is used for ABS, ESP and Tyre Pressures.
You have 2 options.
1. Take it to a VW Dealer or Independent.
2. Purchase a Carista OBD module and the software for your smartphone and carry out a Diagnostic to identify which sensor is faulty and replace yourself, not a difficult procedure.

Unlikely, but possible, the ABS Pump/module has failed.

It’s Definitely an ABS sensor. When they go the dashboard lights up like a cristmas tree. I would suggest buying a OBD2 reader. A carista is one of the best at around £25. Connects via Bluetooth to your phone or tablet. Easy to use and you can rest the faults after fitting the new sensor.
When mine went it was the nearside rear sensor, so it could be any of them.

Hi, just had exactly the same issue, for us it was on the start to our trip to scotland. suspected it was a failed ABS sensor, had it checked this week by an independent garage. (VASSTech). Rear ABS señor failed. Mine showed ABS, Traction control and Stop start in fault on dashboard. £160 to fix, bit of a hit but a lot less than a VW Garage.

Hi, just had exactly the same issue, for us it was on the start to our trip to scotland. suspected it was a failed ABS sensor, had it checked this week by an independent garage. (VASSTech). Rear ABS señor failed. Mine showed ABS, Traction control and Stop start in fault on dashboard. £160 to fix, bit of a hit but a lot less than a VW Garage.
I had all of the above plus tyre pressure loss. Funny thing is my vehicle doesn’t even have a tyre pressure monitor.
It cost me £18 for a sensor from my local motor factor. Plus half an hour to take the wheel off and fit the new sensor and wheel back on.

I bought my sensors (and OEM servicing parts) from these guys, always very helpful and excellent service. The OEM ABS sensors were circa £20 each.

You can pay a humongous price if your not careful, I’ve seen them at £80 each but basically they are all the same. Just a magnet and bit of plastic.

Hi,
I have just had a similar fault. Abs, anti skid and tyre pressure illuminated..
on a couple of occasions ignition on caused no error lights. my diag box came up with three faults on rear left sensor.
1/sensor either open or short circuit.
2/incorrect sensor fitted
3/electrical error

at the plug I have 10.5v
sensor showing a resistance of 18 ohms or so.

Can anyone tell me if the resistance is about right?

Not sure what the voltage drop I could expect on such a skinny wire.
I think I am looking at a wiring connection if that voltage is too low. Battery is 12.6v Is that connection behind the plastic inner wing (not yet removed) ?

Hi,
on a couple of occasions ignition on caused no error lights. my diag box came up with three faults on rear left sensor.
3/electrical error

at the plug I have 10.5v

I think I am looking at a wiring connection if that voltage is too low. Battery is 12.6v Is that connection behind the plastic inner wing (not yet removed) ?
Sorry, after rechecking; the resistance of sensor is popping all over the place so I think it may be a tad iffy, will order a replacement and see how things go.
Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can get the reliable replacement without being ripped off.
Thanks in advance

Hi,
3/electrical error

at the plug I have 10.5v

The sad frequent cause of stuff like this is a rodent has eaten through your wires in your wheel arch.
Happened to me. If seems likely, search rodent damage to find many threads. I think there’s a thread called ‘lit up like an Xmas tree’ that may also be similar.
Hopefully not.

Sorry, after rechecking; the resistance of sensor is popping all over the place so I think it may be a tad iffy, will order a replacement and see how things go.
Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can get the reliable replacement without being ripped off.
Thanks in advance
One source. Input you Cali details to double check as used my 204-4M

Hi,
3/electrical error

at the plug I have 10.5v

You might even find that the sensor is just dirty or has bits of metal from the brake disc. Just give it a good blow out if you have a compressor. I’ve just had to fit another on the opposite side to last time as the reading on the multi-meter was way out. Seems to be fine now.

One source. Input you Cali details to double check as used my 204-4M

Thanks BJG,
That seems a good site, I have found a Bosch and many other brands, it seems like a mine field out there. I have discovered prices from £9 to £90, it’s crazy!

could someone confirm the part number for me;
2016 ocean 204
I have found these numbers (I hope they are correct) for the nearside left rear sensor.

7H0927803 or
WHT003857 (this one is stamped on sensor I think, tiny numbers bit scratched)

Thank you too Lambeth Cali for suggestion but glad to say no rodent evidence ever experienced.

The 2 sensors used back and front are WHT 003856 and 003857 and paying £90 for a “Genuine “ VW sensor which is actually branded Ate which you can buy on EBay for less than £20.

The 2 sensors used back and front are WHT 003856 and 003857 and paying £90 for a “Genuine “ VW sensor which is actually branded Ate which you can buy on EBay for less than £20.
Wow!
Big thanks Ozzy, you have confirmed my discoveries too.
I spent a bit of time last night investigating these little buggers. I did discover the 3857 number on the suspect sensor, such small print, but it’s there. This I then tied it to the vw number, 7H0927803.
I then did my search and discovered some well under a tenner as well as the £90+.
I thought I won’t go too cheap, so splashed out and ordered a German made replacement at a total cost of £12.28p (I do splash out at times).
part should be with me early next week.

Thanks again Ozzy, your Information confirmed my suspicions and findings.

You might even find that the sensor is just dirty or has bits of metal from the brake disc. Just give it a good blow out if you have a compressor. I’ve just had to fit another on the opposite side to last time as the reading on the multi-meter was way out. Seems to be fine now.
Good advice this even happened to me on a different vehicle after a new sensor, brake pads and discs and a wheel bearing were fitted - rust / dirt must have fallen down from somewhere and was attracted to the magnet in the sensor - only a small spec but enough to cause a sensor fault

Thanks Ozzy, Satellite (op) and to all for information helping me.
I have now fixed my ‘Xmas tree’ status by replacing the sensor, literally two minute job once wheel removed.
As soon as I cleared the fault codes I was up and running.

I did fit an aftermarket direct replacement which does seem to be a lot better build than the manufacturers original part. The brand was ‘Febi Bilstein’ a German built part I believe. The cost delivered was £10.28p (not £12.28 as first thought) from a well known auction site.
I will attach a pic of the two parts side by side. The replacement is on the right showing the brass bush.
Once again thanks to all for help, info and suggestion….

76A0A01E-AA59-491B-B3E3-8C003BA8D6B9.jpeg

My ABS warning light came on. Also had the same messages about stop/start and tyre pressure. Had it checked at VW van centre who diagnosed a faulty sensor, said it was ok to drive but they didn’t have a sensor in stock. Next time I went to the van centre for an MOT I also pre-booked for a new sensor to be fitted. Jobs were done and I drove home. The very next time I got in the van, turned on the ignition and the same warning lights came on again. Now have to go back for them to look at it and decide if a misdiagnosis or a faulty sensor fitted. How many sensors are there?

My ABS warning light came on. Also had the same messages about stop/start and tyre pressure. Had it checked at VW van centre who diagnosed a faulty sensor, said it was ok to drive but they didn’t have a sensor in stock. Next time I went to the van centre for an MOT I also pre-booked for a new sensor to be fitted. Jobs were done and I drove home. The very next time I got in the van, turned on the ignition and the same warning lights came on again. Now have to go back for them to look at it and decide if a misdiagnosis or a faulty sensor fitted. How many sensors are there?
One on each wheel.

We have two sensors replaced with the same ABS warning. Each sensor on a different wheel. Fortunately replaced each time under warranty.

There are 4 sensors, one for each wheel. Maybe they need to do a new diagnosis to see if it’s another sensor.
This can turn out quite expensive if they charge for the diagnosis each time. It may be well worth investing in a Carista. For around £25 it pays for itself the first time you use it.

There are 4 sensors, one for each wheel. Maybe they need to do a new diagnosis to see if it’s another sensor.
This can turn out quite expensive if they charge for the diagnosis each time. It may be well worth investing in a Carista. For around £25 it pays for itself the first time you use it.
Although I use a different type of diag box I can only agree. My £70 investment has saved me and friends a many pounds along the way.
Going back to the sensor issue which I too recently had to replace, the faulty removed sensor I have since discovered had a poor encapsulation and it looks as if moisture may have entered through a small pin hole.

good luck and I hope you soon resolve.

I have now replace all 4 brake sensors on my van in just over 8 years and 28k miles.
None of the replacement sensors have failed, the first replaced about 4 years ago then 5 years, 7 years and the 4th today.
Either VW need to find a more reliable manufacturer or have I been very very unlucky.
In the great scheme of things it’s not a big deal and if bought off EBay they are only a few quid compared with VW at £90 each plus fitting.
if you can change a wheel then you should be able to replace a wheel sensor.
The only thing after a few years the screw can get quite corroded and a bit of WD 40 and a tap with a hammer works wonders.

I have now replace all 4 brake sensors on my van in just over 8 years and 28k miles.
None of the replacement sensors have failed, the first replaced about 4 years ago then 5 years, 7 years and the 4th today.
Either VW need to find a more reliable manufacturer or have I been very very unlucky.
In the great scheme of things it’s not a big deal and if bought off EBay they are only a few quid compared with VW at £90 each plus fitting.
if you can change a wheel then you should be able to replace a wheel sensor.
The only thing after a few years the screw can get quite corroded and a bit of WD 40 and a tap with a hammer works wonders.
Glad you’re all sorted Ozzy Pete. Going back to earlier posts on this thread and to again confirm the VW sensors are real sh*te quality, the after market ones are a lot better build(post 18) at a cost of a tenner. I have up to know only had to replace one but I think a couple of spares will be in the cupboard in readiness.
For the sake of 5 extra minutes the next time I do the pads I will get rid of all remaining vw iffy sensors.

Back