Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adblue - refilling issues?

Hi @Jabberwocky i actually read this the other day and nearly choked on my coffee the statement totally contradicts what we as technicians have been told by vw to tell our customers and also what we have learnt from working on the systems. I think there is another statement in the manual that states always fill up according to the amount on the instrument cluster. That also concerns me as I had a vehicle in today that said fill with 3 gallons which is 13.6 liters 600ml over the maximum of the 13 liters and would of caused the system to have issues, once I changed the dash to liters and km it calculated it as 11.5 liters required which seemed more plausible so I feel there maybe a software error
3 US gallons ~ 11.5 litres (=11.3562 litres).

Hi @Jabberwocky i actually read this the other day and nearly choked on my coffee the statement totally contradicts what we as technicians have been told by vw to tell our customers and also what we have learnt from working on the systems. I think there is another statement in the manual that states always fill up according to the amount on the instrument cluster. That also concerns me as I had a vehicle in today that said fill with 3 gallons which is 13.6 liters 600ml over the maximum of the 13 liters and would of caused the system to have issues, once I changed the dash to liters and km it calculated it as 11.5 liters required which seemed more plausible so I feel there maybe a software error in the adblue calculation on the dash. My advice would be if filling up from a proper pump like a fuel pump type pump then fill it to it clicks off as you do and don’t add any more. If filling from a bottle then once the display shows 1500 miles remaining put in 10 liters and the tank will be somewhere near full but sat just below the max and not cause any problems.
Thanks for quick reply @Vw guru, I figured this could be a cough/choke moment! Me? I will continue the "one click fill" as is instructed in the manual and take my chances and argue with VW if I have problems citing the advice in the manual on page 270. I hope they are listening!
Oh, bye the way, on page 269 of said manual VW ref page 375 concerning refilling - Ummmm..........absolutely no ref to Adblue let alone refilling on this page. It seems to me that VW are skating on rather thin ice concerning their stance about overfilling and weather its a warranty issue or not.
I guess this storey is set to run a while yet.........

Actually this thread was about my warning light...
True, but the route, unless I missed something, was about Adblue topping up causing your warning light and I think therefore requires more exposure/debate/discussion.

True, but the route, unless I missed something, was about Adblue topping up causing your warning light and I think therefore requires more exposure/debate/discussion.
Put it in a new thread then, please return my title.

Hi @Amarillo thats interesting considering the dash is set to Uk gallons I had not considered the US gallon. I will look into it on a few more T6 derivatives and see if it’s a running trend, :thumb
In my T6 Beach settings menu I have a choice of four consumption and distance formats.

l/100 km, km
km/l, km
mpg (uk), mi
mpg (us), mi

In my T6 Beach settings menu I have a choice of four consumption and distance formats.

l/100 km, km
km/l, km
mpg (uk), mi
mpg (us), mi

Hi yes standard across all the high line dash inserts the issue with the T6 I had today was that it was set to uk gallons until I changed it to liters as our pump is in liters just saves maths at 7am on a Saturday morning:D. 3 uk gallons was implausible to me and just something I thought I need to look into.

I am trying to help here.............
@Jay586 So did I miss that your issue was not about adblue top up and a warning light as a result? All I was trying to do was extend your audience in order to obtain a more complete, ongoing picture.

Thanks for quick reply @Vw guru, I figured this could be a cough/choke moment! Me? I will continue the "one click fill" as is instructed in the manual and take my chances and argue with VW if I have problems citing the advice in the manual on page 270. I hope they are listening!
Oh, bye the way, on page 269 of said manual VW ref page 375 concerning refilling - Ummmm..........absolutely no ref to Adblue let alone refilling on this page. It seems to me that VW are skating on rather thin ice concerning their stance about overfilling and weather its a warranty issue or not.
I guess this storey is set to run a while yet.........
I hope this thread is alive. So, if after the fill notification, I put 8 ltrs instead of the max of 4.1 is it considered "overfill"?

I hope this thread is alive. So, if after the fill notification, I put 8 ltrs instead of the max of 4.1 is it considered "overfill"?
Yes, I would say so. I always wait until the tank is nearly empty and then refill, with no more than the max shown on the dash (I always do this at a petrol station because I think it’s easier/cleaner than mucking about with containers). I usually put 10L in with only a few hundred miles left to go. In fact I did it yesterday - the dash showed 400 miles range and max 2.25 gal (=10.2L), so I put 10L in.

Back