Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adblue

john eagle

john eagle

Eaglehead
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi I am in the process of getting a 2017 T6. How does the adblue work and how often does it need to be added?

Hi I am in the process of getting a 2017 T6. How does the adblue work and how often does it need to be added?
Most seem to top up every 4000 miles or so, a warning notice appears that advises 1200 miles to go before running out. I top up at a local Shell garage commercial pump at about 70 p a litre, takes about 10 litres at a time. There have been warnings on this site about overfilling but not normally a problem if you stop at the first click of pump.

If you overfill, it won't do you any harm. Its's animal urine, so just make sure you wash your hands afterwards!

AdBlue Specification as per ISO 22241.
SpecificationMinimumMaximumWeight
Urea Content31.833.2%
Density + 20°C1.08701.0930g/cm3
Refracting index + 20°C1.38141.3843
Alkalinity as NH3 0.2%
Biuret 0.3%
Aldehyde 5 mg/kg 5mg/kg
Insolubles 20 mg/kg 20mg/kg
Phosphate (PO4) 0.5mg/kg
Calcium 0.5mg/kg
Iron 0.5mg/kg
Copper 0.2mg/kg
Zinc 0.2mg/kg
Chromium 0.2mg/kg
Nickel 0.2mg/kg
Aluminium 0.5mg/kg
Magnesium 0.5mg/kg
Sodium 0.5mg/kg
Potassium 0.5mg/kg

If you overfill, it won't do you any harm. Its's animal urine, so just make sure you wash your hands afterwards!

DONT overfill, although you can wash it off, it MAY cause a fault, has been discussed at length on here.

How / Why?

Sorry, above wasn't meant to be blunt. Just curious as I work for a Ship Owner where some ships use Scrubbers to 'clean' emissions (some similar to using ADBLUE) so interested as to how it might cause an issue. Cheers, Dave.

I tend to wait until the MFD tells me I need to put 2.25 gallons in. That is more or less 10 litres and a container that size can be picked up almost anywhere if there is no handy garage with a pump available.

Sorry, above wasn't meant to be blunt. Just curious as I work for a Ship Owner where some ships use Scrubbers to 'clean' emissions (some similar to using ADBLUE) so interested as to how it might cause an issue. Cheers, Dave.
That's okay.
as @VW Guru has mentioned in his informative post on the subject, the level in the adblue tank is measured using an ultrasonic sensor mounted at the bottom of the tank, to correctly measure the level there needs to be an air gap at the top.
If you brim the tank the sensor can go into fault and no longer be calibrated and this leads to a fault and an engine light on. this can lead to it stopping the van star,. and trip on a flatbed to the dealer.

So a trip to the dealer to reset what seems to be a basic level sensor, would assume that the actual dosage is not impacted by accidental overfilling(some might say easy $$ for some.). Wouldn’t wash in my industry as the end users would kick back. Will step off my soapbox!

So a trip to the dealer to reset what seems to be a basic level sensor, would assume that the actual dosage is not impacted by accidental overfilling(some might say easy $$ for some.). Wouldn’t wash in my industry as the end users would kick back. Will step off my soapbox!
I agree its a pants idea, but some have fallen foul of it..

As a rough estimate, I fill the AdBlue tank about once every ten diesel refills. I use a commercial vehicle AdBlue pump at a local garage.

I get ~2,200 mpg for AdBlue.

Adblue is injected directly into the exhaust system to assist in the Nox reduction process. it basically aids the system to clear soot deposits out when it turns to ammonia in order for the emissions system to be fully functioning.

Some vehicle manufacturers don't need it but sadly VW do. It is a periodic process rather than a continuous feed/pumping one.

The Cali doesn't have a conventional float level sensor in the Adblue tank just some sensing method that reflects a beam off the top surface which if the tank is filled to the brim, ie. past the beam max point, the system goes wrong and causes potentially expensive problems which VW deem is a driver caused problem (pilot error)

I no longer fill at pumps for that reason.

Hi to all on the forum,
Is there a specific make of adblue that is better for the Cali than any other ? Or is it a case of shopping around for the best price ( I’m talking about filling yourself from a bottle) I have seen some various on the market one being Kemetyl .....never heard of this make but does conform as do most to the ISO standard 22241
Any advise would be helpful, I know this topic has been covered over and over, but just looking for peoples general feelings towards manufacturers,
Cheers folks. Paul

There aren't many producers of Adblue but without research it would be hard to trace any particular Brand. I'd stick to the more well known sources as in annual terms you aren't going to save much by shopping around.
Cheapest are forecourt pump sources such as Shell. Other sources such as Halfords do special offers at times.

I may be wrong but I'd say that Kemetyl merely package and distribute Adblue rather than manufacture it. You'd be paying more than pump price by as much as 90% for a 10 ltr fill up.

Like every product these days Adblue will attract the quick buck brigade.

There aren't many producers of Adblue but without research it would be hard to trace any particular Brand. I'd stick to the more well known sources as in annual terms you aren't going to save much by shopping around.
Cheapest are forecourt pump sources such as Shell. Other sources such as Halfords do special offers at times.

I may be wrong but I'd say that Kemetyl merely package and distribute Adblue rather than manufacture it. You'd be paying more than pump price by as much as 90% for a 10 ltr fill up.

Like every product these days Adblue will attract the quick buck brigade.
Thanks very much, thought it was worth a quick post just to add any extra information to the already mentioned Q&A here on the forum.
I’ve been out this morning and managed to acquire some from my local Screwfix, thought I would stick with a known brand, apparently a new item in their catalogue......Redex 5 Litres for £7.99 a little more than filling at the pump but better than some I’ve seen. Shell are selling 1.5 litre bottle for a whopping £10 !! :rolleyes:

Halfords currently £12.50 for 10ltrs or £18.75 for 2 x 10ltrs.

Shell main/large forecourts have an Adblue pump in the HGV area.

Halfords currently £12.50 for 10ltrs or £18.75 for 2 x 10ltrs.

Shell main/large forecourts have an Adblue pump in the HGV area.
Will take a trip out to Halfords tomorrow, Screwfix 10 litre at £11.99 were out of stock, so got 5 litre as I am getting low.Will stock up ready for next time ! Thanks B J G

That ultrasonic beam thingy sounds expensive .and a pretty bad idea???
I hope it’s reliable ????
I plan on keeping our new California for some years!!!! :)
why not use a good old float valve vw??? WOW
Pig urine and ultrasonic beams
What next ;)

Will take a trip out to Halfords tomorrow, Screwfix 10 litre at £11.99 were out of stock, so got 5 litre as I am getting low.Will stock up ready for next time ! Thanks B J G
I believe that AdBlue has a shelf life of c,18 months.

£9.99 for 10 litres of Redex adblue in Toolstation and free delivery if you buy 2 or spend over £10

Adblue is Registered Trade Mark and licensees will have to produce to the ISO to use it, so even cheap adblue should meet the standard.

Remember, Adblue has a shelf life.