Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Accessing grey water tank

vang

vang

Hi, does anyone know how to access the grey water tank in a 1992 T4 california or have a plumbing diagram? My drain was draining very slowly and after pouring some drain cleaner down it has totally blocked up. Using a plunger I just feel resistance and the water does not move at all. I see that the drain cleaner I purchased reacts and creates a lot of heat so I think a pipe or something has melted. I think I'm going to have to take it apart, but have no idea how to access the tank or how it's plumbed.

Good luck with that. Kitchen units out !! Pretty much the first thing they fit when building the van.

I have the VW workshop manual so I’ll have a look later.

You could try removing the drain valve and pushing a rod back up to see if there is blockage.

Personally I never leave any waste water in there.

I don't think you have a grey water tank, just a pipe from the sink to a drain valve under the van. Take a look at the end of this video...

This may help ...
sketch-1613727911819.jpg

Hi, does anyone know how to access the grey water tank in a 1992 T4 california or have a plumbing diagram? My drain was draining very slowly and after pouring some drain cleaner down it has totally blocked up. Using a plunger I just feel resistance and the water does not move at all. I see that the drain cleaner I purchased reacts and creates a lot of heat so I think a pipe or something has melted. I think I'm going to have to take it apart, but have no idea how to access the tank or how it's plumbed.

So the grey water tank is slow to drain? Or the sink? If it’s the tank the chances are it’s simply got a blockage in the drain valve. Easiest thing to do is open the drain valve, connect a garden hose and push water back into the tank. This should unblock the valve but you’ll need to put something in the tank to break down any of the contents that may cause blockages in the future.

6439895f535fcbfdf98e1b0bfc8cef54.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the diagram. The sink was slow to drain and the the tank as well. I was able to plunge it to get the water to drain from the sink before I poured the drain cleaner granules that generated a lot of heat when it contacted water. The pipes from the sink to the tank are all unblocked. I just don't understand why the plunger now just doesn't push any water out of the overflow outlet. From the look of the tank I just don't see how even if the drain cleaner melted something inside how it could block both the overflow and regular drainage. I'll dry the hose up the outlet trick. Thanks!

After a day the tank just suddenly unclogged itself. It doesn't seem like a full tank worth of liquid though.

After a day the tank just suddenly unclogged itself. It doesn't seem like a full tank worth of liquid though.

Good news. The waste tank can hold around 18 litres. Which might be why you’ve never been able to get it to come out of the overflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason I never leave any water in there is because it starts to pong very quickly plus if you have the drivers window open at all the low pressure inside the van pulls the odour up out of the tank.

Back