Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Accessories.

M

Moots

Well I've finally put a deposit down on a California. Obviously my thoughts are now turning towards accessories (gets expensive doesn't it). I'm sure you've all been there, and would be greatfull for some advice. Im wondering how waterproof the elevating roof fabric is? I notice that the comfortz leisure roof cover is quite popular. It doesn't seem very breathable to me though, so I'm wondering if any one has experience using one, and do you get a condensation build up when doing so? I know the Brandrup one is more expensive, but it should be breathable as its gore tex. Also I would like to buy some thermal screen covers. Again I notice that the comfortz leisure externally fitted ones seem popular. Why is this? Why go for those ones over the Brandrup ones that fit internally? In my little brain I would be inclined to think that you would get better insulation from an internally fitted one. Lastly (for now at least), has anyone got any advice on waterproof seat covers? The VW ones seem quite expensive. Are they worth it?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Hi - I think you'll find it is waterproof and needs nothing doing to it. In a real, horizontal-type downpour the covers would help quite a lot, but I think they are used mainly for insulation so that you can more comfortably camp year-round.

I've considered one for insulation, but haven't got round to it yet

Cheers
Ian

Big discussion on Roof covers while at the France meet.

The theory was that:

- The "Tent" material is fine in all conditions, and if it is really bad then the water only comes in if you are touching it (like a normal tent)

- The cover will make it warmer in the winter

- The cover is a faff to put on, and the law of sod states that the night that you couldn't be bothered to put it on is the night of the monsoon.

The general consensus was that lots are sold buy you don't often see them on!

I haven't bothered :)

I have bothered with a Comfortz topper for the downstairs bed- and that is brilliant :)

We put one on if it is really cold and if there is a strong likelihood that it'll be wet and there is a strong likelhood that we'll have to park it up at home wet.. they definitely make winter camping more comfortable.

teeboy said:
The general consensus was that lots are sold buy you don't often see them on!

There you go... It's me going against consensus again. ;)

From my perspective has to be the single most useful accessory I've bought. And that's with three campers currently, the Cali for over 4 years.

We bought the original (& in my opinion best) Mutze from CaliforniaCamping in Germany (Ulli... Top bloke) 4 years ago and wouldn't be without it. (It is a breathable fabric)

Take less than 5 minutes to put on and less than 2 to take off... but I guess we have had a lot of practice (over 200 nights I guess)

All weathers, all year, all temperatures... Although the lowest is only around -11.

Only one night since we've had it that we haven't put it on and that was last week on a flying stop on the way back through France for the ferry.

Totally agree, the cali roof bellows are exactly like a high quality cotton tent. The material weave tightens up after it's first wetting and actually becomes more water resistant. Rain shouldn't come through unless it's touched or you lean up against it in your sleep... which my daughter did on our first run to Seahouses in gale force winds and torrential rain. She got VERY wet as did the mattress.

That's not the real issue though, it's getting the bellows wet and having to put them away wet on the mattress and open them up again to dry when you can. Now for me, that's more trouble than putting the Mutze on.

With a cover, this is never an issue.

It's not necessary, the bellows are designed to be enough... but we wouldn't be without it.

Rgds
Mark

I had a mutze cap but found it flapped in the wind and the front.I sold it once I saw the calitopper
As this has elastic all the way round stopping it flapping I only use it in the winter though
You will find your garage full of stuff you buy and never use. I have levelling blocks that stay at home windbreaks the list goes on and on A thumbs up for the Inka waterproof seat covers
The dog would have trashed the seats had I not had them :thumb

sd5000 said:
by Victor »
A thumbs up for the Inka waterproof seat covers The dog would have trashed the seats had I not had them

We only bought the Inka seat covers a month ago but they have been the best accessory to date (if you dont have leather). Lots spilt and no lasting damage :thumb They are the same as the VW ones, they fit well, and with the VIP discount only £75.

I don't know how they can make these seat covers for £75 there looks like alot of work
Involved in making them. As said brilliant accessorie :thumb

Zonesleep will be in use tonight at Busfest for the first time. Will report back in morning.

Our order of big accessories:

Memory Foam - Downstairs - Got
Inka - Seat Covers - Got
Towbar and Electrics - Coming Soon
Awning of some sort (drive away or sides for cali awning) - Next Year
Roof Cozy - if we get wet at some point :)

Victor said:
A thumbs up for the Inka waterproof seat covers
The dog would have trashed the seats had I not had them :thumb

The Inka covers are excellent... Wish I could get a set for the T4 Multivan...

:)

Thanks a lot for your replies. Putting the roof down wet sounds like a bit of an issue actually. That's reason alone for me to get a roof cover. Probably go for the Cali topper. Thanks again.

Anyone have any idea on the new amarok truckman top? it's got the part number ZGB2H20712T2T... techs having issues fitting it because the wiring loom is really short....

@Mods - spam

Back