Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ad Blue top up

Hantshog

Hantshog

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
As part of the emissions adjustment made by VW a couple of years back I get 8 free top ups of Ad Blue. I went to my local VW dealer yesterday for a top up as the display said I had 1400 miles left. However having had it topped up the display now showed 3500 miles in the Ad Blue tank. So the garage had put in 2000 miles worth of Ad Blue. Now I seem to recall that when I used to refill the Ad Blue myself, the display showed over 5000 miles range. Last time they refilled it I had about 400 left in the tank before top up and again it wasn’t topped up to 5000 miles left.
So my question is, is a 2000 top up reasonable or have I been short changed? What have others experienced following a top up of Ad Blue.What does your display show after top up? Last time I queried the amount of top up I was bamboozled about how much they can put in and to be fair a range of how much should be added is displayed. I don’t understand why there should be a range of how much should be added. Surely, like a fuel tank, the Ad Blue tank should be filled to the brim.

This thread has some info.

When full there can be as much as 12,500 miles range. I suspect that they’ve only put a litre or two in.

When full there can be as much as 12,500 miles range. I suspect that they’ve only put a litre or two in.
T6 has a much smaller adblu tank than your T6.1 from memory about 4000 miles was maximum range on a full tank.

T6 has a much smaller adblu tank than your T6.1 from memory about 4000 miles was maximum range on a full tank.
Yes, I think its 20L now and was one reason why VW were cutting some options to meet weight constraints.

The OP has a T6, not a T6.1. Its tank is therefore 13 liters maximum.
Mine indicates 6500 km after top up. About 4000 miles.

I just don't think they are that diligent about it.
My dealer did something similar and I was a bit put out about. it without causing fuss because it was a couple of days later when I checked it. So on the survey I mentioned it and quickly forgot about it. The next service and MOT I thought about it but without saying anything it was topped right up.

I seem to recall that my last T6 204 only used to get up to 3500 miles, 4000 at most on a full tank. The 6.1 showed 15,500 miles on collection and then took at least 3000 miles before it started to come down at all.
In any case it’s not a lot of money to get excited about if they see you off for a few litres, even at the currently inflated prices. I wouldn’t worry about it - certainly not worth the diesel and time to go back to the dealer and complain. Nor to go there in the first place for that matter.

Leaves a bitter taste when they invite you to receive a top up, then they don’t top you up. Sounds like (for once, when it suits them!) they may be sticking to the letter of the law (8x5L?), which might suit some customers who drive less than you and have fuller AdBlue tanks at service intervals. But for the sake of a few pounds, why not serve customers properly and top up, encouraging eg. confidence in the garage to properly service their Cali there in future?
£16.20 for 10 litres delivered
https://www.snsppe.co.uk/cart-page?appSectionParams={"origin":"product-page"}

As part of the emissions adjustment made by VW a couple of years back I get 8 free top ups of Ad Blue. I went to my local VW dealer yesterday for a top up as the display said I had 1400 miles left. However having had it topped up the display now showed 3500 miles in the Ad Blue tank. So the garage had put in 2000 miles worth of Ad Blue. Now I seem to recall that when I used to refill the Ad Blue myself, the display showed over 5000 miles range. Last time they refilled it I had about 400 left in the tank before top up and again it wasn’t topped up to 5000 miles left.
So my question is, is a 2000 top up reasonable or have I been short changed? What have others experienced following a top up of Ad Blue.What does your display show after top up? Last time I queried the amount of top up I was bamboozled about how much they can put in and to be fair a range of how much should be added is displayed. I don’t understand why there should be a range of how much should be added. Surely, like a fuel tank, the Ad Blue tank should be filled to the brim.
I had that Adblue software update done and since then it has never shown more than 3500 miles range. Goes down faster than the range says ie do 600 miles (ish) and has gone down by 1000 miles

Previous to that it was as yours with up 6500 miles shown on a fill up.

Enquired about reverting to original Adblue setting but it proved to be a futile exercise.

Last edited:
Back