Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

AdBlue warning

Chiroshi

Chiroshi

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
My T6 displays an AdBlue warning at 2500km range. This seems really excessive given how readily abailable AdBlue is, and means I’m driving about 50% of the time with the warning on unless I keep the tank constantly topped up. As I’ve heard it’s not a good idea to store AdBlue long term, this forces me to buy it regularly and in smaller quantities. Otherwise I have to accept that my van will give me an unneccesary warning which requires clearing manually everytime I start the engine. Is there anyway to change the warning range?

Good evening,

Just recently the AdBlue warning came up on my camper. With a remaining distance of 2,400 km the refill would have been something between 5L and 8.5L.

After the warning came up, the next journey was just only into the next village (can't go far anyway because of Covid) the distance dropped quickly to 2,200 km. Why this happened so quickly driving only a few kilometers I don't know.

After that I went to VW to get one of my free AdBlue topup after the software update. I didn't want to take any risks. Because the camper is my only car, I didn't want to take any risks to get stranded or forced to buy AdBlue (it is Murphy's Law that it will happen at the most inconvinient time).

The point I want to make is that I wouldn't trust the 2,400 km to much and fill up soon - just in case.

Regards,
Eberhard

My T6 displays an AdBlue warning at 2500km range. This seems really excessive given how readily abailable AdBlue is, and means I’m driving about 50% of the time with the warning on unless I keep the tank constantly topped up. As I’ve heard it’s not a good idea to store AdBlue long term, this forces me to buy it regularly and in smaller quantities. Otherwise I have to accept that my van will give me an unneccesary warning which requires clearing manually everytime I start the engine. Is there anyway to change the warning range?
Unfortunately no, on your question.

My van, shows the warning, but as soon as I start moving, switches to the large speedo display. Same van as yours.

Can you not just click the down button on your steering and switch to another screen or is that what you mean "clearing manually"?

Unfortunately no, on your question.

My van, shows the warning, but as soon as I start moving, switches to the large speedo display. Same van as yours.

Can you not just click the down button on your steering and switch to another screen or is that what you mean "clearing manually"?
Yes, I can do three down clicks on the steering wheel to get back to the speed display. But it's kind of irritating to have to do it every time. For whatever reason, my max Adblue range doesn't seem to be much more than 4000km, so why should a warning come on at 2500km? It doesn't make any logical sense.

Yes, I can do three down clicks on the steering wheel to get back to the speed display. But it's kind of irritating to have to do it every time. For whatever reason, my max Adblue range doesn't seem to be much more than 4000km, so why should a warning come on at 2500km? It doesn't make any logical sense.
I agree completely!
It is an unnecessary irritation!

Hello,

The AdBlue range should be something between 6,000 and 8,000 km. Obviously it depends on driving circumstances, style or if the software update is installed or not.

As I experienced last week the remaining distance of AdBlue can drop rapidly (why this is the case I don't know). According to the manual if there is no sufficient amount of AdBlue available the van won't start. At that point it seems a normal top-up of AdBlue won't solve the issue, meaning that VW or AA has to look after the van.

This can become a huge issue and because of this I believe VW want to be on the safe side and give plenty of warning. I wonder how other manufacturers have organized the refill?

What I think the real problem is, is the refill of the AdBlue system is not that robust and needs to be done with care. Because if something goes wrong (overfill) it can be a very expensive repair.

Regards,
Eberhard

After having the Adblue Software update on my 204 the range on full tank never shows more than 3500mls (5600kms approx) despite 3 top ups to MFD guide figure and drops quite rapidly.
The update was done just prior to the Covid start and therefore my mileage has been way down with the result that I haven't been able to get long term range and consumption figures.
Previously 4500 was normal with 6000 being indicated a few times.

I haven't had any early warnings as yet but then not got down to lower levels before topping up. (had a 10ltr can to use up so kept topping up after each trip)

Adblue is good for over 12 months. Produced date will be on a can if bought by that method.

Last edited:
Due to the caution in overfilling the AdBlue by the dealer and my regime of only putting in 10L when space allows, I very rarely ever see the range about 4500miles.

I usually wait until the MFD says I can put in 5L. Once done the Adblue range comes up as 5500 miles.

I don't have a problem with topping up, it's just the early appearance and persistance on the MFD that irritates me.

Back