Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ACC, lane change, traffic sign recog camera issues, & SOS errors after windscreen replacement

M

MickyBlue

VIP Member
I posted this over on T6 forum but maybe there are more Calis owners with this additional camera fitted to the windscreen & can help me. Long time since I posted over here as sold the Cali many years ago & now in a T6.1 bespoke conversion.

Anyway I’m looking to speed up a warranty issue as local main dealer do not see many vans with this option.

Basically the windscreen was replaced by Autoglass/Ins with OE VW screen. They can’t calibrate this system properly & neither can JCT600 VW CV.

VW tech UK have said check another van/velle with the system to see if the camera is mounted correctly.

JCT600 say that it’s a very rare option & they haven’t seen any in ages & I’m fed up of seeing the dash errors it generates every time I turn the ignition on.

If anyone has these safety options with the camera mounted behind the screen above the usual one for the auto-wipers/headlights please could you compare it to the photo below & post a picture of your camera fitment in relation to the red line shown please (this is the top edge of the heater panel in the shroud that acts as a demister specifically for this camera).

Having read around I’m wondering if it’s related to the SOS system board problems that seem widespread on MY20’ vans, or whether the factory fitted camera bracket on the VW OE windscreen has been incorrectly bonded as JCT600 suggest.

TIA
Mike

A2649A5F-C410-46D0-BFA6-EA689113B85D.jpeg

I posted this over on T6 forum but maybe there are more Calis owners with this additional camera fitted to the windscreen & can help me. Long time since I posted over here as sold the Cali many years ago & now in a T6.1 bespoke conversion.

Anyway I’m looking to speed up a warranty issue as local main dealer do not see many vans with this option.

Basically the windscreen was replaced by Autoglass/Ins with OE VW screen. They can’t calibrate this system properly & neither can JCT600 VW CV.

VW tech UK have said check another van/velle with the system to see if the camera is mounted correctly.

JCT600 say that it’s a very rare option & they haven’t seen any in ages & I’m fed up of seeing the dash errors it generates every time I turn the ignition on.

If anyone has these safety options with the camera mounted behind the screen above the usual one for the auto-wipers/headlights please could you compare it to the photo below & post a picture of your camera fitment in relation to the red line shown please (this is the top edge of the heater panel in the shroud that acts as a demister specifically for this camera).

Having read around I’m wondering if it’s related to the SOS system board problems that seem widespread on MY20’ vans, or whether the factory fitted camera bracket on the VW OE windscreen has been incorrectly bonded as JCT600 suggest.

TIA
Mike

View attachment 83739
Cannot help directly but have you contacted VW Customer Service for a Dealership that can sort/calibrate the system?

Cannot help directly but have you contacted VW Customer Service for a Dealership that can sort/calibrate the system?
@WelshGas
Therin is the issue.
JCT600 CV & Autoglass both tried both statically & dynamically with no joy.

JCT600 referred it to VW UK tech who direct linked to the van & it’s saying the camera is pointing at the ground vertically down.

They want JCT to look at other vans with camera fitted to check if it’s mis -aligned (as the camera mount is factory bonded to the glass & can’t be moved).

If it’s mis-aligned then another windscreen needs to go in.
Or if it’s a spin off from SOS system errors which the tech said my van is showing on the diagnostics then they have to look deeper into that & ECU/BCU electronics etc

Probably of no use at all but this is what ours looks like- the only spec difference is we don’t have the traffic sign recognition. 0F604741-D343-40F8-AE1E-3A9A1C7FD22F.jpeg

TIA
Mike

View attachment 83739
I wonder if it’s possible to fit it upside down as they say it’s pointing at the ground.

Have a look at the above link - its not for the cali but its the standard vw camera, just the one covers lane assist, headlight assist & traffic signs. - I can't see how the camera could be fitted in any position other than the right way round.

TIA
Mike

View attachment 83739
Edit: The info below isn’t valid for T6.1

The upper camera is most likely for the emergency brake assist (AEB) and this sensor will clip onto a pre-bonded bracket. The rain/light sensor will also clip directly to a windscreen bracket.

I think the lower camera which does the Auto High beam and probably the traffic sign etc is hung off the rear view mirror, I would pop off the trim covers around the rear view mirror and make sure it a correctly seated. Because the rear view mirrors have to break away if hit by someone’s head in a crash, the mounting tends to be some sprung type thing and it might be it isn’t snapped home properly, some of them actually rotate on, so I would make sure it looks equally flush around the mounting.

A

Last edited:
The upper camera is most likely for the emergency brake assist (AEB) and this sensor will clip onto a pre-bonded bracket. The rain/light sensor will also clip directly to a windscreen bracket.

I think the lower camera which does the Auto High beam and probably the traffic sign etc is hung off the rear view mirror,
The top camera is a combined AHB, Lane assist & traffic sign camera.
My van has AEB & no top camera.
There are no cameras etc on the T6.1 mirror itself or hanging down, they are the blue dots on the back of the mirror mount as in the photos above.

Loz is that new for T6.1?

Have a look at the above link - its not for the cali but its the standard vw camera, just the one covers lane assist, headlight assist & traffic signs. - I can't see how the camera could be fitted in any position other than the right way round.
@andyinluton Thanks for the link. I’ve had a look but unfortunately there isn’t a decent photo of the cameras from the front showing what the dealer is trying to compare.

As stated by others I think it would be impossible to refit the camera upside down, but I believe the dealer checked this anyway amongst loads of other things.

Back