Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adblue - where are fellow T6 owners getting topped up

CALI FATE

CALI FATE

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi - my adblue tank is needing topping up and wondered where fellow owners are getting topped up. I have just ordered 20 litres via Amazon for £28.00 - which i calculate will last around 12000 miles. It all seems the same kit, but the price varies quite a bit. Its all new to me so wondered what everyone else is doing - i assume in time we will be able to top up at the petrol station

Hi - my adblue tank is needing topping up and wondered where fellow owners are getting topped up. I have just ordered 20 litres via Amazon for £28.00 - which i calculate will last around 12000 miles. It all seems the same kit, but the price varies quite a bit. Its all new to me so wondered what everyone else is doing - i assume in time we will be able to top up at the petrol station
Any Petrol station that sells Diesel also has Adblue normally in 1 & 5 & 10 Litre packs.

Adblue ----in practice
  • where do you add it
  • how long before top up
  • how much per mile does it add to running costs (from 1st post looks like not too much)
  • what happen's if it runs out

Adblue ----in practice
  • where do you add it
  • how long before top up
  • how much per mile does it add to running costs (from 1st post looks like not too much)
  • what happen's if it runs out
The filler is below the diesel filler.
4500 miles which is displayed on the MFD and seems to drop in 500 mile increments.
It also tells you what the max and min you can fill it up, although both reading the same at the mo, will see if these alter with use.
e23a4688ceb63923e2f3a357a15293d0.jpg

Not sure I have 3500 left so haven't given it much though until this post.
It stops working and has to be taken to a garage to have its software reset and a refill. But it does put at least 2 warnings up before this happens according to the dealer. Pic of warning light info.
b5be0e1c8226e66ad67193e2baca636c.jpg

(Off to have a look to see where best to get it from).

Last edited:
Hi Tim, just had a quick look and that seems a good enough deal but I think you might have to decant it into a smaller container and then use a funnel? I was told about a container with a bayonet fitting on like this
REDEX ADBLUE 1.5 LITRE https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TXDSRW8/?tag=eliteelect-21
But that is a lot of money for 1.5 Ltrs.
Search continues....

The most common 10 litre can sold at garageshas a blue s rew on tube to help pore it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Our local Esso has an AdBlue pump. I bet we'll see more of these soon.

What is AdBlue?!

What is AdBlue?!

I suggest you do a Google search. You'll need it to run your T6 or you won't be going anywhere.

£15 for 10 litres on Amazon, don't think I'll be filling up from the petrol stations, or the dealer!!

Well i just filled up today - i put in 10 litres and now have 5000 miles on the tank, a consideration if you are planning a trip of over 5000 miles. The filling process is easy and i didnt spill a drop or got any on my hands. I ordered a cheap Draper funnel from Amazon that seems to be designed for the job I must say it doesn't smell of pigs pee - odourless id say.

Well i just filled up today - i put in 10 litres and now have 5000 miles on the tank, a consideration if you are planning a trip of over 5000 miles. The filling process is easy and i didnt spill a drop or got any on my hands. I ordered a cheap Draper funnel from Amazon that seems to be designed for the job I must say it doesn't smell of pigs pee - odourless id say.
I did mine yesterday!
10litres from Amazon with a funnel that came with the bottle. Pretty easy and stress free.
Mine says 4500 mile range though! :(
You win this time Tim.

I did mine yesterday!
10litres from Amazon with a funnel that came with the bottle. Pretty easy and stress free.
Mine says 4500 mile range though! :(
You win this time Tim.
Thats interesting Davey - you must be driving a bit harder than me. Are you happy with the Beach - have you seen a fellow Grape Yellow one yet ? - i am hooked

Thats interesting Davey - you must be driving a bit harder than me. Are you happy with the Beach - have you seen a fellow Grape Yellow one yet ? - i am hooked
Haha maybe I am!
I am hooked too. Still look forward to driving every day. Not seen another grape on the road yet! Waved at a sunny yellow beach yesterday. We beamed at each other. Kindred spirits!
You seen any near you?

The filler is below the diesel filler.
4500 miles which is displayed on the MFD and seems to drop in 500 mile increments.
It also tells you what the max and min you can fill it up, although both reading the same at the mo, will see if these alter with use.
e23a4688ceb63923e2f3a357a15293d0.jpg

Not sure I have 3500 left so haven't given it much though until this post.
It stops working and has to be taken to a garage to have its software reset and a refill. But it does put at least 2 warnings up before this happens according to the dealer. Pic of warning light info.
b5be0e1c8226e66ad67193e2baca636c.jpg

(Off to have a look to see where best to get it from).
The min and max figures do alter with use. Thought they would but you never know.
b31a42799d891c2165a41c7ab23e3468.jpg

avoid the cheap adblue stuff sold on Amazon and eBay, this is made in China, there is quite a bit of info on this in motoring magazines as the quality is very poor.
That's good to know

Mike

avoid the cheap adblue stuff sold on Amazon and eBay, this is made in China, there is quite a bit of info on this in motoring magazines as the quality is very poor.
Thanks Duncan,

So, according to the motoring magazines you mention, are petrol stations (such as the Esso or Shell garage near the Preston VW dealers, mentioned above) a safer bet, or do they just recommend manufacturer supplied product?

I haven't seen anything about Adblue and need to learn, as it will become a permanent part of my motoring routine soon.

It was mainly saying to avoid buying online from unknown sellers ( ebay etc.) i suspect all the AdBlue on garage foecourts are fine and also if buying from the likes of Euro Car Parts etc.

My dealer told me to be careful if I'm refilling the system myself, in that it's important that air doesn't enter while filling. Anyone else heard this? Anyone refilled themselves yet?

If you have a commercial vehicle motor factors near you (e.g. Dingbro or Fleet Factors) they will sell the 10L container to you as a cash sale. This comes with its own special nozzle sized tube. The ad blu tank is vented to atmosphere so it doesn't matter if some air goes in the tank along with the product Since euro 5 and recently 6 engines have been the norm in commercial vehicles over the past 10 years, selective catalytic reduction (SCR) i.e. the injection of ad blu into the exhaust system has been the main means to reduce harmful nitrogen oxides exiting a diesel engine's exhaust. In those 10 years I was horrified at the frequency of very expensive damage caused to fuel injection systems and ad blu dosing systems by 'drivers' managing to mis-fill ad blu tanks with diesel and vice versa. Be very careful filling up your ad blu and diesel tanks!
Retired fleet engineer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back