Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

AdBlue @Aldi

Dave Omni

Dave Omni

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Just been to my local Aldi and they have a large stack of AdBlue in stock 6 litres for £4.99, That’s a really good price, so if you need some it might be worth a trip. Happy Cali Year.

Thanks for the first money saving tip for my Cali in 2019. Happy New Year.

Hi Dave and everyone and Happy New Year,
Was for sometime going to write my opinion about Ad Blue and now prompted by Dave's post.
I personally would not buy discount Ad Blue, just for the small chance the quality isn't right.
Don't know what the risk percentage would be ? 1% ? maybe . Also don't know what damage could be done ?
However for the small difference in price against the VW 10L price , which is around £14 for 10L ( from the VW service department ) that even only tiny risk is just not worth taking .
I've been surprised having bought ad blue from VW dealers in UK , France and Norway how good the price is at the VW dealer .
In Norway it was even cheaper at the dealer than a discount garage .
Just my view :)

Much simpler just to fill up with required amount at a Shell forecourt pump (usually in the HGV area) for about £0.80 per litre. Same as fuel filling where it cuts out when full. Other fuel suppliers also have pumps but usually only where HGV facilities are, some HGV's have been using Adblue since 2009, Euro5 emission requirement.
No cans to mess about with or store.

If you use the pump, do not brim the adblue tank but use the MFD AdBlue display to read the max fill and stop when you reach that amount. Otherwise you stand a chance of getting the problems described in other threads as the system can show a fault and require a dealer visit to fix.

I’ve brimmed mine 4 times at the ad blue pump and there’s not been a problem. Yet.
Have I just tempted fate...:Nailbiting

If you use the pump, do not brim the adblue tank but use the MFD AdBlue display to read the max fill and stop when you reach that amount. Otherwise you stand a chance of getting the problems described in other threads as the system can show a fault and require a dealer visit to fix.
Haven't seen this nor can find it by searching, can you direct to the problem reports please.

I have read the thread about ad blue and I have been looking at my ad blue range ie min to max, I presumed it was in litres but it appears to be in gallons ie at the minute its saying 1100 miles left and min 2.25 max 2.75 or there abouts so thats about 10 to 15 litres so easy to get caught out

It's discussed in a thread of mine, I think. VW Guru gave us a lot if info on various issues.

"Sigh, my warning light is on" or something like that.

Sadly, my warning light is back on again!

I have read the thread about ad blue and I have been looking at my ad blue range ie min to max, I presumed it was in litres but it appears to be in gallons ie at the minute its saying 1100 miles left and min 2.25 max 2.75 or there abouts so thats about 10 to 15 litres so easy to get caught out
I temporarily change the MFD units to litres and then read the adblue amount in litres.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Dealer confirmed today that the tank contents level system can't cope with a 'brim filling' and only put in max figure or less as shown on MFD.
Laser measure and if no liquid surface top to reflect off it won't function correctly.
Technology doesn't always mean progress. Probably cheaper than a float level system which would have corrosion problems, so saying HGV's have an Adblue guage??

I just wait until it says "Max 2.25" then chuck 10 litres in.

Couple of 10ltr can prices that are current 5/4/19

Toolstation £9.99

Halfords buy 2 10ltr cans for £20 (£12.50 for 1 can)

We were told about the issue when we pick our new van up by the salesman.

Back