Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Accident - Broken Wing mirror

B

Bepto

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Driving along this morning on my own side of the road and there's a small truck coming the other way, I'm doing about 42 in a 50mph zone. At the last second it seemed, he veered into the middle of the road and there was an almighty bang.

My mirror had shattered In the impact, I immediately slowed and could see the truck disappear around a corner further down the road. I pulled over - the driver behind me stopped too. He had a dash cam but it wasn't plugged in (Doh) but he said he saw the whole thing and gave me his details.

It took me a good few minutes before I could turn around, my thought was to chase him down although not much chance I reckoned. About 200 yards down the road I spotted a guy in Hi-Vis walking towards me on the other side of the road, just after this there was a side road % I could see the truck parked there less its mirror.

I peeped the guy and he came over, he apologised stating he was too far over to my side. whilst he walked back towards the scene to retrieve his mirror I phoned the company he worked for, there was no-one who could deal with it there & I was promised a call back. That was around 30 mins ago - I came straight home.

Not sure what to do now particularly re the mirror - is it legal to drive without? do I get someone to come out to me to repair?
How much will it cost? - I'm with Comfort btw.
20190731_110600.jpg20190731_114406.jpg

I had a to have a new mirror in Spain cost around 250 Euro but labour cost is cheaper there. Problem is that the radio aerial is in the mirror so labour costs in UK may be high. When discussed with a neighbour who works in a garage cost in UK around £400. Mine was not as bad as was able to reuse the colour matched back.

I was able to drive with it taped back on for a while. see

Last edited:
EEK, didn't think it would be that much - also just having inspected further, looks like the mirror has marked the door where it was hanging as I drove home. Will this need spraying?
20190731_131716.jpg

drive around to the HQ of the owners of the truck and demand they pay for it! The longer you leave it the harder it will be to sort

and don't drive with your mirror smacking your paintwork!!. They dismantle pretty easily.

and don't drive with your mirror smacking your paintwork!!.
To protect the paintwork from further damage I'd suggest putting strips of masking tape or gorilla tape along the door where it's rubbing until you can get it booked in for replacement.

If the contractor has already admitted liability then it should be a relatively easy thing to sort. i.e. get it done and present them with the invoice. It'll be a lot easier than going through the additonal cost and hassle of insurance.

Good luck. I hope it's not too much hassle.

Ive taped a carrier bag around the dangly bits (oooer mrs) to prevent any further damage. Looking online it appears that it is illegal to drive without the Driver side wing mirror, up to 2.5k fine & 3 points.

Just been on the phone with JCT 600 & cost is £452.83 inc VAT & can't get me in until Tues 6th August - still waiting for Marshalls Scunthorpe to get back to me.

This is the only photo I have of mine taped not sure if it helps to show how to tape it back to van although it looks like you may have to do some reassembly too. The paint damage may just polish out. I have a dent in the door panel where the mirror hit it but does not look too bad and I plan to keep the van a long time.mirror.jpg

Been looking for a replacement on ebay but no joy, can only find passenger side, Once its finished chucking it down I will take a close look, looks easier to replace the whole unit than faff about with parts.

Its a black mirror not gloss so no painting involved. maybe better off getting this? https://travelinlite-transporters.c...genuine-mirrors-switch?variant=18591501025342 as I did want power fold originally, its the one option mine didn't have.

A nearside one painted just cost me £520 fitted...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive taped a carrier bag around the dangly bits (oooer mrs) to prevent any further damage. Looking online it appears that it is illegal to drive without the Driver side wing mirror, up to 2.5k fine & 3 points.

Just been on the phone with JCT 600 & cost is £452.83 inc VAT & can't get me in until Tues 6th August - still waiting for Marshalls Scunthorpe to get back to me.
Your witness is crucial, many an accident such as this is just made "knock for knock" by the insurers and the sloppy driver is absolved of responsibility or worse you get the blame.

I had a very close contact once. The road was narrowing, and as I was slowing down for choker, a car and a bigger working van passed me in the other direction. The car passed without problem, but the van didn't go far enough to the right side of the road (mainland, remember). It was mirror against mirror, and with a quite loud bang, the painted mirror cover flew away, the glass got out, hanging on the heating wires, and the retracting mirror just partly retracted (turned up, halfway if I remember).
When I got all the pieces back together, everything was intact. Just a small mark in the side window, and some stone chips from the cover from falling onto the ground, and a big mark on the black underpart of the mirror where the mirrors met eachother.
Luckily I didn't drive over the cover, and the mirror was held by the wires.
The driver of the van had stopped, and because everything worked from my side, I took some pictures of the van and the data from the enterprise they worked for, but didn't have to use it.

Your story is a bit worse, but on the other side, its is "just" a mirror. It could have been a partial head on collision in the worst case.

Concerning the scratches on the door, you could try a polish, but to get it all away, there must be at least a spot repair, or a complete respray I think.

But first try to get everything settled, as mirror to mirror is mostly each for his own, at least in Belgium.
You could have filled out the accident form (do you have one of these in the UK?), if that guy admitted he was wrong?

Driving along this morning on my own side of the road and there's a small truck coming the other way, I'm doing about 42 in a 50mph zone. At the last second it seemed, he veered into the middle of the road and there was an almighty bang.

My mirror had shattered In the impact, I immediately slowed and could see the truck disappear around a corner further down the road. I pulled over - the driver behind me stopped too. He had a dash cam but it wasn't plugged in (Doh) but he said he saw the whole thing and gave me his details.

It took me a good few minutes before I could turn around, my thought was to chase him down although not much chance I reckoned. About 200 yards down the road I spotted a guy in Hi-Vis walking towards me on the other side of the road, just after this there was a side road % I could see the truck parked there less its mirror.

I peeped the guy and he came over, he apologised stating he was too far over to my side. whilst he walked back towards the scene to retrieve his mirror I phoned the company he worked for, there was no-one who could deal with it there & I was promised a call back. That was around 30 mins ago - I came straight home.

Not sure what to do now particularly re the mirror - is it legal to drive without? do I get someone to come out to me to repair?
How much will it cost? - I'm with Comfort btw.
View attachment 48159View attachment 48160
To be honest save the hassle and go through your insurance. Once you mention the price the guy will undoubtedly deny he was at fault. Leave the people you pay sort it. Similar happened to me on a VW Polo and it ended up at over a grand in the end.

Just got a price from Marshalls Scunthorpe £360.43 inc VAT fitted (the parts are £224.83) booked in for Saturday morning.

Back